BMP-2 Vehicle Suggestion

CoMurey2

Stats for Devs  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the BMP-2 in game?

• Yes!
    • No!!! I'm scared of facing it in Battle.

Hello Tankers.

I would like to Suggest the second edition of the Russian infantry combat vehicle "BMP" the BMP-2. Honestly we need more toys in the Light Tanks division :DD. This vehicle it's amazing, it can play the role of Light Tank-Anti-Air-Tank Destroyer. basically it's 4 in 1 if we count (Troop Carrier)

BMP-2_military_parade_rehearsal.thumb.jp 

BMP-2 Specs:

Crew 3
Troop Capacity 7 passengers
Combat Weight (mt) 14.3
Chassis Length Overall (m) 6.72
Height Overall (m) 2.45
Width Overall (m) 3.15
Ground Pressure (kg/cm 2 ) 0.63
Automotive Performance  
Engine Type 300-hp Diesel
Cruising Range (km) 600
Speed (km/h)  
Max Road 65
Max Off-Road 45
Average Cross-Country 35
Max Swim 7
Fording Depth (m) Amphibious
Radio R-123M transceiver or R-173
Protection  
Armor, Turret Front (mm) 23-33
Applique Armor (mm) On BMP-2D
Explosive Reactive Armor (mm) Available
Active Protective System N/A
Mineclearing Equipment KMT-8 mine plow available
Self-Entrenching Blade N/A
NBC Protection System Collective
Smoke Equipment 6 smoke grenade launchers, VEESS
ARMAMENT
Main Armament  
Caliber, Type, Name 30-mm automatic gun, 2A42
Rate of Fire (rd/min) 550 cyclic in bursts/ 200-300 practical
Loader Type Dual-belt feed
Ready/Stowed Rounds 500/0
Elevation (�) -5 to +74
Fire on Move Yes
Auxiliary Weapon  
Caliber, Type, Name 7.62-mm (7.62x 54R) machinegun, PKT
Mount Type Turret coax
Maximum Aimed Range (m) 2,000
Max Effective Range (m)  
Day 1,000
Night INA
Fire on Move Yes
Rate of Fire (rd/min) 250 practical/650 cyclic, 2-10 round bursts
ATGM Launcher  
Name 9P135M1/M3
Launch Method Tube-launched
Guidance SACLOS
Command Link Wire
Launcher Dismountable Yes
Firing Port 4 on left side, 3 on right side 1 in left rear door
FIRE CONTROL
FCS Name BPK-1-42 or BPK-2-42
Main Gun Stabilization 2-plane
Rangefinder Laser
Infrared Searchlight Yes
Sights w/Magnification  
Gunner  
Day BPK-1-42 or BPK-2-42
Field of View (�) 8
Acquisition Range (m) 2,500-4,000 (est)
Night BPK-1-42 or BPK-2-42 II/IR
Field of View (�) INA
Acquisition Range (m) INA
Commander Fire Main Gun No
MAIN ARMAMENT AMMUNITION
Caliber, Type, Name  
30-mm AP-T
Maximum Aimed Range (m) 2,500
Max Effective Range (m)  
Day 1,500
Night INA
Tactical AA Range 4,000
Armor Penetration (mm) 18 (RHA, 60�) at 1,500 m
30-mm APDS
Max Effective Range (m)  
Day 2,000
Night INA
Tactical AA Range 4,000
Armor Penetration (mm) 25 (RHA) at 1,500m
30-mm APFSDS-T M929
Max Effective Range (m)  
Day 2,000+
Night INA
Tactical AA Range 4,000
Armor penetration (mm) 55 (RHA) at 1,000m/45 at 2,000m
30-mm Frag-HE
Maximum Aimed Range (m) 4,000/ 2,500 point target
Max Effective Range (m)  
Day 4,000
Night INA
Tactical AA Range 4,000
Armor Penetration (mm) INA
Other Ammunition Types 30-mm HEI-T
Antitank Guided Missiles  
Name AT-5/SPANDREL
Warhead Type Shaped charge (HEAT)
Armor Penetration (mm) 650 (RHA)
Range (m) 4,000
Name AT-5B/Konkurs-M
Warhead Type Tandem shaped charge (HEAT)
Armor Penetration (mm) 925 (RHA)
Range (m) 4,000
Name AT-4/SPIGOT
Warhead Type Shaped charge (HEAT)
Armor Penetration (mm) 480 (RHA)
Range (m) 2,000
Name AT-4B/Factoria
Warhead Type Tandem shaped charge (HEAT)
Armor Penetration (mm) 550 (RHA)
Range (m) 2,500

bmp-2-5.thumb.png.e3da68d4121e67ca7902a7

The BMP-2 is broadly similar to the BMP-1. The most significant changes are:

A new two-man turret armed with the 2A42 30 mm autocannon and the 9P135M ATGM launcher capable of firing SACLOS guided 9M111 "Fagot" (AT-4 Spigot), 9M113 "Konkurs" (AT-5 Spandrel) and 9M113M "Konkurs-M" (AT-5B Spandrel B) anti-tank missiles.

The commander now sits with the gunner in an enlarged turret.

Slightly improved armour.

Layout

In the centre of the vehicle is the welded steel turret, which seats the commander and gunner, the commander sits to the right and has three day vision periscopes, a 1PZ-3 day-sight designed for anti-aircraft use with 1x, 2x and 4x magnification. The driver sits in the front left of the vehicle, with the engine in a separate compartment to his right.

Mobility

The BMP-1 and BMP-2 share the same chassis and have almost identical road performance. The BMP-2 is heavier, but also has a more powerful engine to compensate.

The BMP-2 is amphibious with little preparation, using hydrodynamic fairings to convert track momentum into water jets.

5a21ed7b01bd9_30mm2A42.jpg.92fd587f6dccc

5a21ee2327ff4_9P135MATGMlauncher.jpg.5da

Weapons

The main armament is a stabilized 30 mm 2A42 autocannon with dual ammunition feeds, which provide a choice of 3UBR6 AP-T and 3UOR6 HE-T / 3UOF8 HE-I ammunition. The gun has a selectable rate of fire, either slow at 200 to 300 rounds per minute or fast at 550 rounds per minute. The original stabilization provides reasonable accuracy up to a speed of about 35 kilometres per hour.

The AP-T ammunition can penetrate 15 millimetres of armour at sixty degrees at 1,500 metres, while a new APDS-T tungsten round can penetrate 25 millimetres at the same distance. A typical ammunition load is 160 rounds of AP ammunition and 340 rounds of HE ammunition. The ammunition sits in two trays located on the turret floor rear. The gun can be fired from either the commander's or the gunner's station.

The commander's 1PZ-3 sight is specifically designed for anti-aircraft operation and combined with the high maximum elevation of 74 degrees, it allows the 30 mm cannon to be used effectively against helicopters and slow flying aircraft. The turret traverse and elevation are powered and it can traverse 360 degrees in 10.28 seconds and elevate through 74 degrees in 12.33 seconds.

Reloading the BMP-2's 30 mm cannon can be somewhat problematic, and can take up to two hours, even if the ammunition is prepared. Additionally, the cannon is normally only used on the slow rate of fire, otherwise fumes from the weapon would build up in the turret faster than the extractor fan can remove them.[citation needed]

The effective range of the 30 mm cannon is up to 1,500 metres against armour, 4,000 metres against ground targets, and 2,500 metres against air targets.

A coaxial 7.62 mm PKT machine gun is mounted to the left of the 30 mm cannon, and 2,000 rounds of ammunition are carried for it. On the roof of the turret is an ATGM launcher, on Russian vehicles this fires AT-5 Spandrel missiles, but on export models it normally fires AT-4 Spigot missiles. A ground mount for the missile is also carried, allowing it to be used away from the vehicle. The missiles are a substantial improvement on the AT-3 Sagger missiles used on the BMP-1, in both range and accuracy.

Ammo

1-290514112712.thumb.png.1e4ac6b72fc11a95a21e3ef67634_AmmoBMP-2.jpg.5bb7c8089caf

5a21e7d32bc59_30mmAPFSDS-TM929_0.jpg.22b

5a21ec5caab38_BMP-2Ammo.thumb.png.31fdc3

Sources:

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/bmp-2.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP-2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_mm_automatic_cannon_2A42

http://armscom.net/products/30mm_apfsds_t_m929

Community Helpful Sources:

By xX_Lord_James_Xx - https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.se/2016/05/bmp-2.html

By swpixy - http://www.patronen.su/forum/gallery/1-290514112712.jpeg

I hope to be added soon with Patch 1.75.

Show your kind support to this iconic War Vehicle please.

And share any info that can help this to be in the game soon. I'll be adding and updating this frequently. Thank you.

Edited by CoMurey2
typos Correction - Adding sources - Updating Specs
  • Upvote 9

Open for Discussion.:salute:

However, keep in mind this would more likely be a separate vehicle rather than a modification due to the notable differences in armament (30mm vs 73mm).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, SAUBER_KH7 said:

Open for Discussion.:salute:

However, keep in mind this would more likely be a separate vehicle rather than a modification due to the notable differences in armament (30mm vs 73mm).

Thanks as always.

Indeed its more likely to be separate vehicle...

It can't be added as a modification.  There's several significant changes between the BMP-1 and -2 including the turret, gun, ATGM, engine,commander location, infantry hatches and armor profile.

It'd be perfectly acceptable as a separate vehicle but it would have to be a separate vehicle.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Retry said:

It can't be added as a modification.  There's several significant changes between the BMP-1 and -2 including the turret, gun, ATGM, engine,commander location, infantry hatches and armor profile.

It'd be perfectly acceptable as a separate vehicle but it would have to be a separate vehicle.

Right, thats why I'll remove the second question!

Minimal and maximum elevation and horizontal guidance rates. 

Spoiler

nEPORVb.png

Edited by WulfPack
  • Upvote 2
medal

Here, basically all you need to know about the BMP-2: 

https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/bmp-2.html

PS. all his sources are at the bottom, in case you want to fact check. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

Here, basically all you need to know about the BMP-2: 

https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/bmp-2.html

PS. all his sources are at the bottom, in case you want to fact check. 

WOW, Indeed what a useful info, Thanks a lot. I'll add the link to the original post.

9 minutes ago, CoMurey2 said:

WOW, Indeed what a useful info, Thanks a lot. I'll add the link to the original post.

You're welcome, and don't copy what's in there verbatim, check the sources he has. 

Also, might want to remove the M929 APDS-FS shell from the list as that round isn't used by the Russians (to the best of my knowledge) and it's a little too new, best shell should be 3UBR8. 

• Upvote 1

voting yes sure. I see no problem

but i dont really see the a motiviation for many to research the Bmp2 after they get the BMP1 .  theAutocannon would be very usefull if we had to deal with mowing down infantry. Otherwise its inferior for AT duties to the cannon that the Bmp1 has.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

20 minutes ago, kev2go said:

but i dont really see the a motiviation for many to research the Bmp2 after they get the BMP1 .  theAutocannon would be very usefull if we had to deal with mowing down infantry. Otherwise its inferior for AT duties to the cannon that the Bmp1 has.

I´d do it.

For long-range or against really heavy targets i use the Konkurs anyway,and the times when i DO end up using the gun,its usually against something that is either

a) very lightly armored or

b) side-on to me.

The 30 would kill much quicker in those situations.Plus,it would finally allow me to engage aircraft (the BMP-1 is a sitting duck in that regard).

In any case-i support this very much,although i am personally more interrested in the BMD´s.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, kev2go said:

The Autocannon can also be used against low-flying aircraft and helicopters, or at least that's what the Commander's 1PZ-3 AA sight and high traverse rates/elevation angles would imply.

Other than that, the autocannon's rapid fire rate should shred light targets (LTs, most ATGM carriers, SPAAGs) more quickly than the Grom, with the improved ATGM being more capable at taking on T6 MBTs.

Edited by Retry
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

22 hours ago, WulfPack said:

Minimal and maximum elevation and horizontal guidance rates. 

Hide contents

nEPORVb.png

There are two operating modes for the stabilizer in the BMP-2. The one described in that picture is the Semi-Automatic mode, and it's only used against aircraft. The Automatic mode is the default mode for combat against ground targets. The difference between the Semi-Automatic and Automatic mode lies in the precision. The Automatic mode has better precision, but lower maximum guidance rate.

medal medal

18 hours ago, Retry said:

The Autocannon can also be used against low-flying aircraft and helicopters, or at least that's what the Commander's 1PZ-3 AA sight and high traverse rates/elevation angles would imply.

Other than that, the autocannon's rapid fire rate should shred light targets (LTs, most ATGM carriers, SPAAGs) more quickly than the Grom, with the improved ATGM being more capable at taking on T6 MBTs.

Bmp 1 got  a researchable modification  option for the Konkurs.  when unlocked it swaps out the Sagger , along with added smoke disrchargers. IT litterely becomes a Bmp1-P when you unlock it.. the BMp1  already does have that "improved" AGTM to better taking on MBt's at top tier.

Thing is The BMP 1 or 2 doesnt have much agtms anyways to be a dedicated AGTM tank killer. SOoner or later your down to  main Cannon. ANd hence for Tank killing the BMP1's is still better suited than the BMP2 . At least that can still killl many tanks frontally higher than 7.3 b,r with the PG9 HEAT ammo. Autocannons wont be able to get side armor of most tanks. Again only good for memeing SPAA trying to playing tank destroyers or some very light armored tanks. 

Id be much more interested in  a Bmp3, than a BMp2. IMo bigger jump than going to the BMp2 which feels more of a tradeoff than a upgrade.

Then again BMP itself is a pretty niche vehicle, in a game dominated by standard tanks. 

Edited by kev2go

4 hours ago, Flavettes said:

There are two operating modes for the stabilizer in the BMP-2. The one described in that picture is the Semi-Automatic mode, and it's only used against aircraft. The Automatic mode is the default mode for combat against ground targets. The difference between the Semi-Automatic and Automatic mode lies in the precision. The Automatic mode has better precision, but lower maximum guidance rate.

Yeah, my bad.

• Upvote 1
medal

11 hours ago, kev2go said:

Thing is The BMP 1 or 2 doesnt have much agtms anyways to be a dedicated AGTM tank killer. SOoner or later your down to  main Cannon. ANd hence for Tank killing the BMP1's is still better suited than the BMP2 . At least that can still kill a tank  when flanking. Autocannons wont be able to get side armor of most tanks. Again only good for memeing SPAA trying to playing tank destroyers or some very light armored tanks.

Depends on the Ammunition.If it doesnt get the 3UBR8 APDS,yes.If it DOES get it...well,35mm @ 60° @ 1000m,so it will have around 85mm @ 0° @ 1000m.Which is plenty to shred through the sides of just about anything that isnt a superheavy (Maus,E100,T95).And even more so when we consider that in RB and SB,its main opposition will be NATO tanks,none of which have even close to that much sidearmor (let alone rear armor).

13 hours ago, swpixy said:

I´d do it.

For long-range or against really heavy targets i use the Konkurs anyway,and the times when i DO end up using the gun,its usually against something that is either

a) very lightly armored or

b) side-on to me.

The 30 would kill much quicker in those situations.Plus,it would finally allow me to engage aircraft (the BMP-1 is a sitting duck in that regard).

In any case-i support this very much,although i am personally more interrested in the BMD´s.

Indeed that's a good strategy. I also Support BMDs, as you know Russian/Soviet Light Tanks play a big role in their armament.

14 hours ago, kev2go said:

13 hours ago, Retry said:

Off course the Auto cannon of the BMP-2 will not be as good as BMP-1 for taking down heavy armored vehicle, but, it's alone if not compared to bigger calipers guns, it's good. let me put it this way. you know the ZSU-37 that SPAA has AP capability of 102mm at 10m (BR-167P)!!! and I used to kill tiger 2s with it XD, and that's with normal old ammo type of WW2! But, if we take in considerations the modern types of ammo used for the BMP-2 like the M929 which is APFSDS-T with as per the table it does 55mm at 1000m! and that is enough to kill MBT/KPz-70 from the side even if its 1km away! and off course when we add to that 500RPM, well, now the BMP-2 is a fearsome Light Tank...

So, BMP-2 in close ranges against heavy tanks very dangerous. I think the AP values at 10 using the M929 round is between 150-200mm of pen. with 500RPM in mind that's scary to any type of vehicle. Yet! I haven't mentioned the used of ATGMs...

15 minutes ago, swpixy said:

Depends on the Ammunition.If it doesnt get the 3UBR8 APDS,yes.If it DOES get it...well,35mm @ 60° @ 1000m,so it will have around 85mm @ 0° @ 1000m.Which is plenty to shred through the sides of just about anything that isnt a superheavy (Maus,E100,T95).And even more so when we consider that in RB and SB,its main opposition will be NATO tanks,none of which have even close to that much sidearmor (let alone rear armor).

You are my hero dude. We believe in that tank. we can do BMP Squad when ever you are ready.

25 minutes ago, swpixy said:

It's probably close to 120-130mm @ 0m, so this would not be a bad tank. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

Yeah those are the values I believe are most probable. Given the simple armor of the BMP-2 and how the BMP-1 is in-game, this isn't too bad a suggestion. Hell, one can even say that this is a SPAAG with ATGMs. Could definitely be at a higher BR than the BMP-1.

medal

11 minutes ago, Major_Shaker said:

You have my support

Fully appreciate it man.

10 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

Yes, I believe that to be right, and M929 APFSDS-T will have even more pen between 150-200. now imagine that :)

4 minutes ago, Nope said:

Yeah those are the values I believe are most probable. Given the simple armor of the BMP-2 and how the BMP-1 is in-game, this isn't too bad a suggestion. Hell, one can even say that this is a SPAAG with ATGMs. Could definitely be at a higher BR than the BMP-1.

Yes I don't mind it being 9.0, speaking about my self :)

Edited by CoMurey2

5 hours ago, swpixy said:

again unlike the BMP1's Cannon PG9  HEAT ammo with 300mm of penetration  BM2 Auto cannon it wouldnt be able to kill tanks frontally at 7.3 b.r range or higher. Pg9 can still pas through UFP  and turrets  of many medium western tanks that it faces meaning if caught in a frontal encounter without agtms, Unlike with the Bmp2, the BMp1 still has opportunity to kill  many its opponenets fontally. Only real weakness is the low velocity. of the gun requiring more  of elevation than a stanard tank cannon. 

WHich is why for all intents and purposes the Bmp1/P is already more practical in war thunder than the Bmp2. 

Edited by kev2go