type 95 Hiro-sha  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Type 95 hiro-sha be added to the game

• Yes
    • Yes, as prenium/gift/events vehicles
    • No

I would like to propose the coversion of the Type 95 into a SPAG with a 120mm gun.

The Hi-ro sha.

Hi-Ro_Sha_self-propelled_gun.jpg

In 1934, the japanese army built 4 Type 95 heavy tank for prototype test, they decide the heavy tank wasn't valuable for the japanese army, but there wasn't the end of the type 95 heavy tank. In 1935 the Japanese converted the Type 95 into SPG with the

CcRGL__VIAAUTpD.jpg

The Hiro sha was an open top SPG with the gun in the front of the tank with a thin shield for light gun and shrapnel. the main and front auxiliary turret was removed from the original type 95, only the rear turret remain, the gained space was for the new gun. his crew and ammunition. according to the Japanese information release of the Ji-Ro experimental tanks, the gun was a Japanese imported Schneider Carnet 1898 that was originally used as coastal defense but withdraw from active services in the 30s. the experimental tanks was found in Takeyama Airport in the entrance of the Tokyo Bay.

0O0nRn0.jpg

Specifications

Weight unknow
Length 6.47 m (21.25 ft.)
Width 2.69 m (8.8 ft.)
Height unknow
Crew 2+ gun's crew

Armor 12–35 mm
Main
armament
1x 120mm Schneider Carnet 1898
Secondary
armament
7.7 mm type 97 (1950 bullet)
Engine Inline 6-cylinder engine[2]
290 hp
Suspension Leaf-Spring
Operational
range
110 km
Speed 22 km/h (13.7 mph)

Caliber 12cm
Carriage  
Elevation -12 to +15 degrees
Traverse ?
Rate of fire ?
Muzzle velocity 530 m/s (1,772 ft/s)
Maximum firing range 11,900 m (13,014 yd)

source

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/斯加式十二糎速射加農砲

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/japan/type-91-type-95-heavy.php

http://ww2data.blogspot.ca/2015/07/imperial-japanese-army-ammunition-15cm.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_95_Heavy_Tank

Special tanks to @Mai_Waffentrager for the info on the gun.

Edited by CaID
  • Upvote 31
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Awesome maybe these could be added after the Na To. but what kind of pen are we talking about here?

medal medal medal medal

20 minutes ago, BLUEBLACK_EQUAI said:

Awesome maybe these could be added after the Na To. but what kind of pen are we talking about here?

the shell size and velocity is close to the KV-2 that mean the penetration should also not be much different. however, the Hiro-sha have the APHE which should have a better pen. i couldn't find the accurate penetration since those shell are meant to be artillery shell to break down building and bunker. but i found the specification for each shell and according to it, we can calculated the average penetration. and also the Hiro-sha should have a better reload that the KV-2, even with a reduced crew for the Type 96, it can have a reload of about 30sec stock. this could easily make it to tier 3-4

• Upvote 2

jesus christ the filling on those both APHE shells is insane. but 5.2 kilos of picric acid? that's one shell i'd grind like crazy for.

picric acid is considered as 1.2x the effectiveness of TNT so about 6.24kg TNT-equivalent, or just a little less than the best shell on the KV-2 with it's 6.51kg TNT-equivalent.

i support this! japan is severely lacking at midtier and as unwieldy and fragile as this is, it's the poor man's KV-2 in every way save for the nuclear death cannon. and that smoke shell probably produces a cloud the size of Africa.

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Umm, that cannon is not a 150mm. Its an old French Schneider 120mm cannon that the Japanese had lying around. Mai Waffentrager has talked about it a few times.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

18 minutes ago, Mercedes4321 said:

Umm, that cannon is not a 150mm. Its an old French Schneider 120mm cannon that the Japanese had lying around. Mai Waffentrager has talked about it a few times.

are you sure of this? the only Schneider 120mm that correspond to this cannon on the picture was the model 1897 which was built in about 40 gun and sold to Serbian and Bulgaria. However it do look like the Japanese type 96 who was produced from 1937. if there did wanted to try a new gun on a tank to make a tank destroyer. they would probably take a old tank that was rusting around waiting to be dismantled. the Type 95 was built in 1935. it's highly possible that at least 1 of them was still laying around in the Japanese compound of some factory in 1937

or maybe you know another Schneider 120mm that look like the one on the type 95 Hiro-sha?

i will also use that picture. i was looking for something to show the rear turret

Edited by CaID
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CaID said:

are you sure of this? the only Schneider 120mm that correspond to this cannon on the picture was the model 1897 which was built in about 40 gun and sold to Serbian and Bulgaria. However it do look like the Japanese type 96 who was produced from 1937. if there did wanted to try a new gun on a tank to make a tank destroyer. they would probably take a old tank that was rusting around waiting to be dismantled. the Type 95 was built in 1935. it's highly possible that at least 1 of them was still laying around in the Japanese compound of some factory in 1937

or maybe you know another Schneider 120mm that look like the one on the type 95 Hiro-sha?

Mai is the one with the info. I would recommend sending her a PM.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

8 hours ago, CaID said:

the shell size and velocity is close to the KV-2 that mean the penetration should also not be much different. however, the Hiro-sha have the APHE which should have a better pen. i couldn't find the accurate penetration since those shell are meant to be artillery shell to break down building and bunker. but i found the specification for each shell and according to it, we can calculated the average penetration. and also the Hiro-sha should have a better reload that the KV-2, even with a reduced crew for the Type 96, it can have a reload of about 30sec stock. this could easily make it to tier 3-4

Perfect 

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, LUCACE said:

lol it looks like the baby of a T95. 

it's more like his Japanese Grampa. something like old mr Miyagi

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CaID said:

it's more like his Japanese Grampa. something like old mr Miyagi

"but how do i fight cold war tanks Mr. Miyagi?"

"simple. it enough training, time, and dedication... you can DOMINATE THE OPPOSITION!" 

...in my headcanon, Mr. Miyagi became a diehard warhammer 40k Khorne fanatic. trust me he's cooler this way.

...also, a khorne skin for a giant derping japanese SPG... i'll just stick that on the old to-do list.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 5/29/2017 at 4:19 PM, CaID said:

are you sure of this? the only Schneider 120mm that correspond to this cannon on the picture was the model 1897 which was built in about 40 gun and sold to Serbian and Bulgaria. However it do look like the Japanese type 96 who was produced from 1937.

It's a schneider...

Ptn83YY.png

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal

10 hours ago, Mai_Waffentrager said:

It's a schneider...

Ptn83YY.png

No it's not. that gun doesn't match and wasn't found in Japan. the picture is more like a review of the gun from some Japanese magazine to me. the crew is clearly from the French Navy in the early 1900s

the gun doesn't even match.

it was a type 41 12cm

here some comparison to prove the match.

jiro_12cm.thumb.jpg.f1c6ebf0470a64dad983

the Type 41 was produced in Japan and was used as coastal gun and naval gun. the gun can have a recoil spring which is perfectly matching with the gun on the picture. the British QF 4.7inches was the original gun which the Type 41 12cm was based on. the British gun was also used the AP shell.

QF_4.7_inch_gun_ammunition_diagrams.jpg

It also have better match with the Type 3 120mm 11years that was used in Japan for coastal defense. the muzzle, the collar and recoil spring match but the collar is a little far from the shield and mechanical part on the side doesn't match

120mm-45-caliber-11-year-type-gun.jpg

here there is also the Type 10 12cm dual purpose that have a matching muzzle, spring and mechanical part on the side but not the collar. the Type 10 was also used as AAA

120mm-45caliber-naval-gun-type-10.jpg

Edited by CaID
  • Upvote 4

I'm sorry but you clearly cannot read Japanese. 

HcFkytk.png

R3wiyfj.png

knU7m3Y.png

iEJKQpB.png

Schneider_120mm_mark_78-10-31_gun_2.jpg

It's a Schneider. Japan had multiple Schneider cannons at hand during the 30's. Two of them were used in the project, both a Long and Shortened 120mm Schneider cannon. It's clearly a Schneider, Japanese sources prove its a Schneider.

Please stop talking about a field of vehicles you clearly are not intelligent in.

Edited by Mai_Waffentrager

SAUBER_KH7 (Posted )

Look, there seems to have been a disagreement on the matter. But that does not mean you can belittle them about it. You said: "If you had any scrape of knowledge in Japanese tanks you could have known even this much" There is a nicer way to explain one is wrong, and this is not a good one. Please, Do Not: 1.1.1. Insult any forum members or forum staff. 1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas. 1.1.23. Any post judged to be "insulting and/or inflammatory by deed or intention" by the Gaijin Staff and administrators.
  • Upvote 7
medal medal medal

Neither can you even recall the name of the tank properly. Its the Ji-Ro. If you had any scrape of knowledge in Japanese tanks you could have known even this much. The tank was part of the Ro-Go conversion project under the name Ji-Ro. Two prototypes built, and this specific model is the Experimental 12cm Self Propelled Gun. 

Edited by Mai_Waffentrager
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal

_Catweazle_63
_Catweazle_63 gave CaID a warning for this post
Reason: Rule Breaking Warning · Points: 1 ·
1 hour ago, Mai_Waffentrager said:

I'm sorry but you clearly cannot read Japanese. 

HcFkytk.png

R3wiyfj.png

knU7m3Y.png

iEJKQpB.png

Schneider_120mm_mark_78-10-31_gun_2.jpg

It's a Schneider. Japan had multiple Schneider cannons at hand during the 30's. Two of them were used in the project, both a Long and Shortened 120mm Schneider cannon. It's clearly a Schneider, Japanese sources prove its a Schneider.

Please stop talking about a field of vehicles you clearly are not intelligent in.

1 hour ago, Mai_Waffentrager said:

Neither can you even recall the name of the tank properly. Its the Ji-Ro. If you had any scrape of knowledge in Japanese tanks you could have known even this much. The tank was part of the Ro-Go conversion project under the name Ji-Ro. Two prototypes built, and this specific model is the Experimental 12cm Self Propelled Gun. 

the recoil spring on the gun of the tank is clearly centered and way bigger that the one on the Schneider. Plus there is no record that the Schneider was ever found in Japan. all those picture drawing which could be interpretation or hypotheses from someone who is for me Unknown. keep in mind that so far you don't show any evidence of that gun was ever in Japan but only your word. i will need something more than that. just admit that the Type 41 is more alike the gun on that picture than the one Schneider.

For the name, i know there is no official name but more a name that was needed to refer as this tanks. Experimental 12cm could be any tanks with a 120mm. HIro and Ji-Ro is two name for the same project. there is reference of that same tank under the both name. it doesn't matter how you see it.

So far i address you with all due respect and i would be happy if you keep it the same way. you don't know my back ground, you don't know my knowledge and you don't know anything about me, you may don't like me but to arguer is healthy for the mind. no need to make personal insult.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, CaID said:

No it's not. that gun doesn't match and wasn't found in Japan. the picture is more like a review of the gun from some Japanese magazine to me. the crew is clearly from the French Navy in the early 1900s

the gun doesn't even match.

it was a type 41 12cm

here some comparison to prove the match.

jiro_12cm.thumb.jpg.f1c6ebf0470a64dad983

it's clearly a Type 41 to me

2 hours ago, Mai_Waffentrager said:

he almost finish his master in History at the university. he is always reading about that.

he always recheck everything and when he is wrong he will admit it. but i don't think he is about that gun. just that picture make it clear to me. the gun on that thank doesn't look like a shcneider.

Edited by caid_wife
  • Upvote 3

nUbPAXv43EgL1rg3vw8xr0SaX_vRSMVJxP5SRS2n

on that picture we can clearly see that the recoil spring is a single and big one centered, the Schneider had 2 smaller spring. the Type 41 did had the same size of spring tube and centered too.

so unless the Japanese got the Schneider gun, modified the spring, elevation gear, and muzzle, produced the shell that fit with it and put it on that tanks and only on this tank for experimental use than i will change it but not before having clear prove of it. until them it will remain unchanged because i am pretty sure it was the Type 41.

• Upvote 3

Since there was a bit of a heated debate over the matter, as a reminder, please keep the discussion nice, civil and free of heated speech in accordance to the forum rules. Warnings have been appropriately issued.

Thank you.:crab:

Edited by SAUBER_KH7
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal