T14 Heavy/Assault Tank

Quirkless

T14  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this tank in the game?

• Yes
    • No (Please specify why)
    • Unsure (Please specify why)

300px-Assault-tank-T-14.jpg

EDIT: redoing the entire thing because I made this thread two years ago

Hello everybody! I am here today to discuss the possibility of a low tier American Heavy Tank - The T14 Heavy Assault Tank. I believe this tank should be a premium at anywhere from 3.7-4.3, as it should be able to hold its own against other tanks at the tier, while they still have a fair chance of fighting it.

t14_assault_gun-39138.jpg

Background:

The Assault Tank T14 was a joint project between the United States and the United Kingdom. The T14 tank was supposed to be a design that was to be shared by both countries to give a heavy infantry tank for both countries. A pilot model was not delivered to the UK by 1944 by which time the British Churchill tank had been in service for two years and greatly improved over its initial model. The T14 project never came to fruition. US efforts working on a similarly well-armoured tank but with a higher speed for use other than in infantry support led to the T20 Medium Tank.

In 1941, the head of the United States Ordnance Department travelled to Britain to learn of their experience, ideas and requirements for the future. Among the discussion was the possibility of designing a well-armed and armoured combat vehicle, one that was stronger than the British Churchill infantry tank then in production. The tank design would have a British QF 6-pounder (57 mm) or a US 75mm gun and share many parts with the M4 Sherman; they had the same armour thickness, but with armour sloping at extreme angles, effective armour on the T14 was greatly increased to 101mm.

The British initially ordered 8,500 in 1942 following which detail design work started. Testing of the pilot model which was completed in 1944 showed the vehicle to be much too heavy for practical use. By this time, the British Army was satisfied with the Churchill and its cruiser tank designs and further production of the T14 was halted. Only two were built; one tested in the US and the other sent to Britain. The example sent to Britain survives in The Tank Museum, Bovington. The British had developed the Heavy Assault Tank A33 "Excelsior" design to the same specification as the T14 but this did not go into service either.

i763w5lpxejiijhzg.jpg

Stats and Specifications:

Weight: 47 tons

Length: 6.19 m (20 ft 4 in)

Width: 3.17 m (10 ft 5 in)

Height: 2.99 m (9 ft 10 in)

Crew: 5 (Commander, gunner, loader, driver, co-driver)

Armor: 133mm Main armament 75mm M3 Gun: 50 rounds

Secondary armament: .50 M2 Browning machine gun (12.7mm)

2x .30 M1919 Browning machine gun (7.62mm) 9,000 rounds

Engine: Ford GAZ V8 520 hp (390 kW)

Power/weight: 12.86 hp/ton

Suspension: VVSS

Operational range: 100 mi (161 km)

Speed: 28 km/h (17 mph)

Image result for t14 assault tank

I hope you consider!

Here you can find a gallery of pictures of the T14 at Bovington.

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/t14.htm

You can find a full report on the tank here (Thanks to zuegma):

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/b965290.pdf

Sorces:

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/tanks/tanks-t/39138/view/t14_assault_gun/

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=777

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T14_Heavy_Tank

Edited by ThatCoolGuy
  • Upvote 35
medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

open for discussion

• Upvote 1

it's 75mm gun can't penetrate its own armor when its angled.

The KV-1E's 76.2mm gun can't penetrate a regular KV at anything less than point blank range and even then it's iffy, KV-1E vs KV-1E and all they can do is face hug. And yet I still love the KV-1E.

Besides, side and rear armour is comparable to a T-34, only a little thicker at about the same slope, turret front at ~75mm (Cos screw the Imperial system yo, metric 4 lyfe) is the same as a KV-1 and upper frontal armour is thinner than that of a Sherman but at a steeper angle. And that MG port looks like a massive weakspot.

So yea, as a rank 2 premium this would have my support

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal

I was actually shocked that this wasn't already in as a premium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HOt0ZOcYk

The US GF premium tree is clearly missing :Ps
Anyway, why not? Premium: it does not have to be full production
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

well we already have the Tiger P, T32, and the Panther 2, none of which were mass-production tanks, in game.

Tiger P saw combat in Kursk. Most of Tiger P chasis was used on Fredinands/Elephants. That tank is more then a prototype. Panther 2 and T32 are pure nonsense in this game. I have never supported such vehicles and Im not a fan of blueprints tanks/planes, prototypes in general. Because we have prototypes that I or other players did not have a chance to support or we were not ask if we want them I will not support adding more of such.

So it is no from me.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

YES. Have as a British Premium though as it was a export tank for them. This tank existed and only didn't enter service because better tanks came along so I would like to see this tank in game.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

YES. Have as a British Premium though as it was a export tank for them. This tank existed and only didn't enter service because better tanks came along so I would like to see this tank in game.

The A33 was the more British equivalent
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The A33 was the more British equivalent

Suppose that could be the British equivalent, But I definately recall the British were to share usage of the T14 and involved in the design and development. Though now, the Americans could keep the T14 and the British could preferably have the A33 'Excelsior'.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Looks great +1  :salute:

but next time please don't just copy and paste directly from Wikipedia...

Edited by Heinkel280
medal medal medal

no, wasnt in service

Although it was close, in fact 8,500 were ordered by the British alone. Only the tank was too heavy to transport in mass and thus was seen impracticable for use.

medal medal medal

Looks great +1  :salute:

but next time please don't just copy and paste directly from Wikipedia...

Not all of it is from wikipedia o3o

most of it is though :P

Edited by ThatCoolGuy
medal