M16 MGMC for the French tree

Alphanoodle

Please read before voting  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the M16 MGMC in the French tree as well?

• Yes, as a regular tech tree vehicle!
    • Yes, as a premium!
    • No! (explain)

During WW2 the Free French Forces got supplied with 70 US M16 MGMCs through Lend-Lease. They saw heavy usage especially during, but also after the war until the early 50s when the French finally started developing their own SPAAG. Although they only had a handful of them, they provided the necessary AA-cover for the French and served well amongst the French troops.

I'd like to suggest the addition of the M16 MGMC to the French tree because France currently doesn't have a single tier 2 SPAAG and that gap needs to be filled.

One of the haltracks of Unit 10, 1ère Batterie du 53ème Régiment d'Artillerie du 2ème Corp d'Armée, of the Free French survived the war and is the only French M16 that still exists. It is on display at Fort Casso in Rohrbach-les-Bitche (France) and can be visited at any time. 

Close up view of the vehicle and all the French markings:

The player @InFerNos1 made a highly detailed skin with all the markings and paint job of the vehicle HERE

Spoiler

adv.jpg2015-11-08_00004.jpg2015-11-08_00002.jpg2015-11-08_00003.jpgjtyBHvG.jpg

Sources:

https://warthunder.com/en/news/5269-vehicle-amx-13-dca-40-anti-air-tank-en the history section

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_M16_MGMC.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_Multiple_Gun_Motor_Carriage#Operators

https://live.warthunder.com/post/284536/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IKSIKgk3EQ

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

while i support the french vehicles to add more SPAA to fill the gap. it would said the M16 is not a interesting option for me. the M3 halftrack is a terrible platform and make the vehicles very slow and hard to handle. there is also the fact that this particular SPAA is very well know to be American. adding copy paste vehicles is not always a solution. as alternative for the tier 2 SPAA, there is the Citroen Type 45 with the oerlikon 20mm that could be used as a low tier 2 spaa or the AMX VCI with the M55 turret who use the same armament as the M16 but with the AMX 13 VCI chassis wich make it very frenchy and more maneuverable.

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator

Stop taking American vehicles to other country.

Why should I fight against American tanks with American tanks?

Edited by dotPUBLISHER
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, dotPUBLISHER said:

Ever heard of Lend-Lease? 

• Upvote 1

On 14/02/2018 at 12:35, dotPUBLISHER said:

in korea, there was a few sherman in the communist side.

Edited by CaID
  • Upvote 2

Unless there is a more logical SPAA to add in for it's BR bracket I think this is perfectly fine considering the gaps we have around the French Tree and in-fact if this isn't an amazing chance to pump out one of the cheapest SPAA's we've ever added as a premium then I have no clue what is,  that part is debatable I'm sure.

I've made threads about this before and like I've always said this can be extremely easy because it's just a re skin and slight visual modification, if needed, right? I mean of course we need to dig around for some sort of historical relevance or event so it makes it that special, unique, and historical vehicle that draws in that "Gemme gemme " mentality but that is something I think we can somehow manage to do. Right? lol

Also seeing how its such a low BR SPAA it can easily be made cheaper to reach out to alot of the F2P, and premium, players that have started and are about to start the new french tree.

Which don't forget that this idea can as well as easily produce another vehicle for collectors to add to their collection with relative ease. 

Edited by KapitanRedDead
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

There’s the AMX VCI, which is basically an APC version of the AMX-13, with the quad 12.7mm, which would be far better. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, KapitanRedDead said:

And at what BR would you say that vehicle fits fine? 

light armor,good agility, good speed, good turret speed, 4x 12.7mm in AA armament. as the armament of the AMX VCI is exactly the same as the M16, we can use it to compare. as the AMX VCI have a top speed of 60km/h on a fully armored and covered hull (which will protect the driver from the plane's LMG, and the fully tracked chassis is a lot more agile than the M3 chassis, the AMX VCI would be a bit higher BR than the M16. as the M16 MGMC is 2.3 at all mode, the AMX VCI with the M55 turret would be 2.7 or 3.0 which is the standard BR for the tier 2

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2018 at 4:34 PM, CaID said:

light armor,good agility, good speed, good turret speed, 4x 12.7mm in AA armament. as the armament of the AMX VCI is exactly the same as the M16, we can use it to compare. as the AMX VCI have a top speed of 60km/h on a fully armored and covered hull (which will protect the driver from the plane's LMG, and the fully tracked chassis is a lot more agile than the M3 chassis, the AMX VCI would be a bit higher BR than the M16. as the M16 MGMC is 2.3 at all mode, the AMX VCI with the M55 turret would be 2.7 or 3.0 which is the standard BR for the tier 2

Well the AMX is a completely beefed up version of the M16 so to be honest I really don't understand how they couldn't just push them both out while making one of them premium. Which I'll be honest I bet the AMX would sell more but again I really firmly believe that in order for a premium to be wanted it has to be unique and have that special look to it that sets it part for what else is already in game. 

So again I think this idea would work great and what I said still stands so I really think that this would be a great idea to bring into the game. 

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That's a copy paste that would literally take 30min to make and would perfectly fill the rank II SPAA gap in the french tech tree, while fitting perfectly in the french 2.3 line up with the other free french tanks such as the Crusader and the M3A3 as well as the B1s. It would also offer an alternative to the CCKW which is quite difficult to play given it ROF.

+1

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I am totally against this idea for some reasons.

The first reason is that we have already an american AAA in 3.0 and it is largely enough because nobody play it.

The second reason is that we can put a French Anti Air in the same potential BR of the M 16, so it is useless.

The third reason is that it can't bring novelty in the tech tree. It is already in American trech tree, we have already American vehicles. Why should I play this one ? If I want to play American tank I go directly play American nation, the M 16 is already in their Tech Tree.

The fourth reason is that Gaijin don't arrive to develop new really French vehicles often. If we show them that we like other nations' vehicles, it is the end of the French Tech Tree.

Not Original, already in game, we can have other true French vehicles...

NO -1

On 26/09/2020 at 11:25, Cedjoe said:

That's a copy paste that would literally take 30min to make and would perfectly fill the rank II SPAA gap in the french tech tree,

I prefer that they take more time to develop a true French vehicle.

Edited by Atomeur
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Atomeur said:

I am totally against this idea for some reasons.

The first reason is that we have already an american AAA in 3.0 and it is largely enough because nobody play it.

The second reason is that we can put a French Anti Air in the same potential BR of the M 16, so it is useless.

The third reason is that it can't bring novelty in the tech tree. It is already in American trech tree, we have lready American vehicles. Why should I pley this one ? If I want to play American tank I go directly play American nation, the M 16 is already in their Tech Tree.

The fourth reason is that Gaijin don't arrive to develop new really French vehicles often. If we show them that we like other nations' vehicles, it is the end of the French Tech Tree.

Not Original, already in game, we can have other true French vehicles...

NO -1

I prefer that they take more time to develop a true French vehicle.

They won’t sadly, we haven’t seen any new SPAA since the tree was released.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Not much info there, but this website, Char-Francais, have quit some good picture of the french M16 MGMC.

i love this one in particular.

m16_819731.jpg

maybe you could use a few of them to make it more attractive for those who read little and look more at the pics. there is clear evidence it was indeed used in those pics.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Honestly I like this idea. And there are so many "memememememe I don't want copy paste vehicles in the game memememe, I hate fighting my own vehicles, memememe it makes sim battles more confusing" Genius idea, maybe actually take it up to look to improve the issue that you already have? To improve lineups for mixing with nazi germany and post war germany, east and west germany, PRC and ROC, pre and post armistice Italy, Imperial japan and post war japan, these vehicles unfortunately mix with each other br and lineup wise, so instead of just seething at what realistic has become, why not ask for a fix to that problem altogether.