15 cm sIG 33 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II (Sf)

Blaser93

Should the Sturmpanzer II Bison be added to War Thunder?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sturmpanzer II Bison be added to War Thunder?

• Yes in the main tree
    • Yes as a premium
    • Yes as an event vehicle
    • Yes as a limited time research vehicle
    • Maybe
    • No (please explain)
    • Don't care

The 15 cm sIG 33 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II (Sf), sometimes referred to as the sturmpanzer II Bison was a German self-propelled heavy infantry gun used during WWII. 12 were built.

The 15 cm sIG 33 (Sf) auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B built in time for the invasion of France in 1940 had proven to be too heavy for their chassis as well as enormously tall.

The same gun was mated to the Panzer II chassis in an attempt to drastically lower its height while using a stronger chassis. The prototype used a standard Panzer II Ausf. B chassis when it was built in February 1941, but this was too cramped for use. The chassis was lengthened by 60 cm (24 in) which required adding a sixth roadwheel, and widening by 32 cm (13 in) to better accommodate the gun while preserving its low silhouette. 15 mm (0.59 in) plates formed the front and sides of the open-topped fighting compartment, which was also open at the rear. Its sides were notably lower than the front which made the crew vulnerable to small arms fire and shell fragments. Large hatches were added to the rear deck to better cool the engine.

The 15 cm (5.9 in) sIG 33 gun (for which 30 rounds were carried), could traverse a total of 5 degrees left and right and used a Rblf36 sight.

12 were built at the end of 1941 and shipped to North Africa in early 1942 where they formed schwere Infanteriegeschutz-Kompanie 707 and 708. The former was assigned to Schutzen-Regiment 155 and the latter to Schutzen-Regiment 200, both part of the 90. leichte Afrika-Division. Both companies fought until the Axis surrender in Tunisia in May 1943.

Specifications

• Weight: 11.2 tonnes
  • Length: 5.41 m (17.7 ft)
  • Width: 2.6 m (8.5 ft)
  • Height: 1.9 m (6.2 ft)
  • Crew: Four
  • Armour: 5 - 30 mm
  • Engine: Bussing-NAG engine
  • Transmission: 6 forward gears and 1 reverse gear
  • Suspension: Leaf-spring
  • Speed: 40 km/h (25 mph)

Armament

• Main Armament: 1 x 15 cm sIG 33
  • Secondary Armament: 1 x 7.92 mm MG 34

Ammo types

I Gr 33

• Type: HE
  • Weight: 38 kg (84 lb)
  • Filler: 8.3 kg (18 lb) amatol

I Gr 39 HI/A

• Type: Hollow Charge
  • Weight: 25.5 kg (56 lb)
  • Filler: cyclonite/TNT

Stielgranate 42

• Type: Demolition
  • Weight: 90 kg (200 lb)
  • Filler: 27 kg (60 lb) amatol

post-595111-0-45005000-1460862200_thumb.post-595111-0-69301200-1460862202_thumb.post-595111-0-55779700-1460862203_thumb.post-595111-0-46196600-1460862204_thumb.post-595111-0-01257400-1460862205_thumb.post-595111-0-55180800-1460862205_thumb.post-595111-0-48537300-1460862206_thumb.

Edited by Blaser93
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :Salute:

I support. These could at best situation make for one new line:
Sturmpanzer 1 Bison
Sturmpanzer 2 Bison
Grille ausf. M
15 cm s.I.G 33/2 (Sf) auf Jagdpanzer 38(t)

StuG 3 /early variants with snob gun
StuIG 33B
Brummbär

Sturmtiger

Seems more like an artillery to me then a tank. Any sources?

It's heavy infantry gun. It's in it's name, so yes, it's artillery, but I think it's more of direct fire artillery than anything else.

It's very hard to determine which is artillery and which is assault gun. This is (wikipedia now) assault gun, but for example Bison 1 with same gun is artillery.

But one thing is sure. This is not a tank. I'd rather call it mid-range IFV

Wikipedia definition for infantry gun. I think this explains a lot about these vehicles:

Infantry support guns or battalion guns are artillery weapons designed and used to increase firepower of infantry units they are intrinsic to; offering immediate tactical response to the needs of the unit's commanding officer. The designs are typically with short low velocity barrels, and light construction carriages allowing them to be more easily manoeuvred on the battlefield. They are generally used for direct fire missions, as opposed to indirect fire like other artillery units

Edited by mr905
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I support. These could at best situation make for one new line:
Sturmpanzer 1 Bison
Sturmpanzer 2 Bison
pz. 38 version:
https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/150598-15-cm-sig-332-sf-auf-jagdpanzer-38t-hetzer/

It's heavy infantry gun. It's in it's name, so yes, it's artillery, but I think it's more of direct fire artillery than anything else.

It's very hard to determine which is artillery and which is assault gun. This is (wikipedia now) assault gun, but for example Bison 1 with same gun is artillery

But one thing is sure. This is not a tank.

Personally, I'm fine with direct line Artillery, such as the Sturmtiger, 15cm slG 33, Bison, STUH 42, and the like, but indirect line Artillery, such as the M40/43, etc.
  • Upvote 1
medal

I used to play it in wot. It wasnt a good vehicle, it was sluggish as hell. Anyway, this is an ARTILLERY vehicle and i dont think it can even fire forward. Not to mention, that if gaijin add this then will have to add other nations artillery tanks, with unseen derp guns, that very likely will ruin the game.
medal medal medal medal

I used to play it in wot. It wasnt a good vehicle, it was sluggish as hell. Anyway, this is an ARTILLERY vehicle and i dont think it can even fire forward. Not to mention, that if gaijin add this then will have to add other nations artillery tanks, with unseen derp guns, that very likely will ruin the game.

It seems form the images provided that this vehicle can indeed aim forward.

medal medal medal medal

Remeber guys, this howitzer is the same one as on the Sturmpanzer IV Brummbar, just with a different designation.

My only gripe with this thing is that Gaijin's wonky HE mechanics may end up rendering this thing useless (unless it had HEAT), and 240 m/s muzzle velocity will be INSANELY difficult to aim, even in AB. 

On the other hand... the extremely low velocity (and thus high arc) might turn out to be excellent in situations where you/your team needs a tactical trench mortar (such as an enemy tank hiding behind a hill, house, or wall that is just tall enough to hide behind)

Oh, and for those complaining about artillery, keep in mind, in War Thunder, ALL tanks have to manually compensate for gravity, something that the other game doesn't have. Artillery WILL NOT be op, and considering how any tank can potentially one shot another, and how the current meta is about fast paced brawling, the slow reload time of artillery is just gonna add another liability. 

Edited by Ihun

There are already direct-fire artillery vehicles in the game, I see it as a balancer to the Soviet derp.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

There are already direct-fire artillery vehicles in the game, I see it as a balancer to the Soviet derp.

It seems form the images provided that this vehicle can indeed aim forward.

Yeah i know. I had the Bison variant in mind when i was writing this. But anyway the only derp vehicle i wanna see in game is the FV4005. 
I think stuH 42 and the dicker max are enough for the german tree.

medal medal medal medal

Yeah i know. I had the Bison variant in mind when i was writing this. But anyway the only derp vehicle i wanna see in game is the FV4005. 
I think stuH 42 and the dicker max are enough for the german tree.

You don't even want vehicles like the Sturmtiger or the Brummbar?

medal medal medal medal

Considering the shot drop I'm used to handling when using Panzerwerfer and the Stuh I think I'd do well with this mahine. :P

medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Moved to Implemented suggestions as this vehicle has been added in the update 1.67 "Assault".