Plane Tracking for SPAA vehicles without Radar

PAPA_JHEY

New Mechanic for SPAA without radar  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want SPAAs without Radars have a tracking mechanic?

2. 2. Should SPAA with commanders only get access to this?

• Yes
    • No
    • I voted "No" in the first question.
  3. 3. Should it be a researchable modification?

• Yes
    • No
    • I voted "No" in the first question.

With the addition of the Radar mechanic on SPAAs with Radar, that made SPAA with no radar look like something from primitive era which is not the case in real life. There are a lot of methods invented to "accurately" determine the enemy plane's altitude etc. however in-game, it is so frustrating to hit targets especially when somethng is flying so fast or flying in an inconvenient angle that u cant really shoot it 'easily'. In this regard, I proposed that the SPAA without radars should have a mechanic that will help them shoot planes, Make Ground Forces, Great Again!. This suggestion will give tanks more chances to live and CAS will not be a sure-kill anymore, this will also make the work of SPAA vehicles more specialized. So here it is:

• SPAA vehicles without radars should be able to "Spot" planes like how light tanks can scout tanks. It should work like on the arcade battles but just without the leading reticle.

• The markers should only be shown to other SPAA vehicles and should be shown in their maps as well.

• The markers make it easy to track the planes, by pressing the "target tracking" button, the turret will follow the plane and with that, players can make aim adjustments without actually following the plane's flying path. (Ofc if someone want it the hard way, they can still just fire at it like we normally do now but at least he will have a clear sight of the plane)

This kinda simulates the work of gunners and commanders of SPAA in real life, the gunners do estimate tracking and commanders do aim corrections

• I suggest that this tracking should only work if the vehicle has a dedicated commander and he is still alive. This makes the commander a valuable crew in a SPAA vehicle.

5ad4b60747be5_shot2018_03_3115_44_04.thu

This is a potato screenshot I made in the test drive. As u can see, there is a tracker on the plane and If I press my target tracking button, my gunner will follow the plane but i am still able to move it and still the reticle still moves relative to the plane's path. This makes aiming easier, at least now, you wont compensate for the plane's movement and just focus on shooting the plane based on it's altitude and speed.

EDIT

(17/04/18)
With the current amount of negative views about this, specially for those saying that this will make the game easier. I think the tracking should now just work like on Plane battles. In Plane battles, the camera tracks the target but it is independent to your movement reticle. With this new Idea, i think it will still retain the difficulty of shooting the planes but will make it easier to track them. This will be very useful when there are a lot of targets above you and suddenly you can't see them, this is where the commander role comes in, it basically shows you where the enemy is however your gun is still in its original position.

Edited by SAUBER_KH7
Edited poll to comply with rules.
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

People say "it's easy already" yeah it's definitely true especially when it's so close. But think about this, as a spaa player, you calculate the altitude, the heading, and the speed of the target. With the tracking, you eliminate the heading and just focus on speed and altitude. Btw Read the context first, it will not be as easy as on Arcade cuz it doesnt have a leading reticle.

• Sad 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

i think it's already fairly easy to kill CAS in lower tier SPAA as it is, however the idea of having the plane appear on the mini-map is something that NEEDS to be added to the top tier SPAA being that it's a little more difficult to tell where aircraft are coming from based on sound in this patch. That all being said tho, it's not like the lead indicator is a sure fire way to kill your target in top tier SPAA, you still need to aim even further than the lead indicator shows, it more or less just gives you an idea of the direction the aircraft is headed.

Edited by BananaMod
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

to add more to this actually, rather than this being a researchable modification, i think it would work better as a crew skill for the gunner or commander of SPAA vehicles, where an increase in the skill level allows the gunner/commander to identify targets at further ranges, and to be able to more clearly identify the class of the aircraft. i personally think the modification system is kinda in need of some love as it is right now, but without adding more stuff to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, noOBKilleR said:

People say "it's easy already" yeah it's definitely true especially when it's so close. But think about this, as a spaa player, you calculate the altitude, the heading, and the speed of the target. With the tracking, you eliminate the heading and just focus on speed and altitude. Btw Read the context first, it will not be as easy as on Arcade cuz it doesnt have a leading reticle.

close or not. at 1.5km i can take down most of the plane. the plane barely can spot us at this distance. they are easily spotted and easily tracked, i often take down planes with normal tank if they are flying too strait. the leading marker in the higher tier do not change much to this. if you make the game too easy, the game will get boring. for the player that do not like to have challenger, there is arcade and it should be enough like that. realistic and simulated battle do not need it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

No, leave markers for AB - with exclusion to radar-equipped vehicles.

In RL, SPAA crew without radar could calculate the estimated shooting point only if plane is flying straight and in some distance. If the plane is circling like mad just above you - no chance, no man could calculate anything. You can rely only on the aimers skills and training (and fire density, but that's the different subject). Which is what we have now.

In fact, that's not that hard to hit a low flying plane in RB/SB mode, having some (again) skill and training.

medal medal

• 1 year later...

I further add to this suggestion by mentioning that many non-radar equipped SPAAs were equipped with mechanical analog computers which could track most subsonic aircraft. The M42 Duster and ZSU-57-2 are two in-game vehicles that use these systems in absence of a radar which could benefit from this suggestion,

medal medal medal

• 10 months later...

It is implemented for ships but not for SPAA

In naval battles, you can't disable the tracking IIRC

In ground battle, the key that allow you to enable tracking has to be presses continuously (no toggle)

Edited by ALIEN109
medal medal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the ability for SPAA to track aircraft visually has been previously added,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions. :salute: