Medium Tank A/T 1*. A British Amphibious Tank.

TasteTheTea

Medium Tank A/T 1 for War Thunder  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this vehicle in-game?

• Yes please.
    • No thank you. (If you don't mind, could you explain why?)
  2. 2. How should it be presented?

• As a regular vehicle
    • As a premium vehicle
    • As a gift or a reward for an event
    • I said no thank you.

Hello, I'd like to suggest a new vehicle for the British tree; an amphibious vehicle much like the LVT(A)(1) (and by extension the LVT(A)(4) ZIS-2) in-game. Details on British amphibious vehicles before and during the war are often obscure and the ones that aren't would be unsuitable for this game (being only armed with MMGs for example) but here is one that I think would be perfectly suitable and well performing (if tiered appropriately).

The Medium Tank, A/T 1*

Spoiler

untitled-2.png.942bb6a834c4f9515e98f65a5

You may have noticed the * in the name, this is a specific variant of the A/T 1 (the others being the A/T 1, A/T 1** and A/T 1***). The A/T 1 was constructed through the fitting of a Covenanter turret with 2 Pounder and Besa to a hull of extensive depth and of riveted construction, built to a maximum armour thickness of 40mm. The resulting vehicle was 24ft long (7.31m), 13ft (3.96m) wide, 11ft (3.35m) tall and weighed some 31 tons. It was powered by a Meadows Flat Twelve engine (the same as the Covenanter) producing 285 hp (220kw) and had no suspension. The A/T 1* was fitted with a sprung jockey roller at the front and used the standard gear box and Wilson steering system from the Covenanter and was provided with an auxiliary box giving high and low ratio, the high ratio giving a theoretical top land speed of 20mph (or 32.19kph) however this was intended for use afloat where the tank would travel at a maximum of 5mph (8kph). The lower ratio was preferred on land to avoid damage which gave a top speed of 10mph (16kph).

As you can see, the hull was considerably spacious. The area inside the tracks was hollow on each side to allow for additional flotation (also notice the lines showing the elevation and depression of the main armament):

Spoiler

59986edb92b97_708f7540743a809afbe702a3fa

Here is a specification sheet for the armour on the Covenanter tank, this provides information on the armour scheme of the turret which was fitted to the A/T 1:

Spoiler

c0bf53d28a80f6c90104dba18bfd0bb4.png.1ca

A/T 1* when afloat had a draught of 5ft and 6in (1.68m) a freeboard of 15in (38.1cm). It had a crew of five, three of them in the turret as Gunner, Loader and Commander and two in the hull as Driver and what was described as "An Extra Hand" to manage the ballast tank. This ballast tank was located down in the bow (or front) of the vehicle and was used to aid traction upon landing, water would be admitted to this tank so that the front of the vehicle lowered and pressed the tracks into the sand to aid grip. Testing on land was conducted at Chobham in Surrey and testing at sea took place near Barry Island in South Wales. The testing authorities were critical of the engine location for it being very difficult to work on, this was because the engine was located deep in the hull, inside an engine room closed off by steel doors in a bulkhead.

Here is a picture of the A/T 1* at sea showing the modest amount of freeboard and the difficulty the driver would have to see given the constant sea spray (drivers had to rely on the turret crew for guidance when their own visibility was impaired like this):

Spoiler

untitled.png.8b71576fea75ebbbee4c7b4e754

Specifications:

Here are some documents provided by @Whelmy detailing the specifications, performance and layout of the A/T 1* and A/T 1** but we'll be focusing on the former: https://imgur.com/a/st6Gq

Armour

Hull Front - 40 - 52mm.

Hull Sides - 14mm. (not including the internal bulkheads).

Hull rear - 9mm.

Hull floor - 9mm.

Spoiler

vGSIvnP.png

Turret - 40mm Basis (see Covenanter diagram for more detail).

Armament

Main gun - 2 Pounder (98 rounds).

Secondary gun - Besa MG (16 boxes of 225 rounds).

Smoke ability - 2" Bomb Thrower (29 bombs).

AA defence - Bren gun with "Lakeman" mounting (600 rounds).

Spoiler

xyn3QB2.png

e4Wjytw.png

LKuJO6m.png

This is a Lakeman mount:

Spoiler

hBnZaOh.jpg

Engine:

Type - Meadow's D.A.V V12 petrol engine.

BHP - 285hp

Governed speed - 2400rpm.

Spoiler

xtfT1zC.png

Transmission:

Gearbox - Meadows 4-speed (all four speeds available in reverse).

Steering - Wilson epicyclic.

Spoiler

PiHsZPk.png

Performance:

Road speed - 10.5mph (12mph in emergencies) or 20mph theoretical. I will leave this to Gaijin's discretion.

Water speed - 4mph.

Climb - 40°

Spoiler

XrC8zqi.png

bwZ84ZC.png

Other:

Vehicle has a weight of 30.75 tons.

Vehicle is "double skinned" with walls of metal behind the actual armour. The tank would remain buoyant even if the space between the skins was flooded. Another part of the document says that the armour was 22mm is thickness, it is likely that this includes a 14mm outer and an 8mm inner skin.

The turret was identical to that of the Covenanter and Crusader, it also had power traverse.

Spoiler

vSKb136.png

ycS8i8r.png

PwP5bQK.png

Uq9EVMJ.png

Sources:

Crusader, Cruiser Tank 1939-45. Osprey - New Vanguard. David Fletcher, Peter Sarson. ISBN 1 85532 512 8.

The Great Tank Scandal - British Tanks in the Second World War Part 1. HMSO. David Fletcher. ISBN 0 11 290460 2.

Edited by Time4Tea
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 24
medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, blakeob said:

Open for discussion. :salute:

Thank you :salute: 

1 hour ago, Traingle_ said:

That looks like the most derp vehicle ever. Pls gib.

It looks better at sea, one could say it even has quite a low profile when most of it is submerged :D.

1 hour ago, Mercedes4321 said:

I have been waiting for this vehicle for awhile. I hope to see more amphibious tanks in game.

As have I, I wanted to suggest it but didn't have enough info until now.

More amphibious vehicles like this would indeed be great. Especially the earlier ones.

medal medal medal medal

10 minutes ago, Time4Tea said:

As have I, I wanted to suggest it but didn't have enough info until now.

More amphibious vehicles like this would indeed be great. Especially the earlier ones.

From what I've heard from Listy he has a section about this vehicle and other British amphibious tanks in his upcoming book.

• Like 3
medal medal medal medal

53 minutes ago, Mercedes4321 said:

From what I've heard from Listy he has a section about this vehicle and other British amphibious tanks in his upcoming book.

Hopefully he might have some more details on the armour for this, I imagine it's something like 14mm for the sides going by other tanks of the time.

medal medal medal medal

11 minutes ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

so basically a brit LVT A1 with a 2-pounder? sure. +1

but god the 2-pounder is painfully horrible. please tell me there's a 6-pounder version at least?

Not that I know of.

medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

but god the 2-pounder is painfully horrible. please tell me there's a 6-pounder version at least?

There isn't sadly since this project was scrapped before the 6 Pounder began to be fitted to tanks. However the 2 Pounder is under performing at the moment both in damage and penetration:

Spoiler

1943(2).thumb.jpg.208a2f7e2d619ad642360c

Edited by Time4Tea
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

When it comes to British amphibious tanks you pretty much only have this, the Buffalo Mk IVs armed with the 20mm Polstens, or the LVT(A)-4s used by the 34th Amphibian Support Regiment, Royal Marines. By the way, I have a good video of that last exercise that regiment did before they disbanded, where they showed off all of the different LVT variants they had. Including some with Land Mattress rocket projectors.

Edited by Mercedes4321
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal

Looks like Nigel has himself a British LVT +1

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Whelmy said:

Enjoy

Some reports.

https://imgur.com/a/Lk22h

Wow, thank you. I'll add this to the suggestion. I didn't think it would have that much frontal armour. 40-52mm if I'm reading that right?

Edited by Time4Tea
medal medal medal medal