Tiger I H2 (KwK42 75mm main gun)

Would you like to have a Tiger with Panther Cannon in the game?  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have a Tiger with Panther Cannon in the game?

Hello forum members, this is my first suggestion, english is not my first language, and I am taking care to be as clear as possible.

During the development of Tiger, many guns and turrets were designed for him, and one of them would be with the same weapon of the Panther.
The first time I saw a photo of him I found it strange, but then I looked better and found it interesting.
I hope you like it

german-tiger-h2-type-tank-model-toys-1-3

This muzzle brake may sound strange, but it's the same as PzIV F2

543323.jpg

Here we can see the original mock ups that were made for him.

fb

fb

Oberst Fichtner, Head Wa Pruef 6, in a communication dated September 27, 1942:
At a meeting July 25, 1941 in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, I informed Professor Dr. Porsche, that I do not like Krupp tower and fighting for the best solution in the future, which will be equally suitable for both Pz projects. Kpfw. Typ Porsche Tour and Henschel. As already reported to the Minister Dr. Todt, Wa Pruef 6 Rheinmetall contract issued in mid-July 1941 for the design of the tower with a weapon that can penetrate 140 mm armor at a distance of 1000 meters thick without specifying what should be the caliber of 8.8 cm. In this decision, we were guided by Hitler's directive, dated May 26, 1941 which stated: "If the required penetration can be achieved by a smaller caliber than 8.8 cm (ie, 6 or 7.5), it is necessary to give preference to, because it is expressed in an enlarged quantity of ammunition and a lower weight of the tower. the selected gauge must be suitable for the destruction of tanks, ground targets, and bunkers. "Rheinmetall is trying to achieve penetrative ability with a conventional cylindrical tube weapons, based on the same principles as the Pak 44. it would be wrong to overlook Rheinmetall this project, because the combination of all the necessary parameters: firepower, loading ammunition, balanced weight of the tower, a better view of making more profitable the tower, the tower than Krupp.

The first tests of 7.5 cm Kw. K. Versuchsrohr long L / 60 caliber were held at the shooting range Rheinmetall-Borsig, and showed a penetration of 100 mm of armor at an angle of 30 ° at a distance of 1400 meters. Therefore, to ensure performance specifications gun was chosen length L / 70 caliber. By February 11, 1942, Rheinmetall has developed VK 45.01 (Rh) towers with 7.5 cm Kw. K.42, for mounting on the chassis VK 45.01 (H).
VK 45.01 (H) with Rheinmetall-Turm mit 7.5 cm Kw. K. L / 70 was officially designated Pz. Kpfw. VI H Ausf. H2 decision Wa Pruef 6 from 1 July 1942.

July 1, 1942, Wa J Rue (WuG 6) presented long-term projects by Hitler Panzerprogramm II, about what would make only the first 100 machines VK 45.01 (H) with 8.8 cm Kw. K. L / 56. And starting with the 101st VK 45.01 (H) in February 1943 the production had to be changed to Rheinmetall turret with 7.5 cm Kw. K. L / 70.
The subject of Tiger armament was considered at zasidanii Panzerkommission, July 14, 1942: at this point penetration of 100 mm armor was reached 8.8 cm Kw. K. L / 56 therefore transitions to a 7.5 cm Kw. K. L / 70 is no longer necessary. Go to 8.8 cm Kw. K. L / 71 must occur at the end of the year. This decision has led to all the VK 45.01 (H) towers were completed with the established 8.8 cm Kw. K. L / 56.

It seems as though this vehicle was slated for production but wasn't produced due to advances in the 8.8cm Kwk 36 armament. I can back up some of this information with my own knowledge that I remember reading and hearing that early shells for the 8.8cm didn't meet the penetration standards at that time.

The armament and other specifications are already old known to all. So I will not dwell on it.

katyus.jpg

source: http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer-VI_Tiger.php

http://www.aviarmor.net/tww2/tanks/germany/pz6_tiger.htm

Schiffer - Germany`S Tiger Tanks - Dw To Tiger I

And as you can see, it seems to be something interesting.
I hope that you like the suggestion  ;)

Edited by SAUBER_KH7
Prefix
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 51

i love it. it would make a great 5.3

• Upvote 12
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, CaID said:

i love it. it would make a great 5.3

You mean 6.0? The Kwk42 is a better gun than the Kwk36. There is no way this thing should be 5.3.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 11

Seems like a pretty sound suggestion, particularly considering the KwK 42's superior penetration capabilities compared to the KwK 36.  I guess it'd be a question of whether the player prefers a gun that's more likely to penetrate or more likely to one-shot something after penetrating.

Edited by Z3r0_
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

13 minutes ago, Z3r0_ said:

Seems like a pretty sound suggestion, particularly considering the KwK 42's superior penetration capabilities compared to the KwK 36.  I guess it'd be a question of whether the player prefers a gun that's more likely to penetrate or more likely to on-shot something after penetrating.

Either way, no doubt this vehicle will be a pack, premium, tournament/TL, or event vehicle :wink:

Edited by Results45
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Either way, there's no doubt this vehicle would be a pack, premium, tournament/TL, or event vehicle :happy:

That it would.  Preferably premium though - Germany's had enough ground vehicles locked behind tournaments and events as it is (possibly more than anybody else other than the Soviets).

Edited by Z3r0_
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

i'd go for it. would make a good premium or event/gift. probably 5.7 or 6 BR.

EDIT: awkward syntax of translation aside, it seems that in the prototype phase of Henschel's VK 45.01, what would become the 88mm KwK 36 wasn't quite there yet and wasn't on track to break 100mm penetration let alone 140mm at 1 kilometer. once the prototype had achieved a penetrative baseline, the panther gun was ditched.

if Rheinmetall had taken longer it seems likely the first Tiger I models would had the 7.5 cm as a stopgap until a suitable 8.8cm gun would be developed.

Edited by admiral_aruon
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

14 hours ago, *MiseryIndex556 said:

The Kwk42 is a better gun than the Kwk36

No it is not. The KwK 36 is bigger, has more energy, has more explosive filler in its AP, is more destructive, has a better HE round, and even surpasses the KwK 42 at range:

image.png

Edited by TT33a
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, TT33a said:

No it is not. The KwK 36 is bigger, has more energy, has more explosive filler in its AP, is more destructive, has a better HE round, and even surpasses the KwK 42 at range:

image.png

3000m. Something you will almost never see in this game.

• Upvote 8
medal medal

29 minutes ago, KorEEnium said:

3000m. Something you will almost never see in this game.

Nor even IRL for the most part. 3 km engagements in WWII were extremely rare outside of artillery regiments.

medal

9 hours ago, Ta_Kanata18 said:

Mock up only?

Indeed it is.

2 hours ago, TT33a said:

image.png

Do you even fire a target at 3 km?

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, Sirchby said:

Do you even fire a target at 3 km?

When you have nothing else to do and ammo to spare it's not a dumb idea.

• Upvote 1
medal

11 hours ago, TT33a said:

image.png

So... what you are saying, is for 3,000 meters, the Kwk42 is the better gun.