New Camouflages for P-51Ds

inaccurate

Good idea...?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should P-51s get more paint schemes in order for players to make their planes stand out?

• Yes
    • No

P-51 pilots in WW2 had a bit of a habit of brightly decorating their planes in unique custom paint schemes, and I've noticed a lot of players try to replicate this feature in-game by trying to stretch and place Decals to simulate certain paint schemes, such as a brightly painted tail, or a different coloured nose. 

What I'm suggesting is that a series of 'generic' camouflages, based off of real P-51 paint schemes but without any names or victory marks, be added for P-51Ds to equip which allow players to add a bit more of a unique variety to their planes. 

Of course, these camouflages would be unlockable for all players after a certain amount of kills. 

For instance: 

Coloured Noses and Nose Cones:

1.683514P51DFLYING2.jpg 2740.jpg

Or Checkered Nose Patterns:

north-american-p-51-mustang-photo.jpg

Painted Tails:

Unknown.jpg

31fg-p51d.jpg

...you get the idea. There are hundreds of images out there of uniquely painted P-51s! 

I Personally Think that adding a few variations on the standard P-51 Camouflage would go a surprisingly long way in player immersion, not only for the P-51 pilots and their teams, but for the enemies that face them. 

Of course this idea could be expanded and applied to other planes, of all nations, but I think the P-51 serves as the best example. 

Edited by ChaosII
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

On 3 September 2016 at 4:59 AM, Bodobaggins said:

They can just add custom skins to the game as new camo, making it visible to other players. It's simple, and already a thing.

Yeah, exactly! 

We already have a couple with the P-51D 30, but none for the P-51D 5 or P-51D 20.

I actually found a really good 'unnamed' p51 custom skin pack before, check it out:

http://live.warthunder.com/post/369546/en/

If we had a few more historically based skins like that for the P51s I think it would make the P-51 really fun to fly, especially in squads...

medal medal medal

+1 from me. I think this is a great suggestion. Given the amount of decals we currently have, then a choice of generic "templates" such as the blue nosed bas***ds of Bodney, or the 353rd etc. Then simply add the decals of your choice. It would add more depth to the game and make things look great. 

Though youd have to do the same for the P47's. 

Also, whilst on the subject, some decals specifically for bombers would be nice, ones that have a picture AND bombs Tally's together, that would be good. But that's for another thread, I won't hijack yours. 

medal

You don't even need to ask! Obviously YEEES!! +1111111:salute:

medal medal medal medal medal

On 5 September 2016 at 5:14 PM, *Fozzie_28 said:

Also, whilst on the subject, some decals specifically for bombers would be nice, ones that have a picture AND bombs Tally's together, that would be good. But that's for another thread, I won't hijack yours. 

By all means, if it adds immersion then hijack away! 

medal medal medal

Here are some more examples of some distinguishing paint schemes some of the P-51 pilots displayed:

352nd Fighter Group, recognisable by their striking blue noses. 

P-51D Blue nose Bastards Poster.jpg

336th Fighter Squadron sporting red noses and blue tail fins. 

thumb-3_2_b2.jpgthumb-3_186.jpgthumb-vf-hpro.jpg

375th Fighter Squadron, Yellow noses and decorative black paint. 

200-j-1280.jpg

325th Fighter Group, black and yellow checkered tails and red nose cones. 

#246_dark 1 master web.jpg

medal medal medal

• 5 years later...