Would you like to see the BA-10M?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the BA-10M?

• Yes
    • No

BA-10M

BA-10.png

The most prolific pre-war armored car
The BA-10 was the result of continued development of the BA series. A new chassis was used, and instead of out-rightly adding more armor, the designers actually reduced it, whilst at the same time sloping it, thus giving better effective protection. As a fighting vehicle, it was sophisticated and reliable compared even to international standards, not just other Soviet designs. Despite this, there were developments that would lead to it being replaced with the BA-11. However, this new vehicle was cancelled with the outbreak of war. The BA-10 was in use until 1945.

Design process
From the late 1930s, Soviet armored fighting vehicle designers decided to use sloped armor in new designs, and redesigned some already made vehicles to take advantage of it. The BA-10 armored car was built on the GAZ-AAA six-wheeled truck chassis, which was a near copy of the Ford Timken design, albeit with an extra axle. It had been modified and reinforced to cope with the extra weight that an armored car would require. The use of a front-engined chassis placed the driver behind the engine, and there was a co-driver’s machine-gun position beside him, which would be useful for frontal engagements. Power was provided by a 50 hp GAZ-M1 4-cylinder water-cooled petrol engine that gave a maximum speed of 55 km/h (34 mph), and a range of 300 km (185 mi), which was highly useful for the heavy scout role. Being a heavy armored car, the vehicle was not always best suited for off-road, but a pair of tracks for the rear wheels was given for crossing bad terrain. The BA-10 used a slightly thinner, better-sloped armor layout than that of the BA-6. This improved protection whilst saving weight, as the sloping increased the effective armor.

The majority of BA-10s seen in photos are actually BA-10Ms. The original BA-10 (aka BA-6M) only saw very limited production (if any, aside from the prototype) at the Izhora Factory in April, 1937. However, it seems as though when being serially produced, a number of changes were made. There were plenty of internal wiring changes, and other unseen differences, such as the engine spark plugs being placed in a shielded box, fuel tanks were placed under the roof, ammunition capacity was reduced, and a new whip antenna was added.

In action

They saw action in all Soviet military operations 1939-1940, such as the invasion of Latvia. The BA-10 was also deployed on the Eastern Front during WWII, but was rarely seen after the winter of 1941-1942. It was usually used as a heavy scout, but it began to lose its role by 1942 to Lend Lease vehicles, as well as the T-60 and T-70. These vehicles had lost their original role to the T-34 (which was now produced in vast numbers), and could therefore be relegated to minor roles such as heavy scout. Some BA-10s were, however, seen in Leningrad as late as 1943.

Despite its weight, the BA-10 was a reasonably reliable vehicle and, despite the limitations of its 6×4 drive, served the Red Army well until the German invasion of 1941. After 1941, few Soviet armored cars survived the early battles with the German Wehrmacht.  Those that remained in Soviet hands were withdrawn from front line service after 1942, although many would be stripped down to be used as armored personnel carriers.

Images

Spoiler

ba-10-winter.jpg

BA-10-iran-british-column.jpg

Captured-BA-10.jpg

BA-10M specification
Dimensions (L-w-h)                      4.65 x 2 x 2.2 m (15.3 x 6.56 x 7.2ft)
Total weight, battle ready             5.1 tonnes
Crew                                            4
Propulsion                                   GAZ-M1 4-cylinder water-cooled petrol engine, 50hp
Speed (road)                               55 km/h (34 mph)
Range                                         300 km (185 miles)
Armament                                  45 mm (1.77 in) 20-K
                                                   2 x DT 7.62 mm (0.3 in) machine-guns
Armor                                         6-15 mm (0.23 – 0.59 in)
Total production                         3,311

Sources

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_BA-10.php

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/battles/khalkhin_gol/Khalkhin_cut1.pdf

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/ba-10a-armored-car.html

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/ARMOURED_CARS2.htm

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/soviet-union/vehicle/armored-cars/ba-10-armored-car.asp

Edited by *jermster18
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 19
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I remember this from R.U.S.E where I tried only building this to fight Germany... Didn't work out so well, but im all for this being added to War Thunder and seeing if that works out better :D

4 minutes ago, igeticsu said:

I remember this from R.U.S.E where I tried only building this to fight Germany... Didn't work out so well, but im all for this being added to War Thunder and seeing if that works out better :D

Surprisingly there haven't been no suggestions of Soviet Armored Cars. You could almost make another line in the soviet tree to add them 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, *jermster18 said:

Surprisingly there haven't been no suggestions of Soviet Armored Cars. You could almost make another line in the soviet tree to add them 

yea and most of them come with a 45mm cannon, would result in a pretty packed tier 1 and 2  :DD

anyway +1 for me

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 year later...

If we only get one Soviet armored car, it should be this one.  This is the most iconic model of the lot. 

+1, of course.  I'm surprised this wasn't added a long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

Yes more tracktors for russia.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 04/05/2020 at 01:24, Cheerio_Fujisaki said:

+1

I think BA-10M is the BA-10 variant we currently have in-game

correct me if I'm wrong

medal medal

2 hours ago, GoddePro said:

I think BA-10M is the BA-10 variant we currently have in-game

correct me if I'm wrong

What we have in-game is the BA-11, the planned replacement for BA-10 that was cancelled after few built examples due to war breaking out.

Main difference between these is the truck chassis: ZIS in BA-11 and GAZ(Ford) in earlier BA-3/6/10

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.