P.32 Poll  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this plane in the game?

• Yes! Gib!
    • No!

I've seen this plane discussed before but I didn't find any official suggestions for it, so I decided to make one myself!

History: 

The Piaggio P.32 was an Italian medium bomber designed in 1934.  The prototype was completed in 1936 and approved for production, with 17 being built.  In 1937 they were sent to an active squadron, however the bombers were deemed difficult to fly, underpowered, slow, and poorer-handling in the air than the BR.20 or SM.79.  12 aircraft of an improved version were built, replacing the original Isotta Fraschini Asso XI inline engines (delivering ~830 horespower) with more powerful Piaggio P.XI radial engines (delivering ~1000 horsepower).  These improved aircraft were designated Piaggio P.32 II.  The new engines improved the rate of climb but decreased range due to increased fuel consumption; in addition the increased weight of the new engines meant that these aircraft did not have any improvements in speed over the earlier models.  In 1938, the P.32s were taken out of active service and used as training aircraft.  None survived the war.

Another design, the P.32 Bis (also known as the Ca.400, as Caproni helped with the design), attempted to further improve performance by reducing the weight of the aircraft, but the prototype crashed and the project was not pursued further. 

Design: 

The P.32 was a low-wing monoplane with two engines.  It was primarily built of wood, with a glazed nose, small cockpit, twin tail, and a banana-shaped fuselage reminiscent of the Lockheed Constellation.  The aircraft had small wings for its size, which came equipped with both Handley-Page style leading edge slats and double trailing-edge flaps that provided the necessary lift for it to get off the ground.  The small wings also gave the aircraft a very high wing loading.  Its defensive armament consisted of five 7.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns, one in a nose turret and the others in retractable dorsal and ventral twin turrets.  It had a crew of six, consisting of a pilot, copilot, bombardier, nose gunner, dorsal gunner, and ventral gunner.  Maximum bombload was 1,600 kg (3,500 lbs). 

NOTE:  I have not found any information on specific bombloads for this aircraft, but given the 1,600 kg maximum, the following options seem likely:

--50 kg bomb x32

--100 kg bomb x16

--200 kg bomb x8

If anyone finds more information about bombloads, please post it below and I will add it to this post ASAP.

Conclusion: 

I think that the P.32 would be a useful addition to the Italian tech tree to provide Italy with another early heavy-ish bomber.  It is a comparable aircraft to the SM.81 and would likely receive similar tiering.  I would recommend the P.32 II model as I consider it to be the definitive version of the aircraft (it is the version that appears in nearly all photographs) and it has slightly better performance than the original design. 

Piaggio P.32 II Specifications: 

Length:  16.3m

Wingspan:  18m

Height:  5.1m

Wing Area:  60m2

Weight (empty):  6,355 kg (13,981 lbs)

Weight (takeoff):  9,355 kg (20,581 lbs)

Engines:  Two Piaggio P.XI radial engines, 1000 hp each

Maximum speed:  386 kmh (240 mph)

Range:  1,950 km (1,212 mi)

Service Ceiling:  7,250 m

Time to 5000 m:  19 min 54 sec

Crew:  6 (Pilot, Copilot, Bombardier, Nose Gunner, Dorsal Gunner, Ventral Gunner)

Armament:  Five 7.7mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns (two each in dorsal and ventral turrets, one in nose turret)

Bombload:  1,600 kg (3,500 lbs)

Pictures: 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4dcd0ce3a1b0af09847b42b8

image.png.111bc65bfcdfc12667f5da7d6ee501

image.png.e533a2cae745921a16d4450c6ab39a

image.png.014a5c9830f9f3e193d45f294d5b68

Sources: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_P.32

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1940/1940 - 1713.PDF

http://italianaircraftwwii.blogspot.com/2015/03/piaggio-p32.html

http://aviastar.org/air/italy/piaggio_p-32.php

Edited by Milocat
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, mc205v said:

This could be useful.
Instructions and rules for mounting the Piaggio P.32: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TJ8svd2yo1QdggY2VNRWU4zDcsSPL-K-

It has quite good loadouts)

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1