M46 Tiger - remove always visible decal

Schindibee

• Senior Game Master

Hello there

Taking my premium M46 "Tiger" out recently (after 1.71 came out) I noticed that the big "Tiger Face" decal which comes with this Premium Tank is always applied to the glacis, even though I have a completely different set of decals applied (Note all four decal slots used, yet Tiger Face still visible):

Bug_M46_Tiger_171_1.jpg

I first though this was a bug, but later found ot it's actually a "feature", and seems to be intended that way - although the reason/justification for this change completley eludes me...

I checked also other vehicles which have vehicle-specific decals (Cobra King, Black Cat, Iron Duke, KV-220, Su-76 Premium, ...), but none of these have a similar issue...

Suggestion:

The M46 "Tiger" skin should be reverted to the old variant, with the Tiger face not implemented as a part of the skin, but only as a decal.

Reasoning:

1. The possibility to apply decals to decorate a permium vehicle should be considered a bonus, but being forced to do so is actually a malus, especiall in this case where the decal is very large and highly visible, thus making camouflaging the tank very difficult.
    Being 'rewarded' with a decal when purchasing a premium vehicle is something that may motivate people to actually buy it, but being 'forced' to use the decal may on the other hand make at least some players shy away from a purchase...

2. Other premium vehicle similarly coming with special decals do not have them included in the skin, so it would be illogical and unfair to force the decal on owners of that specific vehicle.

3. It could be argued that this is done to make the "Tiger" distinguishable from regular M46 tanks - but I see no reason why this should even be necessary.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 17

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Thanks 1

• Senior Live Moderator

The same feature was done to the German premium mKpz M47.

• Senior Game Master
6 minutes ago, CmdNomad said:

Yes, and this is one other reason why I really want to collect as much support as possible, because I do NOT like this trend.

We have quite a lot if premium vehicles in game which feature special decals as part of the deal (when buying it originally...):

M4A3E2 "Cobra King"

M18 "Black Cat"

Comet I "Iron Duke"

Inf. Kampfpanzer Churchill

A13 RTR

Grant (S.U.M.M.E.R.)

KV-220 (S.U.M.M.E.R.)

SU-76M 5th Gds.

M3A1 Stuart USMC

M5A1 5th Arm.

IS2 Avenger

T-III

T-V

T-34 1stGvTBr

Now there's three things I fear:

1. They don't make any premiums anymore with special decals, but apply the marking directly as part of the skins, therefore not removable... (example +M47)

2. They will "fix" decals also for all those other vehicle already out... (example M46 "Tiger",as we see above)

3. They will remove already existin decals of those vehicles mentioned under point 2... (luckily no example - yet?!?)

I really enjoy decorating all my vehicles in a unique way, exactly as I like to. Having this option removed will make those Premiums much less appealing and thus less valuable to me...     = (

• Senior Live Moderator

It could be a great way to start extending the user skin revenue share to tanks.

So far this wasn't possible due to the way skin worked.

• Senior Game Master
11 minutes ago, CmdNomad said:

It could be a great way to start extending the user skin revenue share to tanks.

So far this wasn't possible due to the way skin worked.

This yes, but that could easily be "in addition" to the current way skins work.

Form the technical side of things, I don't see why nice cstomer skins could be made available to the public in a revenue share program, both including good "generic" skins as well as (even more interesting) direct paint skins depictin concrete vehicles!

Here we kinda have a mix: a specific shceme, where we can apply our own decals.

Plus 1.:)

I would like to see this as an option as some might want to keep the permanent decals as well as add their own.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

First of all I support the suggestion, BUT in my opinion Gaijin should change the skin of the M46 "Tiger" from the 73rd Tank Battalion to the 6th Medium Tank Battalion . Most skins for premium vehicles where the vehicle itself is already in the normal tree resemble historical vehicles that actually existed. This does not really apply to the M46 "Tiger" in the game since it does have the same paintjob. 

M46 "Tiger" ingame:

Spoiler

M46_Tiger_Garage.jpg

M46 of the 73rd Tank Battalion, Korea:

Spoiler

post-78-0-40596300-1394330483.jpg

Notice that the eyes are slightly different, teeth are smaller ...

M46 of the 6th Medium Tank Battalion, Korea:

Spoiler

iem4p6o4zvd9k826g.jpg

99y8eozvd7yyd0z6g.jpg?size_id=5

reTOX9O.jpg

Implementing this skin would also go well with the revenue share idea from above because really good user skins that resemble the  M46 Tiger of the 6th Medium Tank Battalion already exist, and in my opinion this skin would have way more character and make the M46 "Tiger" a really unique vehicle.

Edited by XDrake991
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

please, please PLEAAASEEE remove this. i can't even begin to state how much i hate this. playing a "historical" tank in a non historical context is borderline offensive too me, being i have no relation to any of the original crew. at the very least, a refund should be offered. as in its current state, i'll never be using this tank again 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

no1 wants decals forced upon them

And if i knew this before hand i wouldn't have bought it.. there are enough good non-premiums at 7.0/7.3/7.7 to skip this premium.

seriously it's just a bad idea to make a tank that your players need to BUY, not 100% customizable

this trend is gonna cause loses in sales imo

would ask for a refund if i thought i stood a chance.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Yes to reverting please, permanent decals are bad, don't become Wargaming with stunts like that. Let people customize their tanks how they wish, they paid you a nice sum for it, so let them choose what kind of decals or no decals they want on their tanks. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

When I was deciding on a Premium to purchase the Tiger decal was the factor for not choosing that vehicle. War Thunder’s own training videos warn you about bright decals giving your position away and to decide to use them or not but then they have this giant yellow “shoot here” emblem. It doesn’t make sense.  At a minimum it should be a subdued black/OD color.  Maybe they’ll fix it.  

medal medal

I think some of you guys do not understand the concept of those vehicles.

The reason why they are premium is because they were famous for having a well-known camouflage, or for being used by well-known squadrons or pilots/tankers.

If you remove the decals said squadrons or crewmans put on the vehicle, it's no longer special and should no longer be premium. So I'm full against the possibility of removing those decals.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Personally, I like that Gaijin did this. But to satisfy both sides I think that they should add another camo that comes unlocked without this decal. Like the standard camo without the decal and an M46 "Tiger" camo with the Tiger decal. Same thing with other tanks. The decals should still come with the tank as well to keep players happy

Edited by Josstuka8888
removed "same thing with others" because it was repetitive
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 26/09/2017 at 7:50 AM, Schindibee said:

Hello there

Taking my premium M46 "Tiger" out recently (after 1.71 came out) I noticed that the big "Tiger Face" decal which comes with this Premium Tank is always applied to the glacis, even though I have a completely different set of decals applied (Note all four decal slots used, yet Tiger Face still visible):

I first though this was a bug, but later found ot it's actually a "feature", and seems to be intended that way - although the reason/justification for this change completley eludes me...

I checked also other vehicles which have vehicle-specific decals (Cobra King, Black Cat, Iron Duke, KV-220, Su-76 Premium, ...), but none of these have a similar issue...

Suggestion:

The M46 "Tiger" skin should be reverted to the old variant, with the Tiger face not implemented as a part of the skin, but only as a decal.

Reasoning:

1. The possibility to apply decals to decorate a permium vehicle should be considered a bonus, but being forced to do so is actually a malus, especiall in this case where the decal is very large and highly visible, thus making camouflaging the tank very difficult.
    Being 'rewarded' with a decal when purchasing a premium vehicle is something that may motivate people to actually buy it, but being 'forced' to use the decal may on the other hand make at least some players shy away from a purchase...

2. Other premium vehicle similarly coming with special decals do not have them included in the skin, so it would be illogical and unfair to force the decal on owners of that specific vehicle.

3. It could be argued that this is done to make the "Tiger" distinguishable from regular M46 tanks - but I see no reason why this should even be necessary.

I am afraid that gaijin will NEVER do this, as this decal is the only thing that keeps this tank at Tier FOUR. (Also, the fact that Gaijin does not want to recognize its mistake of having a Tier FIVE tank as a TIER FOUR PREMIUM! That is, if we make a little blind eye for the RU-251...)

As, other than it being a Tier Four premium, the Tiger face on its UFP is the ONLY difference between it, and the normal M46, which is a Tier FIVE tank. 

Just make it Tier five, and I am good with removing its PERMANENT decal.

medal medal medal

"...we have added one very useful layer - a fixed one."

No Gaijin, it isn't usefull. The M46 has a huge disadvantage now.

Edited by BertTheTurtle
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

i just wanted to say that i fixed the "permanent" decal, its still a wip but i think the statement is clear...ii say we get together in protest, while im all for making this feature optional i dont think it should be forced on us like it is, its distasteful and a bit aof a low blow, considering now, the tank is permanently easy to see...

shot 2017.11.08 10.34.07.jpg

Edited by KotaFox
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'm also in full support of the removal of the permament decals for premium variants of main tree vehicles in the same nation. Now when it comes to that:

On 26.9.2017 at 4:32 PM, Schindibee said:
On 26.9.2017 at 4:16 PM, CmdNomad said:

Yes, and this is one other reason why I really want to collect as much support as possible, because I do NOT like this trend.

this is an entirely different situation, the M47 is in a different tree and the decals should be mandatory to ensure differentiation in SIM (unless both tanks only play together in SIM, but still even in RB it could lead to problems). And to people saying that:

On 3.11.2017 at 8:45 AM, SpaceC0r3 said:

I think some of you guys do not understand the concept of those vehicles.

The reason why they are premium is because they were famous for having a well-known camouflage, or for being used by well-known squadrons or pilots/tankers.

If you remove the decals said squadrons or crewmans put on the vehicle, it's no longer special and should no longer be premium. So I'm full against the possibility of removing those decals.

No. The special thing about that vehicle is NOT that a decal is forced upon you. Maybe, that you get a unique decal, but most important for all the players I know personally are the premium bonuses, and now these tanks are disadvantaged.

I myself unlocked the main tree M46 and unlocked its HEAT (wasnt -FS back then), in the past when i had the choice which vehicle to use I'd use the premium of course as it gets me the bonuses, now i have to weight that agains the disadvantage of having a big and bright "here i am, shoot me here" marker on my tank.

medal medal medal medal