120S MBT  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Should the 120S MBT be added as an American Tier 6?

• Yes
    • No
    • Add the Abrams

120s.jpg.d55483a7f2178be844d52e22d1c6180

The General Dynamics 120S is an upgrade of the M60 tank. The 120 in the designation represents the 120mm smoothbore gun and the S stands for speed and survivability. [3]

History

This combat vehicle was aimed at the export customers, especially the Turkish M60 upgrade requirement. Development of the 120S commenced in 2000 and the first prototype was revealed in 2001. This MBT was proposed to possible customers, including Turkey and Egypt, however it received no production orders. [1]

14749287453_366427d28d_m.jpg.d4f6cc64c34

General Information

The 120S main battle tank is essentially an upgraded M60 Patton series hull, fitted with complete M1A1 Abrams turret. However the 120S lacks depleted uranium armor, as used on the US Army and Marine Corps M1A1 tanks. The 120S has increased lethality and survivability, comparing with M60 Patton series tanks. [1]

The M1A1 turret has higher level of protection and is armed with a fully-stabilized M256 120-mm smoothbore gun. [1]

The M60 part of the earlier M60-2000 designation is no longer considered relevant as so much of the MBT is new. [3]

4a666b68d8012f880a0c3964e099734b--tanks.

Specifications

Country of origin United States
Entered service -
Crew 4 men
Dimensions and weight
Weight 56.2 t
Length (gun forward) 9.54 m
Hull length 6.95 m
Width 3.77 m
Height 3.25 m
Armament
Main gun 120-mm smoothbore
Machine guns 1 x 12.7-mm, 2 x 7.62-mm
Elevation range - 9 to + 20 degrees
Traverse range 360 degrees
Ammunition load
Main gun 42 rounds
Machine guns 1 000 x 12.7, 11 400 x 7.62
Mobility
Engine Continental AVDS-1790-9AR diesel
Engine power 1 200 hp
Maximum road speed 52 km/h
Range 450 km
Maneuverability
Gradient 60%
Side slope 30%
Vertical step 0.9 m
Trench 2.6 m
Fording 1.2 m

[1]

Links

[1] http://www.military-today.com/tanks/120s.htm

[2] http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product910.html

[3] https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m60-2000.htm

Note: I did not write any of the above. Please see mentioned links.

Edited by RogueMustang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 13
medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, TheFuzzieOne said:

We do not have detailed information on the Abrams turret to represent it in game accurately.

Maybe not the current version. But this is the older version pre-Depleted Uranium. It should be much less difficult to get info being that these turrets are not mounted on any active service tanks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RogueMustang said:

It should be much less difficult to get info being that these turrets are not mounted on any active service tanks.

nice meme

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

8 minutes ago, RogueMustang said:

Maybe not the current version. But this is the older version pre-Depleted Uranium. It should be much less difficult to get info being that these turrets are not mounted on any active service tanks.

It is not.

5a63b7e791f82_M48Leo2.png.75df08d74e4d51

Similarly to this thing, we don't know the armour values of these turrets.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

i'm for it eventually. someday we'll find out its dimensions.

I suspect someone already has the LoS values. However, LoS never tells the full story of a composite.

medal

26 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

uhm isnt that the M60-2000?

M60-2000 or 120S are the same tank idk which is the true designation or the name was given to the tank, but 120S is probably the given name and M60-2000 the 2000 is the year it was introduced so it should be probably a designation. But anyways, im all up for it its honestly more probably plausible to be added than a abrams the only problem is someone need to find out what version of turret is that since M60-2000 was a prototype in 2000 i suppose it should be a M1A1 turret.

Edited by NeptuneEXE
medal medal

1 minute ago, NeptuneEXE said:

M60-2000 or 120S are the same tank idk which is the true designation or the name was given to the tank, but 120S is probably the given name and M60-2000 the 2000 is the year it was introduced so it should be probably a designation. But anyways, im all up for it its honestly more probably plausible to be added than a abrams the only problem is someone need to find out what version of turret is that but since M60-2000 but since judging that this was done in 2000 i suppose it should be a M1A1 turret.

k thx

Edited by dotEXCEL
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

IF there aren't  documentations  of how much that Composite armor gives in approximate LOS equivalent values  then i'm not in favor.

Even so this a specifically export upgrade package offered specifically in mind for  Turkey,  Not USA, and ultimately nothing came of it. 

Edited by kev2go
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, NeptuneEXE said:

M60-2000 or 120S are the same tank idk which is the true designation or the name was given to the tank, but 120S is probably the given name and M60-2000 the 2000 is the year it was introduced so it should be probably a designation. But anyways, im all up for it its honestly more probably plausible to be added than a abrams the only problem is someone need to find out what version of turret is that since M60-2000 was a prototype in 2000 i suppose it should be a M1A1 turret.

Kinda Correct. The original name was M60-2000 they changed it to 120S MBT because it was to dissimilar to the M60 to share it's designation. And yes it is a M1A1 turret Pre-DU.

7 hours ago, ThunderShocker said:

I don't think this is a good idea to add the 120S MBT in the game, And my valid reasoning behind this is that I don't want them to plug in random armour values into this tank, because we all know how well that went with the M60's we have in game.

you dissin auyer and buda boi

medal

14 hours ago, Necrons31467 said:

It is not.

5a63b7e791f82_M48Leo2.png.75df08d74e4d51

Similarly to this thing, we don't know the armour values of these turrets.

afaik this was not a tank meant to see combat. They used the chassis to get the Leo2 turret around the shooting range.

We don’t know the values of the turret (the original M1A1 didn’t have DU, that was the M1A1HA and M1A1HC), and it looks like the hull has been modified as well, any info on that?

You’re more likely to get the Magach 7, Sabra, M60A3 SLEP, or M60 Phoenix in game before this thing. 

M60A3 SLEP

1 hour ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

Magach 7, Sabra, M60A3 SLEP, or M60 Phoenix in game before this thing. 

that one is easy....

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, dotEXCEL said:

M60A3 SLEP

that one is easy....

except there are some aspects that we don't know like how thick the extra armor on the hull is or how thick those side skirts are: 

1383019630_m60_tank_modernization-8.jpg

Also I don't have much confidence in Gaijin's ability to model the slat armor that surrounds the turret. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

except there are some aspects that we don't know like how thick the extra armor on the hull is or how thick those side skirts are: 

1383019630_m60_tank_modernization-8.jpg

Also I don't have much confidence in Gaijin's ability to model the slat armor that surrounds the turret. 

5 hours ago, Nope said:

you dissin auyer and buda boi

• Haha 1
medal

On 1/21/2018 at 9:36 AM, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

We don’t know the values of the turret (the original M1A1 didn’t have DU, that was the M1A1HA and M1A1HC), and it looks like the hull has been modified as well, any info on that?

You’re more likely to get the Magach 7, Sabra, M60A3 SLEP, or M60 Phoenix in game before this thing. 

You are probably correct. I was just trying to bring awareness to this vehicle.