T.Flight Hotas One (now supported on Xbox Series S|X)

Best answer

Looks good! I'm going to program my T-Flight One to these bindings. One thing though, can you bind the YAW control to the rudder bar? I like my twist handle to be locked and either way I would rather have the zoom axis on the twist stick. And now I'm wondering how the rudder pedals would work with War Thunder. At another $80 to $100 for the rudder pedals they would have to provide an advantage.

On 29/09/2018 at 22:23, Steiner1 said:

Looks good! I'm going to program my T-Flight One to these bindings. One thing though, can you bind the YAW control to the rudder bar? I like my twist handle to be locked and either way I would rather have the zoom axis on the twist stick. And now I'm wondering how the rudder pedals would work with War Thunder. At another $80 to $100 for the rudder pedals they would have to provide an advantage.

You could swap the axis over no problem the tilt bar on the throttle could be set up as yaw and main axis twist for zoom axis (just a case of mapping to your needs).

ref the pedals - I like the idea I assume you’ll then need a dedicated chair/desk for comfort and setup. I’m limited to my lounge and my wife’s not keen on me taking it over with a dedicated ‘cockpit’ setup!

I’d really like to set something up like this guy on YouTube:

Shame the Xbox isn’t VR compatible...

medal medal medal medal

Dumb Ace question here. I just started playing WT and loving it so far. If I where to buy this can I setup my game in such a way that I use the HOTAS for planes but still use the controller (or eventually Mouse/Keyboard once WT supports it) for tanks and naval without having to edit the settings each time?

Edited by Player1S

On 02/10/2018 at 08:26, Player1S said:

Dumb Ace question here. I just started playing WT and loving it so far. If I where to buy this can I setup my game in such a way that I use the HOTAS for planes but still use the controller (or eventually Mouse/Keyboard once WT supports it) for tanks and naval without having to edit the settings each time?

Unfortunately not - in terms of -  all of the axis and button settings will be bound to how you have it set up for the Hotas.

However you can have additional controllers running at the same time (even mapped to the same actions).

You can have both the standard Xbox controller as Controller1 Hotas as Controller2 running at the same time to extend to more buttons etc.

I’m willing to bet you can even map to another Controller3 ???

so long as you start them all up and it knows which one is which I reckon this is a potential workaround? 

I’ll give it a go and attempt to report back tomorrow...

So it looks like there’s only 2 controllers available to map to. Ctrl1 and Ctrl2 (despite having another one switched on)

this said I was setting up my std Xbox controller on tanks completely independently from the Air settings whilst having the Hotas plugged in at the it he same time.

Edited by RogueStarONE@live
medal medal medal medal

43 minutes ago, J4v4m4N said:

Hi RogueStarONE,

How do you configure the "look around" using the hats switch?

Thanks in advance.

You’ll have to unbind the existing inputs then select max and min settings for both left & right from the Hat switched (same for up & down) note the 0% relative control and critically (I think) reset view to bring it back.

Because it’s set digitally to the Hat switch you’re also able to add the Xbox standard controller to have more of a smooth analogue input for when you’re ‘show boating’.

hope the pictures here? help - see attached...

DC2C1C3B-70CD-4F79-9AA1-06A66C88B89A.png

C6856217-189F-422B-93C8-CA2AB9C05E03.png

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

@RogueStarOne have you by chance made a full tutorial video of how to create this whole setup? I know you have quite a few comments and images in here, but because I've never used any kind of joystick before and being that war thunder isn't the most friendly game when it comes to control mapping, I feel like a full video would be real nice if that's at all possible. If not I'm sure I can eventually figure it all out but I though I'd at least ask.

9 hours ago, ElctroCobrie said:

have you by chance made a full tutorial video of how to create this whole setup?

Hi there - yep I’ve been thinking of creating a tutorial for a while. It comes down to how and where to post.  Hopefully the pics in this post are helpful enough?

The XboxONE capture method is limited and is clunky to edit and then post to YouTube etc (good for sharing on XbLive though).

I’m looking into getting an Elgato HD capture device but I’m fairly sure I won’t be able to post to XbLive??? (anyone know??). This said it will be simple to post and link to YouTube right?

Depends how much appetite and demand people want???

It would be great if we were able to create videos the same way that PC players are able to. At the moment XB players can only screen capture.

medal medal medal medal

@RogueStarOne If it is of any help something you could do and would make it A LOT easier would be if you run a twitch stream record the whole thing (all done easily from the xbox), mistakes and all, then save the video to a computer by going to the desktop website for twitch, logging into the profile you used on the Xbox then click your icon in the top right corner, Video Producer, then on the left, click on Clips, click the video you want, click the View on Clips Page, button above the video, then Download just above and to the right of that video screen, and finally right click on that video that will open and click Save Video As... which will then allow you to save the video. Then just take the video to MovieMaker program from the "windows essentials" program kit. If you don't have the Essentials kit you can easily find it here for free. Then it's off to posting to YouTube. The only restriction being it can't be longer than 15 minute videos so you may have to do a few part videos for all of it. It's how I've done all my work before and it works real well. And is far less clunky than the way Xbox wants you to do it.

If this method peaks your interest, and you have any questions let me know and I can PM you with any information you need. It looks far more complicated on paper, or in this case comment box, than it is. I can usually crank stuff of this magnitude out in a less than half a day, if that long. So a novice shouldn't take more than a day's work.

Plus, there's not one video out yet for a "War Thunder: Hotas One JS Configuration" yet so being as the popularity and sells of the Joystick are greater than the joystick can be produced, and the amount of people asking if War Thunder supports it over on amazon, I can Only imagine the amount of hype the video would get. Heck I would probably link it in my review so as to help those people asking for it. 

Edited by ElctroCobrie
Changed link to direct to right place.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your help with the Twitch system ElctroCobrie - plan to have this video finally sorted very soon! Loads of excuses my end - more recently sore throat that would sound terrible on the commentary...

I see a lot of comments about control method issues - I can honestly say it is worth considering investing in a flight stick (New or old "360 style").

More recently I've test flown the helicopters with my stick and thoroughly enjoyed it (great job by the guys at Gaijin).
Need to work out how to progress to earn access to the choppers properly!

medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Xbox HOTAS Video update! - Finally got round to sorting the tutorial out!!!

Seriously - this would make a great gift for the holidays - I would seriously recommend getting one

Please refer to both the videos from YouTube below and Layout pic below:

WT Hotas ONE RogueStarONE.jpg

https://sway.office.com/joI2XAmCntJEGsa6

Also please refer to Sgt Quinns War Thunder Players Club (on the Xbox App) and companion website (see link above) for this and many other valuable controller setups!

I would seriously recommend joining the WT Players Club - a great resource for community advice, video and screenshot captures and general help!!!

Feel free to check out my channel on YouTube searching for dlttp (WT video captures + aviation stuff)

Feedback / questions welcome - drop me a line......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Ok so I spent hours mapping the HOTAS, which all works fine, but then my standard controller needed a lot of changes too, to be able to used in tanks, but I got there. Now, when I'm playing tanks I'll play two or three games, and without reason, all of the controller one (standard Xbox) controller settings switch to the HOTAS defaults, and I spawn into a game and have no control. Every single time, the entire set of controls switches to the HOTAS. I do see the pop up in the hangar about the HOTAS has been detected and do I want to set defaults, and always click no, but this keeps happening, and is now ruining my GF games! 

Has as anyone else had this issue? Any help would be welcome, as currently this is wrecking the game for me. Thanks guys. 

• 2 weeks later...

I Sometimes have issues where the HOTAS resets to the default Gaijin setup and then have to run back through my video tutorial(s).
Most annoying - glad I spent the time to document my settings.

However I also lost the Chopper flight settings and I need to rely on my memory to how I like it...
I'm almost certain it's got something to do with the message at the main menu asking if you want to change to default hotas settings (It KEEPS coming back despite NO or Close)

We need a method of saving and recalling Custom control setups similar to the PC guys...

medal medal medal medal

In regards to the reset of flight controls, I let the annoying message go away on its own (reappears any time I preview a vehicle) or click the X. Since I’ve been doing either of those I have not had my controls be reset. 

• Like 1

In the end I ended up unplugging the HOTAS stick and now at least my tank settings on the standard controller are safe, it doesn't reset to defaults unless it's plugged in. When I have time I will try again and photo the settings to save all the hassle. Such a shame having spent the money on a controller that Gaijin said was "fully supported" to find out it's bugged so badly. :zlo:

Thanks again for the videos man, they're very good :good:

• Like 1

I setup my Hotas per RogueStarOne video, love it and bought the pedals as well. Does anyone know of a way to remove the Yaw from the joystick? You can assign the pedals to Yaw with auto detect but it always remaps the stick at the same time. I thought there was a way to remove the twist (yaw) from the Joystick via a lock out screw but no joy.

• Like 1

Great vids RogueStarOne! Very helpful indeed, thank you. :)

Cool, got my stick today! Finally another xbox joystick after several years without one. I used almost all your settings and the stick works nicely, there is much more intuitive control now (if you’re a pilot, anyway ;) ).

Thanks again!

Edited by PiwiKiwi1967
Update
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys - steep learning curve for the Hotas One and general flight stick aiming (Xbox360 Stick + Brooke converter)...
Aiming through settings can be better achieved by studying your performance in test flights...

Take a look at this video for some inspiration :

And here's a Demo I did Earlier (still tweaking to suit my Spit)
Be aware you may need to dial in different Nonlinearity / Multiplier / Sensitivity to suit each aircraft! (START a Log NOW!)

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal

I spent a couple days tinkering with the helicopter controls and finally came up with a setup that I'm comfortable with. For me I have to have the helicopter controls on realistic and I can't imagine how anyone can fly them with the pointer aim, there's just too much maneuverability you're losing with pointer aim. There's still some things that I'm tinkering with here and there as I refine my setup but this so far has been doing me pretty good. I've been getting roughly middle of the leaderboard with the AH-1G and this control setup. Let me know what ya'll think and what improvements I can make.

And here's also a game clip of how I'm flying with a couple kills: https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/dragonsoulkin/video/66542632

WarThunder Helicopter Controls.png

Oh and for anyone that wants a printout or something to write their control schematics down for reference, I made this when the HOTAS first came out on xbox for Elite Dangerous. I cleared out all the Elite keys so anyone can just copy this to their computer and print it out or fill in whatever.

Default Map.jpg

Edited by Guest
Forgot a pic

Has anyone had issues with phantom control inputs on the pitch setting for the Hotas? Occasionally mine decides to act like I am pushing the stick forward while I have it in the neutral position. It even moves the mouse cursor on the hangar screen, and it makes flying a constant battle against occasional and inconsistent phantom inputs.

• gromvoiny changed the title to T.Flight Hotas One (now supported on Xbox Series S|X)