More Panzer II variants (Ausf. D, G, L, J)

CokeSpray

295 members have voted

1. 1. What variants would you like to see in game?

• Panzer II Ausf. D
    • Panzer II Ausf. G
    • Panzer II Ausf. L
    • Panzer II Ausf. J
    • I don't want to see any of them/I don't support this

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

We currently only have 3 variants of the Panzer II in game,namely the Ausf. C,F and H. However,I think the German tree could use more Panzer IIs as they played an essential role in the early stages of the war. So,I present to you 4 variants which I think would be great additions to the low tier German tank tree.

The first tank I suggest is the;

Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. D

The Panzer II Ausf. D was a version of the Panzer II tank which had a new torsion bar system with four road wheels. The Ausf. D was developed as a cavalry tank for use in the pursuit and reconnaissance roles. Apart from the turret,which was the same as on the Ausf. C we already have in the game,everything was redesigned. The new design had a new hull and superstructure and it used the Maybach HL62TRM engine driving a 7 gear transmission (plus reverse). 

The design was shorter (4.65 m) but wider (2.3 m) and taller (2.06 m) than the Ausf. C. Speed was increased to 55 km/h. A total of 143 Ausf. D and Ausf. E tanks were built from May 1938 through August 1939 by MAN, and they served in Poland. They were withdrawn in March 1940 for conversion to other types after proving to have poor off-road performance.

Side by side comparison of the Ausf. C with Ausf. D

Panzer_II_Ausf_C_Russia.png         Panzer_II_AusfD.png

Panzer II Ausf. C                                                                                   Panzer II Ausf. D

Specifications:

Mass: 11 tonnes

Dimensions: 4.65m (Length) / 2.3m (Width) / 2.06m (Height)

Engine: Maybach HL 62 TR (140 hp)

Top speed: 55 km/h / 34 mph

Hull armor: 35/15/15 mm

Turret armor : 30/15/15 mm

Crew: 3

Armament:

1x20mm KwK 30 cannon 

1x7.92mm MG 34 coax.

Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. G 

The fourth and final suspension configuration used for the Panzer II tanks was the five overlapping road wheel configuration termed Schachtellaufwerk by the Germans. This was used as the basis for the redesign of the Panzer II into a reconnaissance tank with high speed and good off-road performance. The Ausf. G was the first Panzer II to use this configuration, and was developed under the experimental designation VK 901. There is no record of the Ausf. G being issued to combat units, and only 12 full vehicles were built from April 1941 to February 1942 by MAN.

panzer-ii-g-1.jpg

Specifications:

Mass: 10.5 tonnes

Dimensions:  4.24m (length) / 2.38m (width) /  2.05m (height)

Engine: Maybach HL66P (180 hp)

Top speed: 50kph / 31mph

Hull armor: 30/20/15 mm

Turret armor: 30 / 15 / 15 mm

Armament:

Main armament: 7.92x94 mm MG141 automatic rifle

Secondary armament: 7.92 mm MG34 machine gun, coax.

7.92x94 MG 141 Auto rifle specifications,provided by Shinzu:

MG 141

Caliber: 7.9mm
Catridge: 318
Muzzle Velocity: 1160m/s
Projectile Weight: 14.6g
Muzzle Energy: 1mt
Catridge Length: 118mm
Catridge Weight: 86g
Weapon Weight: 22.5kg
Weapon Length: 1742mm
Barrel Length: 1000mm
Rounds/Min: 900
Feed System: Blowback with ammo belt feed from the right

Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. L "Luchs"

A light reconnaissance tank, the Ausf. L, was the only Panzer II design with the Schachtellaufwerk overlapping/interleaved road wheels and "slack track" configuration to enter series production, with 100 being built from September 1943 to January 1944 in addition to the conversion of the four Ausf. M tanks. Originally given the experimental designation VK 1303, it was adopted under the alternate name Panzerspähwagen II and given the popular name Luchs (Lynx). The Luchs was larger than the Ausf. G in most dimensions (length 4.63 m; height 2.21 m; width 2.48 m). It was equipped with a six speed transmission (plus reverse), and could reach a speed of 60 km/h with a range of 290 km. The FuG12 and FuG Spr a radios were installed, while 330 rounds of 20 mm and 2,250 rounds of 7.92 mm ammunition were carried. Total vehicle weight was 11.8 tonnes.

luchs.jpg

Specifications:

Mass: 11.8 tonnes

Dimensions: 4.63m (length) / 2.48 (width) / 2.21m (height)

Engine: Maybach HL66P (180 hp)

Top speed: 60 kph / 37 mph

Hull armor : 30 / 20 / 20 mm

Turret armor: 30 / 20 / 20 mm

Armament:

Main armament: 20mm KwK 38 L/55

Secondary armament: 7.92mm MG 34 coax.

Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. J

Continued development of the reconnaissance tank concept led to the much up-armored Ausf. J, which used the same concept as the Pz.Kpfw. IF of the same period, under the experimental designation VK 1601. Heavier armor was added, bringing protection up to 80 mm on the front (similar to the maximum armor found on the KV-1 model 1941 Soviet heavy tank) and 50 mm to the sides and rear, with 25 mm roof and floor plates, increasing total weight to 18 tonnes. Equipped with the same Maybach HL45P as the Pz.Kpfw. IF, top speed was reduced to 31 km/h (19 mph). Primary armament was the 2 cm KwK 38 L/55 gun. 22 were produced by MAN between April and December 1942.

pziijsp_1.jpg

Specifications:

Mass: 18 tonnes

Dimensions:  ? / ? / ?

Engine: Maybach HL45P (160 hp)

Top speed: 31 kph / 19 mph

Hull armor: 80 / 50 / 50mm

Turret armor: 80 / 50 / 50

Armament:

Main armament: 20mm KwK 38 L/55

Secondary armament: 7.92mm MG34 coax.

A couple more words at the end here. I've put "?" in some places,which means I couldn't find reliable data for that parameter and I'd like to ask for help from the community to help me find the missing data. So feel free to suggest edits for the unknown parameters.

That's all I have to say here,now let's discuss it!

Sources: Wikipedia, Tanks encyclopedia,Achtung Panzer

Edited by CokeSpray
  • Upvote 44

More Panzer II's for the Panzer God!!! I support all of these BTW. The more light tanks, the better.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

More Panzer II's for the Panzer God!!! I support all of these BTW. The more light tanks, the better.

wouldn't call the Ausf.J "Light"

:3

• Upvote 2
medal medal

I like the idea for the sake of the idea, but I don't see the point to them... :/

Maybe if a scouting mechanism such as lighting up a vehicle in RB or SB with their location on the map or a tag were to be implemented they could do things in that role, or just serve as more vehicles for anyone that likes the Panzer II's. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

wouldn't call the Ausf.J "Light"

:3

A light heavy tank xD

• Haha 2

Your panzer 2 j specs don't match the paragraph you posted, probably a good idea to change that, other than that, I would like to see these in game.

Thank you for pointing it out,fixed it now. Might have been a typo as I was writing this late at night yesterday :)

• Upvote 2

+1  :salute:

But

I think need a poll with the versions.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Der Wehrmacht need moar Panzer!

I support. Also, you can borrow soma data from WOT, which has all the versions.

I don't trust data from WOT tbh. When I searched for data,the first thing google brought up was the wot wiki and other wot-related sites,and I didn't know if I could trust them,so I didn't use the information provided there and don't think I will.

+1  :salute:

But

I think need a poll with the versions.

Poll added.

Cokespray, i already made suggestion regarding the Panzerkampfwagen  Ausführung J:

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/178001-panzer-2-j/

From what I can see your suggestion was suggested in September 2014,which is almost a year ago. I've included it in this suggestion as well cause it fits nicely with the other ones and it wouldn't hurt bringing it up again. :)

Edited by CokeSpray

Poll added.

Vote added!  ;)s

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

Suggestion edited : some places with unknown (?) data are now filled in and include data.

Edited by CokeSpray

The more tanks the merrier!  I could see these tanks placed in the standard tech tree but definitely not the Premium Tree.  However I somewhat see these vehicles as possible unlocks after completing challenges but not that many people would feel motivated to unlock another series of Pz II variants - unless they enjoy collecting vehicles such as myself.

medal medal medal medal medal

I would support the L and J in 2016 and rest in 2017 - certainly should be added to the todo list as they gradually fill up the tank trees.

Yes,IMO L and J are the priority variants and would love to see them in 2016. :))

The more tanks the merrier!  I could see these tanks placed in the standard tech tree but definitely not the Premium Tree.  However I somewhat see these vehicles as possible unlocks after completing challenges but not that many people would feel motivated to unlock another series of Pz II variants - unless they enjoy collecting vehicles such as myself.

You reckon people wouldn't be motivated to unlock a Panzer II Ausf. J which has 80mm of frontal armor (which is more then enough at Tier 1-2 to bounce shots from most vehicles) by doing tasks like in Summertime madness? I think they would,I certainly would!  :Ds

• Upvote 1

+1

Ausf D and Ausf L to the normal tree Ausf J as a premium.

I don't want to Ausf G (the armament is just... no)

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal