slowblade

Scimitar F.1  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this ingame?

• Yes!
    • Maybe
    • No
  2. 2. What BR?

Since the recent devblog of the MiG-17, I think this could be the perfect British Royal Navy plane to contend with it since it has round about the same flight performance (In some cases, better) and Britian are in dire need of a high tier Naval jet.

The Supermarine Scimitar was a British naval fighter aircraft operated by the Royal Navy. The prototype for the eventual production version flew in January 1956 and production aircraft were delivered in 1957. It saw service with the Royal Navy from 1958 until 1969.  The Scimitar stemmed from a number of designs from Supermarine for a naval jet aircraft, initially to a requirement for an undercarriage-less fighter aircraft to land on flexible "sprung" rubber decks, which would allow for a lighter and simpler structure. Supermarine's design to meet this requirement was the Type 505, featuring a thin, straight wing and a v-tail (or "butterfly tail") to keep the tail surfaces away from the jet exhausts, and to be powered by two Rolls-Royce Avon 202 turbojets, mounted side-by-side in the fuselage. In 1948, the Admiralty had second thoughts about the undercarriage-less fighter, and Supermarine reworked their design by including a nosewheel undercarriage becoming the Type 508.  The Vickers-Supermarine Type 508 was the first Scimitar ancestor, and shared the basic layout of the Type 505, i.e. a twin-engined straight-winged type with V-tail. Pitch control was by moving the whole tail, with elevators for additional pitch control when working in tandem, and to replace the rudder on a conventional tail when working differentially. Ailerons were fitted to the wings for lateral control, and both leading and trailing edge flaps were also fitted to the wings. An order for three Type 508s was placed in November 1947, to Specification N.9/47. The first Type 508 made its maiden flight from Boscombe Down airfield on 31 August 1951, with the aircraft carrying out carrier trials aboard HMS Eagle in May 1952. The second aircraft had significant differences, carrying a cannon armament, and different enough in detail to be redesignated the Type 529, flying for the first time on 29 August 1952. One unusual modification was the larger tailcone that was to accommodate a proposed tail-warning radar. The maximum speed of the straight-winged Type 508 and 529 was relatively modest, with the Type 529 reaching 607 mph (977 km/h), and it had already been decided when the Type 508 first flew to redesign the third prototype with swept wings to improve performance. The resulting Type 525 also featured conventional swept tail surfaces as well as blown flaps to reduce the aircraft's landing speed, and first flew on 27 April 1954. It later crashed but the basic design had already proved sound enough to proceed with an outwardly fairly similar looking aircraft, the Type 544, to specification N.113. A total of 100 were ordered although the Royal Navy had changed the specification to a low level strike aircraft with nuclear capability rather than a dedicated fighter. The first of the Type 544s serving as prototypes for the later production series flew on 19 January 1956. The aircraft evolved more with the third Type 544 incorporating different aerodynamic changes and a stronger airframe strengthened for the new low level role. Various aerodynamic "fixes" to try and counter pitch-up effects at high speed and altitude included flared-out wingtips and wing fences. The tailplane was also changed from dihedral to anhedral. The combined modifications led to the final Type 544 being considered the "production standard". The first production Scimitar flew on 11 January 1957.  Although the Scimitar could be configured as a fighter, the interceptor role was covered by the de Havilland Sea Vixen. In the attack role it was replaced by the Blackburn Buccaneer The Scimitar was retained initially as a tanker to allow the underpowered Buccaneer S.1 to be launched from aircraft carriers with a useful weapons load. To save weight, the Buccaneer would take off with minimum fuel then top up from a Scimitar. Late in the Scimitar's operational career, examples were flown between 1965 and 1970 by the Fleet Requirements Unit (FRU) based at Bournemouth Airport (Hurn). The FRU was managed by Airwork Services and provided realistic flight operations for land and sea based naval training units.

Specifications

Type: Naval fighter

Crew: 1

Number built: 76

Length: 55ft 3in (16.84m)

Wingspan: 37ft 2in (11.37m)

Wing area: 485ft² (45.06m²)

Height: 17ft 4in (5.28m)

Engines: Two Rolls-Royce Avon 202 turbojets generating 11,250Ib of thrust each

Max speed: 736mph (1,185kph)

Range: 1,422 miles (2,289km)

Max altitude: 46,000ft (14,000m)

Empty weight: 23,962Ib (10,869kg)

Max take off weight: 34,200Ib (15,513kg)

Armament: Four 30mm ADEN cannons (160rpg)

Rockets: 16 '60Ib' 76mm RP-3 rockets (four on each hardpoint)

Bombload: Four 1,000Ib (454kg) bombs

scimitar-f-mk-1.jpg

XD212_Scimitar_Gordon_Macadie_1280a.jpg

vickers_scimitar.gif

Sources

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Scimitar

Edited by slowblade
  • Upvote 26
medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

Not untill there is anything balancing on the other teams! especially axis and USSR!

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Not untill there is anything balancing on the other teams! especially axis and USSR!

If im not mistaken, there is the MiG-17 coming next patch and for axis, they both have sabres and germany have a mig-15 aswell :D

• Upvote 4
medal medal

If im not mistaken, there is the MiG-17 coming next patch and for axis, they both have sabres and germany have a mig-15 aswell :D

Most German Mig-15 pilots dont know what they are doing due to the lack of actual jet combat training! So not balanced at all.

The CL-13, while fast has horrible guns. Seriously it takes a full ammo load to kill a guy -.- M3 sparks.

Also japan? Japan just has 1 single sabre.

There is no confirmation that the Mig-17 is comming next patch.

This would simply not be balanced enough to add yet. Also you need a "i voted no" in the BR question in the poll

Most German Mig-15 pilots dont know what they are doing due to the lack of actual jet combat training! So not balanced at all.

The CL-13, while fast has horrible guns. Seriously it takes a full ammo load to kill a guy -.- M3 sparks.

Also japan? Japan just has 1 single sabre.

There is no confirmation that the Mig-17 is comming next patch.

This would simply not be balanced enough to add yet. Also you need a "i voted no" in the BR question in the poll

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/3txlba/condensed_answers_from_bvv_d_stream - MiG-17 comfirmed from BVV_d stream

I said 'Germany have a MiG-15 aswell' nothing about japan

I dont see the point of a 'I voted no', doesnt mean you can vote what BR it would be

Also, I dont want to get into a flame war

Edited by slowblade
medal medal

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/3txlba/condensed_answers_from_bvv_d_stream - MiG-17 comfirmed from BVV_d stream

I said 'Germany have a MiG-15 aswell' nothing about japan

I dont see the point of a 'I voted no', doesnt mean you can vote what BR it would be

Also, I dont want to get into a flame war

We're getting the Mig-17 to balance out the hawker hunter and F2 sabre. No reason adding another british top tier for the time being. Also I know you didn't mention japan, but I did. If any nation needs new planes, its them.

Also your arguement is pretty bad for not adding a "i voted no". If we've already decided we dont want this, then we dont want to decide what BR it should be at, if it gets added anyway

• Upvote 1

We're getting the Mig-17 to balance out the hawker hunter and F2 sabre. No reason adding another british top tier for the time being. Also I know you didn't mention japan, but I did. If any nation needs new planes, its them.

Also your arguement is pretty bad for not adding a "i voted no". If we've already decided we dont want this, then we dont want to decide what BR it should be at, if it gets added anyway

No one has voted 'No' yet, I will probably add it if someone votes no

medal medal

Most people voting yes either did not look at the specs or has no clue about T5 combat.

care to elighten me as to why i should change my vote- at tier IV Uk right now 

care to elighten me as to why i should change my vote- at tier IV Uk right now 

Hunter F.1 and Venom FB.4 are already more than enough for the current top tier meta which includes the F-2 Sabre and MiG-15bis.  Its prototype performances are not good enough for a top tier position, and its production variant is just too much at over Mach .95 which is 40mph faster than any current aircraft in the game (and ~100mph faster than the Venom).  Its thrust-to-weight is almost .6 at maximum takeoff meaning it'll accelerate better than any of them, so it holds at least two of the most important advantages of Jet Combat which is speed and acceleration.  Its performance also means that it'll probably be one of the fastest climbing jets in the game as well.

The FAA needs its top tier filled by conventional Sea Hawks and Sea Venoms before we add something game-breaking here.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hunter F.1 and Venom FB.4 are already more than enough for the current top tier meta which includes the F-2 Sabre and MiG-15bis.  Its prototype performances are not good enough for a top tier position, and its production variant is just too much at over Mach .95 which is 40mph faster than any current aircraft in the game (and ~100mph faster than the Venom).  Its thrust-to-weight is almost .6 at maximum takeoff meaning it'll accelerate better than any of them, so it holds at least two of the most important advantages of Jet Combat which is speed and acceleration.  Its performance also means that it'll probably be one of the fastest climbing jets in the game as well.

The FAA needs its top tier filled by conventional Sea Hawks and Sea Venoms before we add something game-breaking here.

and versus the MIg-17a? same thing? 

i changed my vote as if later planes are added than this could work, but like the folland gnat it would be to good for current tier 5 fighters 

Edited by Bringo_Gaboso

and versus the MIg-17a? same thing? 

As much as the MiG-17A would strain balance, it doesn't do so nearly as badly as the Supermarine Scimitar does.

• Upvote 1

As much as the MiG-17A would strain balance, it doesn't do so nearly as badly as the Supermarine Scimitar does.

thanks, changed my vote to maybe (edit above)  , bumped your suggestion too :)

MiG-17A has been confirmed to be in the works according to Reddit.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this thing one of the last aircraft ever made by Supermarine?

Edited by Z3r0_
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

If I'm wrong about something let me know because it is the first time I post something here, some were introduced the same year, before or after the Hawker Hunter. to Germany would be the Fiat G.91, japan so i was looking not many jets, recently in 1971, a third generation.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Scimitar :inserted 1957

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-11_Tiger#Armamento : inserted 1956

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-19#Armamento : inserted 1955

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-17#Armamento : inserted 1952

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Swift#Armamento : inserted1954

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_G.91 : inserted 1958

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_F3H_Demon : inserted 1956

All planes from the First World War until today leave the link https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Aviones_de_caza

the Venom is not cut out for dealing with the Mig 15bis and the Sabres on level terms

medal medal

I do love me the Scimitar. However, the Scimitar is in a similar situation to that of the Gnat and Javelin, its just a lil bit too fast and powerful. ;-;

medal medal medal medal medal

the Venom is not cut out for dealing with the Mig 15bis and the Sabres on level terms

It's at a slight disadvantage, but at ~640mph it's far more potent than the Panthers, very competitive with vanilla MiGs and A Sabre with greater ability to survive against advanced opponents like the F Sabre and Hunter due to its maneuverability (both turning and rolling).  The Venom has a large fuel load for a top tier jet which can actually be used to outlast any of the current opponents (won against a Canadair that way and won the game killing half of their team with 4 official kills [would have been five, but one MiG "crashed"]).

MiG-17As, F-86Ks and F-86Hs would break the current top tier balance.  If we were to make a new meta out of aircraft around these, the Scimitar would still break that top tier balance.

The Venom could turnfight with them in theory, much like a Zero can turnfight with late-mark Spitfires, but indeed the lower top speed can sometimes work against it.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Since the recent devlog of the MiG-17, I think this could be the British Naval contender! Vote yes if you think the same!

medal medal