Marcel Bloch MB.162; the French Condor

Pony51

• Technical Moderator

One of the aircraft released with the French air force in 1.73 is the Marcel Bloch MB.162, a proposed bomber that never made it to the production line before French surrender (Germans captured and tested, before using for special missions).  

Much like the famed Fw 200 Condor, this aircraft was derived from the MB.160 mail plane airliner (during this time the emphasis was on fast premium mail delivery over fare paying passengers)

Unlike the Fw 200 the 162 was much faster and carried a far more formidable armament of 20mm cannons, however the coverage is limited (and I suspect not correct, anyone had info?).

Conversely, the bomb load is less, at 2000kg (4x 500kg) max.

Aircraft is fast, climbs like a rocket, and is surprising maneuverable for size. While it lacks punch, it has excellent chance to complete mission.

Trivial note: That javelin on nose of aircraft is actually a testing pitot tube that would not be there in production.  GJ wants to be accurate, but when dealing with prototypes plans where often destroyed, so a guesswork ensues. 

shot 2018.01.14 23.31.26.jpg

MB162 shot 2018.01.14 23.31.10.jpg

shot 2018.01.14 23.32.44.jpg

shot 2018.01.14 23.34.11.jpg

shot 2018.01.14 23.33.04.jpg

• Like 2

2000KG...is that the historical max bomb loadout for this bomber?

Should be at lower BR, same BR as the FW-200C-1.

medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Technical Moderator

Speed and climb rate are much better than the Fw-200.

BR for bombers is not only based on the bomb load.

• Technical Moderator

and the 20mm's top and bottom.

...if only they can hit something.  Have atrocious accuracy....

• 2 years later...

is it me or those 20 mm turrets have such horrible accuracy ? 

medal medal medal

But i still don't understand why are they like that ? Generally i'm good at aiming on gunners especially other 20 mm anhilator turrets such as Pe-8 BV-238 G8N1 etc. İt seems i should do a lot of practice with those hisparkos they are not like other nations' 20 mm cannon.

medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator
10 hours ago, YavruKurt147 said:

But i still don't understand why are they like that ? Generally i'm good at aiming on gunners especially other 20 mm anhilator turrets such as Pe-8 BV-238 G8N1 etc. İt seems i should do a lot of practice with those hisparkos they are not like other nations' 20 mm cannon.

Hispanos was designed to mount in V of engine and have long barrel that must be supported.  When mounted only by breech end, the barrel is too flexible and precision is greatly diminished.

MG151 and Russian cannons are far more stable and precise.  UK put a lot of effort in strengthening and supporting the barrel.

• Thanks 1

Thx for the explanation. Btw it shouldn't be forgotten that this beautiful heavy bomber is just a prototype so every weaknesses and primitive parts (turret technology and small bomb load) in this plane is understandable. For example other prototypes of most produced long range bombers most likely must've been and looked like that. 

medal medal medal

• 4 months later...
On 15/05/2020 at 04:26, Kasukaru said:

They do drop a lot, so you have to compensate for that. It's still an amazing plane.

Little late to the party. Started flying the 162 last week. Never realized how good this plane is maneuvering wise. Don’t see many flying it. A bit underrated in my opinion. Repair costs may be a hair too high, but this plane is a decent money maker, just the same. Can’t rely on its guns, that’s for sure. But with a plane that can out climb 264’s (granted with less payload) and dive even better, that’s where it’s strengths are. Used it to open up the French tree. Just need about ten more matches to get the Skyraider, then it’s on from there.  

medal medal medal

On 17/09/2020 at 04:44, KnightsCross20@psn said:

Little late to the party. Started flying the 162 last week. Never realized how good this plane is maneuvering wise. Don’t see many flying it. A bit underrated in my opinion. Repair costs may be a hair too high, but this plane is a decent money maker, just the same. Can’t rely on its guns, that’s for sure. But with a plane that can out climb 264’s (granted with less payload) and dive even better, that’s where it’s strengths are. Used it to open up the French tree. Just need about ten more matches to get the Skyraider, then it’s on from there.  

Yeah, when it gets lucky and spawns into a match where 600kg can kill a base, it does some nice damage.

medal medal medal medal medal medal