AGM-114 Hellfire for AH-1Z

Cpt_High_Ground

DISCLAIMER: I'm by no means a military expert so feel free to correct me in the comments! And also sorry if my English is bad I'm German.

Since the current model of the AH-1Z, a 2010 helicopter, is using the old TOW and TOW-2 wire-guided ATGMs, which it never used in real life, I would suggest to give it the AGM-114 Hellfire missile(any version except the AGM-114L which to my knowledge is the only fire and forget version). Compared to the TOW-2 the AGM-114 Hellfire has less penetration but, due to it's stronger rocket motor it moves quite a bit faster and has more explosive mass(8kg on the AGM-114A) and because of it's SALH guidance it's also more accurate and it has a longer range. It could also be mounted in a configuration of 16 missiles. In the end they would basically be slightly slower Atakas but with more explosive mass and maybe a bit more accuracy and range. So please give your opinion about this topic in the comments. 

Have a wonderful day! ;)

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal

15 hours ago, Cpt_High_Ground said:

any version except the AGM-114L which to my knowledge is the only fire and forget version

Well, well, well, looks like Naval Air Systems Command grants you a wish today - the AH-1Z can fire six versions of Hellfire, none of which are the AGM-114L.

EpCz6Wy.png

Anyway, that aside, the spoiler below contains excerpts from US Army field manuals and after-action reports which detail the capabilities of the Hellfire, but none contain penetration values - those are, alas, still very much classified by the US Department of Defense.

Spoiler

cK96O9U.png

gKdQaEn.png

ayBTLeg.png

5d3SemF.png

49FyRi5.png

Free Bonus! Current War Thunder TOW 2 vs Real TOW 2 vs Real Hellfire!

J086MMR.png

In summary:

• Missile mass of 45 kg
  • 7.7 kg of explosives in the warhead 
  • Minimum range of 150-300m
  • Maximum range of 7 km when locked on before launch (LOBL)
  • Max range of 8 km when locked on after launch (LOAL)
  • Motor has likely burned out by 14 seconds of flight time
  • Launch acceleration of 10g, takes ~4.5 seconds to reach maximum velocity
  • Max flight velocity of 424 m/s
  • 7 seconds to reach 2km range, 14 seconds to 4 km range, 24 seconds to 6 km range, 36 seconds to absolute maximum range (under standardised conditions)

And the warhead on the AGM-114A/B/C is estimated as having RHAe penetration in the 850-900mm range, increasing to more than 1000mm in later versions.

Edited by joshwagstaff13
Reworded something for clarification
medal medal

39 minutes ago, joshwagstaff13 said:

And the warhead on the AGM-114A/B/C is estimated as having RHAe penetration in the 850-900mm range, increasing to more than 1000mm in later versions.

Because of that I think the A/B/C variant of the Hellfire would be best suited for the helicopters current state. Because giving the 1000mm+ pen versions to the Viper would strike an imbalance between the

Soviet/Russian and the American factions with these 1000mm+ pen AGMs the Viper would better in every important way except for the stock grind(due to better unguided rockets on the Mi-35M) but giving it the A/B/C Hellfires would in my mind create a balanced situation where both the Viper and the Mi-35M have their appeals.

medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As AGM-114 Hellfires have been added to the AH-1Z in update 1.85,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions.:salute: