Ps. 245-4 - Finnish T-34/85 with German 75mm Stuk 40/L 48

Nuclear_Frog

Ps. 245-4  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Ps. 245-4 (T-34/85 with 75mm L48) in the game in any possible form (Regular, Premium, Gift/Special Event Vehicle)?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I dont know/ Blank

As far as enjoyable gameplay goes, the ultimate special premium would be a tank combining the German 75mm AT-gun with the T-34 chassis. Well i found out it was done IRL. Source material, including some pictures used here, comes from the book; Muikku Esa, Purhonen Jukka: Suomalaiset panssarivaunut 1918-1997 (1998), excellent jaegerplatoon.net website, anrdreaslarka.net and from Steven Zaloga.

"Due to shortage of suitable main gun ammunition in February of 1945 Finnish Army experimented in Valtion Tykkitehdas (State Artillery Factory) with installing of German 75 mm Psv.K/40 (7.5 cm StuK 40 L/48) main gun to turret of T-34/85."

"With suitable ammunition such a short supply 29th of September 1944 Finnish military approved plan of testing installing of German 75-mm Psv.K/40 (7.5 cm StuK 40 L/48) tank gun to turret of T-34/85 tank with a bushing system. This was experimented in February of 1945, but test results did not lead into any further actions other than re-equipping the particular tank (T-34/85 Ps. 245-4) with it its original gun."

But in the post-WW2 Finnish army, not too keen on experimental stuff, the project was dropped after the installations and not pursued. However this does not mean that it was a fiasco. The project was too much to pursue in larger scale without much benefits. The army knew they would have to modernize their tanks anyway, so this type of mixing of already existing material was not helping too much. The Finnish army was really not in to experimental projects. For example; there was a lot of Finnish experimental weapons, mainly hand guns etc. that where deemed as "unsuccessful" or "failure" even though they worked, but maybe had some flaws.

Besides, like we know there is many "unsuccessful" tanks and projects in the game, so this should not be a problem. 

As you can understand, any pic of this project would be very rare. We do have however pictures of the tank that was used with modified gun collar. I cant find any picture of the tank with the German gun, but since both the chassis and gun are well known for the devs it should not be a problem.

What should the BR be? etc.

In these picture is the tank; Ps. 245-4 that was used for the project, restored back to the original after that. But the different gun collar remained on it even after the project. "T-34/85 Ps. 245-4. Notice the gun collar, which is non-standard model."

T-34-85.jpg.ce75f70fd7da9130e480005af72a

T3485_2.jpg.d1e231133073d12805b273f8bcef

5a5d1657be770_guncollar.jpg.a6da6f2aef92

I think the tank should have a Finnish post war skin with the markings, and some minor changes. Like in this picture:

T-34-85_at_Parolannummi.jpg.d27d20fe3258

204556498_FinnishT-34withGerman75mmL48-S

Text: Zaloga, Steven. Tanks of Hitler's Eastern Allies. 2013.

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/TANKS6.htm

http://www.andreaslarka.net/ps245004/ps245004.html

7.5 cm StuK 40 L/48:

Calibre:

75 mm x 495 R

Barrel length:

L/48

Rate of fire:

10 - 15 shots/minute

Elevation:

Stu 40G: -6 degrees / + 20 degrees

PzKw IVJ: -8 degrees / + 20 degrees

Muzzle velocity:

440 - 920 m/sec

Magazine:

None

Max. range:

7,700 m

Optics:

Sfl. ZF. 1 (Stu 40G) / T.Z.F.5f (PzKw IVJ)

Country of origin:

Germany

Ammunition types:

HE 5750 g projectile 500 m/sec

APCBC-HE-T 6800 g 750 m/s

HEAT-T 4600 g 450 m/sec (rare) (*)

APCR-T 4100 g 920 m/sec (very rare) (*)

T-34/85:

Weight:

32.0 tons

Length:

6.10 meters (about 7.5 meters with gun)

Width:

3.00 meters

Height:

2.60 meters

Max. Speed:

55 km/h on road

25 km/h off road

Engine:

500hp V-2 12-cylinder diesel engine

Armour:

20 - 75 mm (*)

- Turret front

75 mm (*)

- Turret sides

75 mm

- Turret rear

52 mm

- Turret top

20 mm (rear) / 25 mm (front)

- Hull front

45 mm

- Hull sides

45 mm

- Hull top

20 mm

- Hull bottom

20 mm

Ground Clearance:

40.0 cm

Ground Pressure:

0.85 kg/square cm

Gradient:

35 degrees

Trench:

2.50 m

Fording:

1.3 m

Range:

250 km

Weapons:

85 mm ZiS-S-53 (L/51.5) tank gun (56 rounds)

2 x 7.62 mm DT machinegun, coaxial and hull (1.827 rounds)

Crew:

5 men

Country of Origin:

Soviet Union

Production:

1943 - 1946, total number manufactured about 23,000 tanks. (**)

Edited by Nuclear_Frog
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 14
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

This is the only "chance" to have a historical experimental t-34 with kwk 40 in the game.

The institution that made the installation of the gun was the official artillery factory of the nation. For example the KV-1B in the game was a German field installation.

Edited by Nuclear_Frog
  • Upvote 1

On 1/23/2018 at 8:30 AM, THE_EVILMAV said:

i would say it schould be a rare Prem or a  event vehicle maybe for winther or summer event because we dont have any Finnish vehicles in the game 

I know of one:  http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=KV-1B

As for this suggestion, I think this would be a good rare vehicle to add, so +1.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Monguntiacum said:

+1 As replacement for the lame copy&paste T34 Premium in german tree.

That's historically accurate though.  The Germans made entire panzer units out of captured T-34s. 

It's also not a copy-paste.  It has modifications to the turret/hull and a German cupola.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I know, but that "oh look France and US has some caputred Tigers, let us do a Premium Tiger for France and US" do a "arbitrariness", everything looks the same.

The T34 in german tree should also has Panzerschürzen, the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS modified the T34 with cupola, some small things and Schürzen.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Technical Moderator

Absolutely yes! This would make a great event or premium vehicle (I personally lean more towards premium, but eh, that's just my opinion). I could also see it fitting nicely into a 5.3 or 5.7 BR. You have my support! +1 :yes_yes_yes:

• 1 year later...

I will continue to support this vehicle, but I also think that it should now be in the Swedish tree, not the German tree as I previously said.

• Upvote 4

Ok, so i also found the project mentioned in Zaloga´s book: "Tanks of Hitler's Eastern Allies. 2013."

772701776_FinnishT-34withGerman75mmL48-S

If someone could find or scan the piece of text from the book by Esa Muikku and Jukka Purjonen: "Suomalaiset panssarivaunut 1918-1997"  "The Finnish armoured vehicles 1918-1997" (The book has both Finnish and English translations included) about this project. It talks about the shooting trials also.   

Edited by Nuclear_Frog

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

+1 Swedish tree, preferably squadron. But please not event, so many good vehicles are behind ludicrous 100€+ paywalls.

Edited by JamesJLahey
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal