How do you use Japanese dive bombing sights?

Pz_KpfW

12 hours ago, MrTommi said:

I assume a dive has to be very steep to see the target.

The theory behind dive bombing is to attack as close to 90degrees as possible to ensure the bomb goes straight down.

It's definitely a bombing scope since a normal gun scope would only need the circle in the center. I think the numbers are used to measure distance like in tank scopes.

Edited by blastedryan
clarification
  • Like 1
medal medal medal

• Senior Technical Moderator
1 hour ago, blastedryan said:

Dive bombers attacked as close to 90degrees as possible to ensure the bomb goes straight down

Citation needed.

US training and German training mention dives from 50 to 70°, not vertical dive.

Vertical diving can result on the bomb going through your propeller (and destroying it) because you have airbrakes and bombs don't.

1 hour ago, Rapitor said:

Citation needed.

US training and German training mention dives from 50 to 70°, not vertical dive.

Vertical diving can result on the bomb going through your propeller (and destroying it) because you have airbrakes and bombs doesn't.

I was generalizing the concept. They obviously wouldn't do vertical dives since the bombs need to fall away from the plane. Not to mention the possibility of accidentally going '91degrees' and having the bomb fall towards the plane.

Heck, if they were doing vertical dives they wouldn't need a complicated bombing sight just a level.

Edited by blastedryan
medal medal medal

One division is set so that when the sea level is seen with a dropping altitude of 650 m and a descent angle of 60 degrees, the interval is 10 m each.

Dive bombing is basically 60 degrees, in the Japanese Navy.
Y7OnRW9.jpg

D3A dive to USS Hornet. ( Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands on 26 October 1942. )
PLjJhxK.jpg

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Then the question still remains, how to use them properly? I took a spin in test flight. I tried to match 3rd person bomb indicator with the scope sight. Even in steep dives the target was just on the edge of the scope though there is a bit of delay when I cycle perspective from 3rd person to scope.

I was looking for more planes with scopes, I remembered them on the HS-129, a dedicated ground attack plane with heavy guns and I found them on the F3F. It is only with the japanese that scopes can be found on their dive bombers.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 9/22/2017 at 11:42 PM, *tester188 said:

One division is set so that when the sea level is seen with a dropping altitude of 650 m and a descent angle of 60 degrees, the interval is 10 m each.

Dive bombing is basically 60 degrees, in the Japanese Navy.

Does that mean that in a 60 degree dive, releasing the bombs at 650m, they will hit in the centre of the bomb sight?  How do you measure the angle of dive?

The interval is 10m in which way? Horizontal distance to the target? Or 10m in height above the target?

Why is there a bold/darker line running through the number 6s and makinq a square?

Edited by Pz_KpfW

• 3 years later...