I-225  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this aircraft added to War Thunder?

• Yes
    • No (explain why down below)

History

During the early stages of the war on the Eastern Front, the German Ju-86P high altitude reconnaissance plane saw the Soviets lacking in a capable high altitude interceptor. Deeming it necessary to deal with these high altitude recon planes, an order went out for the creation of an interceptor that could fly high and fast enough to dispose of any intruders. The Mikoyan/Gurevich aircraft company, already successful with the high altitude MiG-3, took on the challenge to develop the fighter. The prototypes began development in 1942 as the I-220 series. 

The I-225 the last of this series of aircraft. The I-225 was an improvement on the earlier I-220; compared to its predecessor the 225 featured a pressurized cockpit, a cut down rear fuselage, and 4 synchronized 20mm cannons firing through the propeller. The 225 was powered by "a Mikulin AM-42B 12-cylinder liquid-cooled Vee engine equipped with a TK-300B turbo-supercharger on its starboard side and affording 2000hp for take-off and 1750hp at 7500m."

The all metal aircraft flew for the first time on the 21st of July, 1944. On August 2nd of the same year, the plane hit 707kmh at an altitude of 8500 meters. During the 15th flight, the aircraft's engine seized at an altitude of 15 meters and was deemed irreparable. 

The second prototype and its tests were delayed until March 14th, 1945. The second I-225 was fitted with the AM-42-FB, an improvement on the first prototype's engine. This second prototype reached a speed of 726 kmh, one of the fastest speeds reached by any Soviet aircraft.

By the time of the I-225 the Germans had ceased high altitude operations rendering the existence of the plane largely unnecessary. However, development on high altitude aircraft continued thanks to the possibility of the Soviets going to war with the Western powers, who possessed heavy bombers that could operate well outside the effective operational altitudes of Soviet piston engined planes. 

Development on the I-225 and its brethren was ended in March 1947, when nobody saw a need for a high altitude interceptor and native Soviet jet designs were coming into service. 

Sources

http://www.aviastar.org/air/russia/mig_i-225.php

http://www.airvectors.net/avmig3.html#m5

Specifications

WEIGHTS 

Take-off weight: 3900 kg/8598 lb     

Empty weight: 3010 kg/6636 lb  

DIMENSIONS

Wingspan: 11.00 m/36 ft 1 in     

Length: 9.60 m/32 ft 6 in     

Height: 3.70 m/12 ft 2 in     

Wing area: 20.38 m2   219.37 sq ft

PERFORMANCE   

Max. speed: 726 km/h/451 mph     

Ceiling: 12600m/41350 ft     

Range: 1300 km/808 miles 

Armament: 4 20mm nose mounted ShVAK cannons with 100 rounds per gun

mig_i-225.gif

MiG_I-225-3.jpg

MiG_I-225-2.jpg?ver=0

i225-1.jpg

Role in War Thunder

In real life, this plane was one of MiG's last piston engined designs. Ingame this is poorly reflected, with the last MiG design in the tree before tier 5 being the cannon armed MiG-3. From a historical standpoint, this plane makes sense to be placed between the I-185 and MiG-9, being constructed later than the 185 and continuing testing until the advent of the MiG-9. From a performance standpoint, this plane is essentially the Soviet equivalent of other high altitude aircraft such as the Ta-152H, J7W1, Ki-83, 190 D-13, Spitfire Mk 14, and P-47M. 

While the plane never got a chance to prove itself in real life against high altitude bombers, at late tier 4 it would give the Soviets an effective machine for dealing with the B-29, particularly when they escape to altitude. Most Soviet planes have a tough time intercepting the Superfortress and other heavies at altitude, this aircraft with its combination of speed and firepower would give Russian teams a better chance of catching these bombers. It fills the hole the Soviets have in the high altitude department. 

An idea on where it would fit in the tech tree can be seen here: 

Spoiler

v4uzA8f.png

Edited by blakeob
Fixed the spoiler.
  • Upvote 35
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :Salute:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes yes yes yes!!!!!

Gib nаo!!!

No, gib yesterday!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsiBz3hA04

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator

The mig line need filler

• Upvote 1

Genuinely think it would be a counter to the Doras and theres a huge gap of none-premium aircraft for Russia around 6.0, this would fill that gap nicely.  Besides that the Mig(&Polikarpov) line really needs some more aircraft. 

Edited by Ottobon
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

Suggestion passed to the developers for review.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Moved to Implemented suggestions as this vehicle was added to the game with update 1.81 "The Valkyries".

• Like 1