Secret Historical Gun Sights added for T-62 and T-64!

RefrigerRaider

Gaijin added historical sights for tanks finally! But so far, only the T-62 and T-64 is found with them as of yet. 

T-62 gun sight

aaYXV40.png

T-64 gunsight

HIRzwgL.png

To use, go to settings

1. first, Go and take the T-62 or T-64 out for Test Drive (the historical sights settings wont show up unless you are in test drive) , 

Go to Controls->Tank control , under camera control, set Mouse Wheel to "sight distance control", this allows you to use your mouse wheel to adjust the sights ranges.

35UidHr.png

2. Then, Go to Options->Main , under tank battle settings set it to the historical gunsight and voila! there you have it.

SnjsuFy.png

How to use:

This is the T-62 sight, the 3 sections on top are the range gauges for the three different shells the T-62 uses, the first one is APFSDS, second is HEATFS, third is HE. You use your mouse wheel to scroll up and down to set the range for the gun, which is why it is crucial that you set your Mouse Wheel to "SIGHT DISTANCE CONTROL"otherwise this sight would be useless.

Here, i have APFSDS loaded and set the range to ~2.4km according to the gauge. If I loaded heatfs, then according to the gauge, the range is set at ~700m.

The tip of the giant upward pointing arrow in the middle is where you aim your gun.

Q2hI1Ds.png

Here, using apfsds,  I used my mouse wheel to scroll to distance of about 1.2km. I aimed at the Kpz-70 and fired, bulls eye! 

iQzVJJG.png

Now you are wondering what that feature on the bottom right of the T-62 gun sight is. That is the stadiametric rangefinder, with a minimum range of 1km to a maximum of 3km.

It is used to calculate the distance of a target that has a height of 2.7m. This is fairly accurate, but not precise, since tanks have different heights, but often close enough for fairly accurate calculation. For example, Leopard 1 is 2.4m tall, M60 is 3.2m tall, Chieftain is 2.9m tall. 

Heres how to use it, below, I am calculating the distance of the chieftain mk 10. I calculated that the chieftain is approximately 1km away, and since the chieftain is 2.9m tall, the calculating is accurate enough. so I set the distance to 1km for apfsds, aimed and fired. Bulls eye, one shot one kill.

Also important note, the stadiametric rangefinder becomes useless unless you can measure the entire height, so if the target is hull down, you cant measure him since part of his hull is not visible, making for very inaccurate calculation.

JdDRNKx.png

QGy0f9r.png

This below is the T-64 sight, which is very simplistic, likely because it uses an fcs so theres no range gauges or stadiametric rangefinder. Because FCS is not in game, this gunsight is inferior to the T-62. But you can still adjust range of the gun using mouse wheel and the number will show on top left side.

HIRzwgL.png

Thats all for now, hope you guys enjoy, this feature is most usefull playing rb and sb.

Edited by RefrigerRaider
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal

1 hour ago, RefrigerRaider said:

this feature is most usefull playing rb and sb.

T-64's scope and the word 'useful' are incompatible.

T-62's is really good-looking, but I seriously doublt its usefullness and convenience compared to the default one. Good luck adjusting that sight distance every time you need to shoot. It may be interesting, but won't result in many kills.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

did you try it out? i personally had no problems with t-62, the thing adjusts super fast, like instantaneous.

you can still aim without the default sight lines, the sight is pretty much same scale, its really useful when beyond 1km combat distance

Edited by RefrigerRaider
medal medal medal

17 minutes ago, Jamm3e said:

T-64's scope and the word 'useful' are incompatible.

T-62's is really good-looking, but I seriously doublt its usefullness and convenience compared to the default one. Good luck adjusting that sight distance every time you need to shoot. It may be interesting, but won't result in many kills.

Good move by Gaijin!

I'm mainly a steelbeasts player, and the  T-62 is by far not one of my favourit tanks there. But the sights are useful. You don't have to adjust the sight for each shot, and real life CCCP tankers didn't....

Esp. with the flat trajectory of the APFSDS rounds, you can set the range to 1200m, and basicly hit anything from 0-1600 center mass,  with just s slight adjustment of the aimpoint.

If you want to try out T-62 an other "real" tank optics...follow the link in my sig-line

22 minutes ago, RefrigerRaider said:

did you try it out? i personally had no problems with t-62, the thing adjusts super fast, like instantaneous.

you can still aim without the default sight lines, the sight is pretty much same scale, its really useful when beyond 1km combat distance

I tried it on the shooting range and saw no advantage over the default scope. 

And why would you want to adjust sight distance in Arcade? 

not for arcade, for rb and sb :DD

its convenient that all the sight ranges are shown, and the rangefinder allows you to quickly find range and attack targets beyond 1km. this is not for arcade of course

Edited by RefrigerRaider
medal medal medal

41 minutes ago, RefrigerRaider said:

its convenient that all the sight ranges are shown, and the rangefinder allows you to quickly find range and attack targets beyond 1km.

You mean 4 scales for each ammo type? Why is this convenient? The usual single scale that automatically adjusts for the selected shell is much more practical and does not clutter the screen.

Rangefinder isn't bad, and I can draw the same one and put it on this sight I made for myself.

ZbnOsmx.png

5 hours ago, Jamm3e said:

but won't result in many kills.

Perhaps, but that is secondary.

Primary thing is that the tanks have the correct (historical) one.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

6 hours ago, Jamm3e said:

You mean 4 scales for each ammo type? Why is this convenient? The usual single scale that automatically adjusts for the selected shell is much more practical and does not clutter the screen.

Eye candy? I myself and I am sure many others love it.

Edited by Maki3006
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Jamm3e said:

Rangefinder isn't bad, and I can draw the same one and put it on this sight I made for myself.

The generic sights in Warthunder are kind of annoying to me:

- the center crosshair is not at some usefull engagement range, but a the zero point (No RL sight does it that way)

- the range numbers are away from the center line, so its harder to link the point of impact to a number...terrible ergonomics

- not having RL stadia lines is big immersion killer.

The russian sight system is not one of my favourites, but its better then what the generic sight offers.

Attached video is meant to cover the TC<->gunner interaction. But from minute 05:12 it shows some points on how to use the T-tanks sights.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, RefrigerRaider said:

I doubt it is correct

looks pretty similar to T-72 sights(well, its the same sighting system)

tpd-2-49_Strichplatte.jpg

Kinda difficult to implement this kind of sight, because the player has no way to adjust the range for the ammo type selected. That would have been done automatically by the sight in a T-64A. The range dial at the top would be unusable, because of how limited the sight mechanic in WT is.

Edited by Flavettes
medal medal

The TDP-2-49 sight in game action. (starting from minute 4:22) The first shot at enemy tanks a Minute 5:56

Edited by Ronin_GE
  • Upvote 1