pieve

Type 87 ARV  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Type 87 ARV?

• Yes. I support this Suggestion
    • No. I dont support this Suggestion
  2. 2. Which battle rating would you like Type 87 ARV?

jp~.gif

Type-87 ARV

type_87_rcv_reconnaissance_vehicle_by_dd

Testing for Type-87 started in 1985 and Type-87 would eventually be developed by Komatsu based on the previous Type-82.

The Type 87 features a new redesigned hull of all-welded steel construction, but utilises the same automotive components of the Type 82 6x6 command and communications vehicle. The rectangular shaped body of the Type 87 is sloped in the front. The vehicle accommodates five crew members including the driver, assistant driver / radio operator, commander, gunner and observer.

The two-man turret is located in the centre of the hull, slightly forward of the second axle. A stowage box is mounted on the rear of the turret.

Spoiler

JGSDF%20Type%2087%20RCV_23.jpg

The entry door is located in the centre of the second and third axles on the left side of the hull. It is provided with a single observation block. The right side of the body has a similar door that also opens forwards. The vehicle is also fitted with power steering and passive night vision device as the standard equipment.

3-kba-cannon.jpg

Armament
The main turret houses the swiss-origin Oerlikon Contraves 25mm KBA cannon produced under licence by Japan Steel Works. It can fire a wide range of NATO rounds like the HEI-T, SAPHEI-T, TP-T, APDS-T, TPDS-T, APFSDS-T and FADPS. As a close-range multipurpose weapon, this gun is rated at 600 rpm, and the fire could be also guided by tracers fired by the 7.62mm machine gun mounted coaxially to the right. Supplies includes 140 rounds of 25mm and 400 rounds of 7.62mm.

3036_49_156-oerlikon-contraves-kba.jpg

APFSDS-T: Armour Piercing, Fin Stabilized, Discarding Sabot, Tracer (APFSDS-T) C137

MCA_25x137mm_C1371.jpg

The 25 x 137 mm Armour Piercing, Fin-Stabilized, Discarding Sabot, Tracer (APFSDS-T) C137 cartridge is designed for use in the M242 Bushmaster I chain gun and Oerlikon-Contraves KBA machinegun. Using components supplied by Rheinemetall (formally: Oerlikon-Contraves Pyrotec AG), the C137 cartridge is assembled under licence by GD-OTS Canada in accordance with Canadian requirements. The projectile includes a tungsten-alloy long-rod penetrator which is carried in a plastic sabot. It is stabilized with aluminum fins and the rear of the fin unit contains a tracer unit.

• Maximum Effective Range: 2,000 m.
  • Penetration: 31 mm of armour plate at 60° obliquity at 2,000 m.
  • Trace Visibility: 2,000 m.

HEI-T: High Explosive, Incendiary, Tracer (HEI-T) C142

MCA_25x137mm_C142.jpg

The 25 mm x 137 mm High Explosive, Incendiary, Tracer (HEI-T) C142 cartridge is designed for use in the M242 Bushmaster I chain gun and Oerlikon-Contraves KBA machinegun. Using components supplied by a US partner, the C142 cartridge is assembled under licence by GD-OTS Canada in accordance with Canadian requirements. Its steel thin-walled projectile is loaded with 30 g of HE and incendiary composition with red tracer composition at the rear. The C142 cartridge has a PDM 758 fuze with a self-destruct mechanism that activates between 6 and 19 s after firing should there be no target impact.

• Muzzle Velocity: 1,100 m/s
  • Maximum Effective Range: 2,000 m
  • Trace Visibility: Out to 2,000 m

FAPDS-T: Armour Piercing, Frangible, Tracer, Discarding Sabot (FAPDS-T) C138

MCA_25x137mm_C1381.jpg

The 25 x 137 mm Frangible, Fin-Stabilized, Discarding Sabot, Tracer (FAPDS-T) C138 cartridge is designed for use in the M242 Bushmaster I chain gun and Oerlikon-Contraves KBA machinegun. Using components supplied by Rheinemetall (formally: Oerlikon-Contraves Pyrotec AG), the C138 cartridge is assembled under licence by GD-OTS Canada in accordance with Canadian requirements. The projectile is made up of a penetrator of frangible metal carried in a plastic sabot. After penetrating the target, the projectile disintegrates into a cloud of fragments to cause widespread damage.

• Muzzle Velocity: 1,310 m/s
  • Penetration: 25mm of armour plate at 60° obliquity at 2,000 m
  • Trace Visibility: Out to 2,000 m

TP-T: Target Practice, Tracer (TP-T) C152

MCA_25x137mm_C1521.jpg

The 25 x 137 mm Target Practice, Tracer (TP-T) cartridge is designed for use in the M242 Bushmaster I chain gun and Oerlikon-Contraves KBA machinegun. It matches ballistically the HEI-T C142 cartridge. Using components supplied by a US partner, the TP-T cartridge is assembled under licence by GD-OTS Canada in accordance with Canadian requirements. Its inert projectile is made of a hollow steel shell with alloy nose cap and tracer composition.

• Muzzle Velocity: 1,100 m/s.
  • Maximum Effective Range: 2,000 m.
  • Trace Visibility: Out to 2,000 m.

m02008020300008.jpg

Mobility
The Komatsu Type 87 is given a Isuzu 10PBI 10-cylinder, water-cooled diesel, coupled to manual transmission with six forward and one reverse speed. It is rated for 305hp at 2,700rpm and its compartment is located at the rear-right of the hull (the observer being seated on the left). For 10 tonnes, it allows a top speed on flat of 100 kph. Ground clearance is about 45cm, but the vehicle is not amphibious and can only ford about 1 meter of water without preparation. However there is a central tyre inflation system to cross the most sloppy grounds. The Type 87 has a range of 500 km and can climb a 60% gradient,
30% side slope, 60 cm vertical step and 1.50 m trench.

Ammunition performance 25 mm armour steel, 60° (NATO) angle of impact, 1000m range, corresponding to the armour of a well armoured infantry fighting vehicle.

pb114124.jpg

pb114125.jpg

Dimensions (l-w-h):     5.99 x 2.48 x 2.80 m (19’6” x 8’13” x 9’2”)
Total weight, battle ready:  10-15 Tonnes
Crew:5 (driver, radio operator, gunner, observer and commander)
Propulsion:     Isuzu 10PBI 10-cyl wc diesel 305 hp
Suspensions:     Coil springs
Top Speed: 100 km/h (65 mph)
Operational range:  500 km (310 miles)
Armament:  25 mm Oerlikon Contraves 

Secondary armament: 7.92 mm
Armour: 8mm Rolled homogeneous armour

source:

Edited by pieve
Prefix.
  • Upvote 22
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

This can be good against light tanks +1

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

i partly agree with TheLastYouSee.

the Type 87 Burakkuai is pretty cool, but it lacks the capability to be a serious threat against tanks, and putting it at low tier requires more suspension of disbelief than most are willing to give.

that said it would at least make for a worthwhile AA. and considering that gaijin is both considering and internally testing the feasibility of attack helicopters in WT, IFVs and ARVs that lack ATGMs or recoilless rifles may someday have their niche.

i'm not willing to say yes just yet, but i'm not going to vote no either.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

At first I was like "31mm of penetration? That sounds pathetic." And then I read "At 60 degrees obliquity at 2000m." Holy HESH of Antioc. That's amazing.

Edited by Brogan1
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 26-8-2017 at 0:27 AM, Admiral_Aruon said:

that said it would at least make for a worthwhile AA. and considering that gaijin is both considering and internally testing the feasibility of attack helicopters in WT, IFVs and ARVs that lack ATGMs or recoilless rifles may someday have their niche.

even as AA it would be lack luster any IFV/APC with an ATGM and autcannon can work in game but this cant atleast not in my opinion

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The limiting factor of this vehicle is definitely the gun. Question is, however, whether it would be able to out-manoeuvrer its opponents and get into a position from which it can effectively engage MBTs. Most current Rank V and upcoming Rank VI vehicles don't have particularly strong side armour (some are weakly armoured even from the front), so with high enough BR (out of the Maus, E-100 and IS-4M bracket), this vehicle can be very interesting for skilled players.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
On 03/09/2017 at 8:55 PM, Daddo2 said:

The limiting factor of this vehicle is definitely the gun. Question is, however, whether it would be able to out-manoeuvrer its opponents and get into a position from which it can effectively engage MBTs. Most current Rank V and upcoming Rank VI vehicles don't have particularly strong side armour (some are weakly armoured even from the front), so with high enough BR (out of the Maus, E-100 and IS-4M bracket), this vehicle can be very interesting for skilled players.

besides being fast the penetration of ammunition is very good

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Wheeled TDs will come, so this would be good - though they need to test wheeled vehicles extensively. We dont want them silly, like in AW. Once they work well, this would be useful. Japan needs more !

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 10/15/2017 at 8:54 PM, pieve said:

besides being fast the penetration of ammunition is very good

but how strong would it be from 100m though? 2km ranges are rare and highly difficult to pull off, and most maps go from point blank range to 1000-1500 meters from reliable shooting positions.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Some like it small, understandable.... 

But I like mine BIG: 

Spoiler

Image result for Type 16 MCV

Type 16 Maneuver Combat Vehicle 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

But I like mine BIG: 

Reveal hidden contents

I would also like to see him in the line of tank destroyers in Tier-VI.

• 1 month later...

The Type 87 would be a pretty bad AA vehicle, as any IFV would be, because they're not designed to be used against fast moving targets at high altitudes. However, if the KDA autocannon would be complemented by a Jyu-Mat launcher on the turret, it would make for an incredibly versatile and competitive addition for tier 6, not unlike the BMP-1P.

In reality the Jyu-Mat has and is not being used on the Type 87, but it's not an unrealistic alteration to the vehicle. The Jyu-Mat (and Chu-Mat) systems can be mounted on pretty much every vehicle fitted with a proper mounting and the Type 87 also has a five man crew that includes a spotter, so even if the ATGM would only be attached to the vehicle and the gunner wouldn't be able to use it with his FCS, the commander or spotter could do it manually through the open hatch like TOWs are operated on HMMWVs or Chu-Mats are operated on Komatsu LAVs.

And honestly, Japan needs the Type 87, since they had no tanks apart from their MBT line. The only realistically implementable vehicles apart from this one are upgraded versions/more prototypes of the Type 74 or the first prototype of the Type 90, which is out of timeframe atm. And seeing as tanks like the E-100, the Object 906 and other unicorns are in the game, Gaijin can take the liberty to stick an ATGM on a recon tank.

Edited by JED89
medal medal

On 10/20/2017 at 8:47 PM, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

But I like mine BIG: 

Hide contents

It has anti 105mm frontal armor.

medal medal