High Survivability Test Vehicles (Lightweight) - Multi purpose light tanks

Ta_Kanata18

HSTV(L)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see HSTV(L) in game?

• Yes
    • No

hstvl.jpg.e4aa8ac934eee6d43d63942c867146

DEVELOPEMENT

Spoiler

The High Survivability Test Vehicle – Lightweight (HSTV-L) was developed under the direction of the TACOM project manager for Armored Combat Vehicle Technology at the US Army Tank-Automotive Command, Warren, Michigan. The work began in late 1970s.

Following the field testing, the HSTV(L) is being used for experiments in fire-control and stabilisation. Stabilisation processing has been converted from analogue to digital. Various stabilization control algorithms are being tried along with different combinations of transducers to determine effects on gun pointing performance and the possibility of eliminating some of the expensive sensors such as gyros. The TACOM Motion Base Simulator, a huge shaker table, is being used to provide terrain input. These tests began in September 1982 and are to continue for a year or more.

YqT2g7n.jpg

DESCRIPTION

Spoiler

The high survivability of this vehicle is derived from the low silhouette, high horsepower per ton, duplication of sights, improved night vision capabilities, and the lack of specific driver and gunner controls. Any crewman can shoot and both hull crewmen can drive.

Although a test vehicle, the HSTV(L) is not a variable parameter test bed but an exercise in system realism for the three-man crew, hunter/killer fire control concept and low silhouette.
Armament for the HSTV(L) consists of a 7.62 mm M240 machine gun for both commander and coaxial position and a 75 mm smooth bore cannon. The cannon employs a revolving breech and telescoping ammunition which enables the automatic loader to load one round per 11/2 seconds. The in battery-firing recoil mechanism has a fixed piston that allows the greater mass of recoil cylinder and breech mechanism parts to recoil during firing. The 75 mm gun and automatic ammunition feeder are designed and made by ARES Inc, Port Clinton, Ohio.

Texas Instruments supplies the fire-control system which uses the hunter/killer concept. The commander uses a stabilised hunter sight that revolves independently of the turret. Once a target is selected on this sight, the turret and killer sight can be aligned with it. The gunner can then destroy the selected target while the commander returns to search with his hunter sight. Both direct vision and FLIR (Forward Looking Infra-red) optics are available for either sight. The commander can use either a binocular direct view optic eyepiece for improved clarity and reduced power drain, or a video screen. In the hull, a video screen visible to both gunner and driver receives transmissions from hunter and killer sights.

The electronic fire control processor uses inputs from the sights, crosswind sensor, muzzle reference, vertical reference system, and an eye-safe CO2 laser rangefinder to compute proper gun pointing. The laser rangefinder is supplied by Raytheon. Automatic tracking and rate aid tracking can also be accomplished by the fire control processor.

Both elevation and azimuth stabilisation is provided for the 75 mm gun with a slaved killer sight and an indepen¬dently stabilised hunter sight. Fire-on-the-move capabilities are improved by decoupling the yaw motion of the hull from the turret. Cadillac Gage supplies the gun control and stabilisation system for HSTV(L).

Propulsion for the HSTV(L) comes from a gas turbine engine mounted beside the transmission with a cross-drive gearbox connecting the two. Avco Lycoming supplies the nonregenerative 650 horsepower modified helicopter gas turbine. The transmission is an X-300 Detroit Diesel Allison automatic four-speed with lock-up torque converter. Auxili¬ary power is provided by two 250 amp generators and a 60 gpm hydraulic pump. The hydraulic pump supplies power for the engine compartment mounted oil cooler fan and through a hydraulic slip ring; it also supplies power to the gun control system and automatic ammunition loader in the turret.

Teledyne supply the fixed height hydro-pneumatic sus¬pension system. A 355.6 mm jounce and 127 mm rebound travel is possible due to the small 558.8 mm diameter road wheels. The track is an improved version of the type found on the M551 Sheridan.

The man-machine interface for the HSTV(L) is of prime importance. The use of the hunter/killer concept allows both the gunner and the commander to contribute as much information as possible towards the neutralisation of the enemy. The use of pressure sensitive isometric rate controller thumb switches allows for more precise gun control while firing on the move. The driver and gunner seating positions are semi-reclined for maximum comfort in a minimum space. The tv screens considerably improve fire-on-the-move sighting clarity.

HSTV.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

Spoiler

CREW:  3
TEST VEHICLE WEIGHT (with instrumentation and partial applique armour) 20 450 kg
POWER-TO-WEIGHT RATIO:  31.78 hp/tonne
GROUND PRESSURE:  0.7 kg/cm2
LENGTH GUN FORWARDS:  8.528 m
LENGTH HULL:  5 918 m
WIDTH:  2.794 m
HEIGHT:  (overall) 2.414 m (to turret top) 1.994 m (to hull top) 1.422 m
GROUND CLEARANCE:  0.508 m
TRACK:  2.349 m
TRACK WIDTH:  445 mm
MAX SPEED (road):  83.68 km/h
ACCELERATION (0 to 48 km/h):  11.8 sec
FUEL CAPACITY:  409 litres
MAX CRUISING RANGE:  160 km
FORDING:  1.0 m
GRADIENT:  60%
SIDE SLOPE:  30%
TURNING RADIUS:  pivot to infinity
ENGINE: Avco-Lycoming 650 turboshaft developing 650hp
TRANSMISSION:  GMC Detroit Diesel Allison Division cross drive model X-300-4A with 4 forward and 1 reverse gears, single-stage, multiple-phase torque converter with automatic lock up
STEERING:  hydrostatically controlled differential, pivot steer in neutral 
BRAKES:  multiple wet plate, service and parking, hydrostatically applied with mechanical backup
SUSPENSION:  hydro-pneumatic
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:  24 V
BATTERIES:  6 × 12 V, 300 Ah

ARMAMENT: (main) 1 × 75 mm ARES XM274 heavy autocannon (coaxial) 1 × 7.62 mm MG (anti-aircraft) 1 × 7.62 mm MG
AMMUNITION:  (main) 26 (MG) 3200
FIRE-CONTROL SYSTEM:  powered/manual

By commander:  yes
By gunner:  yes
Gun elevation/ depression:  +45°/-17° front, +45°/-6° rear, +45°/-30° side
Max rate (power):  elevation/depression 1.0 rad/sec
Max rate (manual):  elevation/depression 10 mils/crank
Min rate (power):  elevation/depression 0.2 mils/sec
Max traverse rate (power):  1.0 rad/sec
Max traverse rate (manual):  10 mils/crank
Min traverse rate (power):  0.2 mils/sec
Periscopes:  driver 3 (×1), gunner 3 (×1), commander 8 (×1)
Primary engagement sight (turret):  stabilised head, FLIR CO2 laser rangefinder, tv, 2 FOV linked to all three crew members
Hunter sight (turret):  stabilised head, rotates independently of turret; FLIR; direct view optics, tv, 2 FOV linked to all three crew members
Gunner’s sight (hull):  slaved to weapon, direct view optics, 2 FOV gunner’s use only

Status: Undergoing stabilisation/fire control testing on the Motion Base Simulator, Tank Automotive Command, Warren, Michigan. Cancelled.

Manufacturer: AAI Corporation, Box 6767, Baltimore. Maryland 21204, USA.

Hình ảnh có liên quan

GUN

Spoiler

75mm ARES : (APDSFS and HE)

Cartridge size : 5.2-inch x 19.0-inch (Diameter x Length)
Cartridge volume : 403.5 cubic inch
Cartridge mass : 12,655 grams
Propellant mass : 3,488 grams
Projectile launch mass : 3,052 grams (penetrator + sabot)
Muzzle velocity : 4,800 fps

Rate of fire : 11 round/min (HSTV-L only)

Estimated penetration :

@ 1,000 meters : 259mm @ 0o / 152mm @ 60o
@ 1,500 meters : 249mm @ 0o / 146mm @ 60o
@ 2,000 meters : 239mm @ 0o / 139mm @ 60o
@ 2,500 meters : 228mm @ 0o / 133mm @ 60o

Spoiler

xg51F1n.png

hstv05.jpg~original

HSTV_HIMAG.png

Information from http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1702.msg31857#msg31857

Source:

"Modern TANKS" by George Forty

Jane’s Light Tanks and Armoured Cars 1984 by Christopher F. Foss

The TARDEC Story: Sixty-five Years of Innovation 1946-2010 by Jean M. Dasch (Ph.D.),David J. Gorish (Ph.D.)

http://tanknutdave.com/the-american-hstvl-tank/

Gun and ammo information:

http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/tankita2.html 

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/50689-75mm-ARES-Telescoped-APFSDS-T

Moved RDF Blocks to RDF/LT suggestion here:

Spoiler

My god did you see the gun depression stats on the side of the tank?

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Ta_Kanata18
Fixed
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 25
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

do we have anything about it's armor? i saw the tank in some flickr album. it seem to be a unsuccessful test of the Coldwar. do we have actuall data about his penetration from a reliable source other than the post from random people on a forum or a magazine who give a computer to king-kong? are we even sure that tank actually could fight? the magazine mention they was planing to put a 75mm on a LAV-25 8x8. it happen that i learn to drive the Lav-25 cayote in 2010 and during my training, i saw the test about the up-gunned Lav-25 with a 75 and when it was shooting on the side, the tank was rolling over. do you have any idea if the weight of that tank can hold the blast of the 75mm recoil while holding it in his arm on the side? i don't think that tank can fit in Warthunder. too much lack of info, the tank was a prototype of the 80s and seem to be a dead end. if it's in the game it should be a tier5 prenium and there is no prenium tier5.

her some picture of a one of the old HSTV (L). if there was any other built, it doesn't seem to had any better faith tank rotting in a compound full of wreak

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmwebbjr/sets/72157633737105627/

Edited by CaID
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, CaID said:

do we have anything about it's armor? i saw the tank in some flickr album. it seem to be a unsuccessful test of the Coldwar. do we have actuall data about his penetration from a reliable source other than the post from random people on a forum or a magazine who give a computer to king-kong? are we even sure that tank actually could fight? the magazine mention they was planing to put a 75mm on a LAV-25 8x8. it happen that i learn to drive the Lav-25 cayote in 2010 and during my training, i saw the test about the up-gunned Lav-25 with a 75 and when it was shooting on the side, the tank was rolling over. do you have any idea if the weight of that tank can hold the blast of the 75mm recoil while holding it in his arm on the side? i don't think that tank can fit in Warthunder. too much lack of info, the tank was a prototype of the 80s and seem to be a dead end. if it's in the game it should be a tier5 prenium and there is no prenium tier5.

her some picture of a one of the old HSTV (L). if there was any other built, it doesn't seem to had any better faith tank rotting in a compound full of wreak

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmwebbjr/sets/72157633737105627/

It was abandoned because of the cost and difficulty to maintain, the army need a lighter tank for air drop, latter on some feature of HSTV used on RDF/LT.

As mention these vehicles are intended for testing experimental fire-control and stabilisation.

About the armor they used special aluminum, the thickest part is 75mm.

P/s: lav 25 is only 12.6 ton while HSVT is over 20 ton with the gun being close to the ground. 

Edited by Ta_Kanata18
  • Upvote 2

Hmm, it seems you need to manually control it, how would you do that in game?

medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, Maki3006 said:

Hmm, it seems you need to manually control it, how would you do that in game?

I image it will be like hydraulic suspension control on Type 74 since Block 2 has Sheridan hull.

Just now, Ta_Kanata18 said:

I image it will be like hydraulic suspension control on Type 74 since Block 2 has Sheridan hull.

Fair enough.

medal medal medal medal medal

17 hours ago, Ta_Kanata18 said:

It was abandoned because of the cost and difficulty to maintain, the army need a lighter tank for air drop, latter on some feature of HSTV used on RDF/LT.

As mention these vehicles are intended for testing experimental fire-control and stabilisation.

About the armor they used special aluminum, the thickest part is 75mm.

P/s: lav 25 is only 12.6 ton while HSVT is over 20 ton with the gun being close to the ground. 

the LAV 25 Cayote as use in canada is 14.5 ton and 16ton when combat ready with a 25mm gun (this is very close to 20 short ton). and if the HSVT is closer on the block 1/3, it's not always the case i block 2. with those arms holding the gun well high in on the side, i feel like it's likely to roll over with the recoil even with 20 ton. do you have any prove it didn't also had some of those trouble while firing? i know it's classified from the USA army but i hear many think like that they mainly didn't wanted the other to hear about just to not lose face. especially in front of the russian. those are also thing they want to found out in test. this why we do test.

also without real and accurate and reliable data of the armor, it's hard to tell what is the equivalent value in steel armor.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

46 minutes ago, CaID said:

the LAV 25 Cayote as use in canada is 14.5 ton and 16ton when combat ready with a 25mm gun (this is very close to 20 short ton). and if the HSVT is closer on the block 1/3, it's not always the case i block 2. with those arms holding the gun well high in on the side, i feel like it's likely to roll over with the recoil even with 20 ton. do you have any prove it didn't also had some of those trouble while firing? i know it's classified from the USA army but i hear many think like that they mainly didn't wanted the other to hear about just to not lose face. especially in front of the russian. those are also thing they want to found out in test. this why we do test.

also without real and accurate and reliable data of the armor, it's hard to tell what is the equivalent value in steel armor.

As mention on the article there is electronic systems that help reduce the recoil also HSTV use track so they are more stable than wheel. 

There is a lot of tanks that don't have realiable mainstream information about armor either (M60/M56/Type 87...). Im sure that Gaijin can get their hands on some secret documents. 

The materials is just as same as M551 in game. 

Edited by Ta_Kanata18

OMG this thing would be so OP if those diagrams of that hull down and over hill peekaboos are to be believed, even with a 75mm. i want this crazy thing.

EDIT: clarification- i support both block 1 and block 2 for inclusion. not block 3 though, those stingers make it a little too OP.

block 1 requires a gunner but if the gunner dies it can still flee and recrew later. and it can't pop up over a hill.

block 2s gun/turret is fully automated and can be fired by both crewmen but if one dies it's a sitting duck.

both have severe limitations that make up for their amazing offensive capabilities.

Edited by admiral_aruon
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, RefrigerRaider said:

being able to shoot over walls is kinda unbalance....

Dont need to worry there are up to 3 options for you ;)

1 hour ago, admiral_aruon said:

OMG this thing would be so OP if those diagrams of that hull down and over hill peekaboos are to be believed, even with a 75mm. i want this crazy thing.

EDIT: clarification- i support both block 1 and block 2 for inclusion. not block 3 though, those stingers make it a little too OP.

block 1 requires a gunner but if the gunner dies it can still flee and recrew later. and it can't pop up over a hill.

block 2s gun/turret is fully automated and can be fired by both crewmen but if one dies it's a sitting duck.

both have severe limitations that make up for their amazing offensive capabilities.

Not exactly

Any crewman can shoot and both hull crewmen can drive

So Block 1 has 3 gunners and 2 drivers

Edited by Ta_Kanata18

4 minutes ago, admiral_aruon said:

ah. thanks for clarifying. so is the 3rd guy just a dedicated gunner?

hstv05.jpg

Every crews member can be in any role it seem

Idk about the one with SAM but the others get a yes from me.

medal medal medal medal