English Electric Lightning F.6

pieve

First British supersonic of the Cold War  

202 members have voted

1. 1. what battle rating should it be?

2. 2. hould Lightning be added after Hawker Hunter?

• Yes, right after Hawker Hunter
    • No, another line should be added

https://www.absolutviajes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/bandera-de-inglaterra-300x181.jpg.

British

Electric Lightning F.6

xTIuizm.png

The English Electric Lightning is a service that served as an interceptor during the 1960s and 1970s. The Lightning was designed, developed and manufactured by English Electric, which was recently replaced by the newly formed British Aircraft Corporation. Later, the type was marketed as BAC Lightning.

English_Electric_Lightning_P.1_P.1A.svg

The two research aircraft P.1

eY3BctW.jpg

English Electric P.1 (P.1A) WG763 - prototype of Lightning Mach 2 fighter-interceptor - RAF Boscombe Down, England, mid-1950s..

A "Pioneer" of British Aircraft reaction

In April 1950 English Electric was assigned the task of fibricing the P.1 test aircraft as Britain's first supersonic model and between 1954 and 1967 six aircraft actively participated in the flight test program. The Royal Air Force later had to face the need for an advanced interceptor, and P.1 adapted very well to this mission under the name of Lightning, who flew for the first time in 1958.

li2-English-Electric-Lightning-F1.jpg

Spoiler

Lightning_01.jpg

The pre-production aircraft followed the Lightning FMK.1 which entered service in June 1960. This model had a limited flight autonomy and a pursuit radar to be used with the limited air-to-air weaponry of the same, but by On the other side the Lightning was very fast and had a really extraordinary ascending speed, these being two very desirable performances in an interceptor

16856089717_663f338bef_b.jpg

RAF English Electric Lightning F6. 11 Squadron. RAF Luqa, Malta November, 1970. Exercise Lime Jug. 11 Squadron deployed 8 Lightnings from RAF Leuchars.

english-electric-lightning-f-1-74-squadr

The eyes of the world were watching as 74 Squadron showed off its immaculate Lightning F1s coltishall during an official photo shoot.

rs11520_xp695-ee-lightning-f-3-raf-stmaw

uEFhgwo.jpg

Capacity Maximization

Within the relatively strict limitations imposed by the basic design which were originally an imposition for a test airplane rather than operational, although the latter had been considered in the planning phase, Lightning was continually modernized with better radar and more advanced weaponry , and in its latest version received an expected increase in autonomy with the adoption of a ventral fuel tank that could also carry a pair of 30mm Aden guns to improve the firepower in close combat.

WZ3tLx8tp_6UPb-_Z0GWyFYpXo9l7t6epo1TjKPI

Full afferburners are lit on Lighning F1 XM145 of 74 Squadron during a graund-run test at colttishall in 1960. Note that the jet does not have a ventral fuel tank. Giving this early examples of the fighter a flight time of only around 40 minutes.

tumblr_n4ubylApaz1shlze2o1_1280.jpg

Total production reached 338 aircraft including export models that could carry armaments on the wing and responsibility for this model, which was definitively withdrawn from service in mid-1988, passed successively to British Aircraft Corporation and Britsh Aerospace.
wepon%20packs.jpgpylon%20wepons.jpg

74-sqn-co_l.jpg

Major Versions and Variants:

Lightning F.Mk.1 (Initial interceptor), Lightning F.Mk.1A (28 of improved Mk.1 with refueling capability in flight), Lightning F.Mk.2 (44 with varying reheating) Lightning F.Mk.2A (31 conversions with a much higher capacity), Lightning F.Mk.3 (seventy new airplanes and a definitive fighter conversion with superior power and fuel, collision trajectory interception capacity, but no cannon), Lightning F.Mk. 3A (sixteen new airplanes and one conversion to revised F.Mk.3), Lightning T.Mk.4 (22 coaches based on F.Mk.1A) Lightning T.Mk.5 (22 coaches based on F.Mk.3 ), Lightning F.Mk.6 (39 new airplanes and 25 conversions with a revised wing with a curved, warped, plus fuel and reinstalled leading edge) and Lightning F.Mk.52 (five F.Mk.2 converted to Saudi Arabia), Lightning F.Mk.53 (multi-export model covers 35 and 12 aircraft to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, respectively), Lightning TF.Mk.54 (two conversions T.Mk.4 for Saudi Arabia) and Lightning T.Mk.55 (export training model delivered on seven and six airplanes to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, respectively).

Although its autonomy and its range of action were limited, the Lightning fired prodigious results in the so important ascensional speed

XS927.jpg

English_Electric_Lightning.gif

Lightning-Thunder-lg.jpg

Specifications (Lightning F.6)

Spoiler

1000px-BAC_Lightning_F_Mk.6_silhouette_n

Crew: one
    Length: 55 ft 3 in (16.8 m)
    Wingspan: 34 ft 10 in (10.6 m)
    Height: 19 ft 7 in (5.97 m)
    Wing area: 474.5 ft² (44.08 m²)
    Empty weight: 31,068 lb [nb 12] (14,092 kg)
    Max. takeoff weight: 45,750 lb[33][nb 13] (20,752 kg)
    Powerplant: 2 × Rolls-Royce Avon 301R afterburning turbojets
    Dry thrust: 12,530 lbf (55.74 kN) each
    Thrust with afterburner: 16,000 lbf[32] (71.17 kN) each

Performance:

Maximum speed: Mach 2.0 (1,300 mph, 2,100 km/h) at 36,000 ft. 700 KIAS at lower altitude [nb 14]
    Range: 850 mi [nb 15] (1,370 km) Supersonic intercept radius: 155 mi [nb 16] (250 km)
    Ferry range: 920 mi (800 NM,1,660 km) 1,270 mi (1,100 NM, 2,040 km) with ferry tanks
    Service ceiling: 54,000 ft[54] (16,000 m) zoom ceiling >70,000 ft [170]
    Rate of climb: 20,000 ft/min [nb 17] (100 m/s)
    Wing loading: 76 lb/ft²[nb 18] (370 kg/m²)
    Thrust/weight: 0.78

Armament: Guns: 2× 30mm (1.18 in) ADEN cannon
 Hardpoints: 2 × under-fuselage for mounting air-to-air missiles, 2 × overwing pylon stations for 260 gal ferry tanks  and provisions to carry combinations of:
 Missiles: 2 De Havilland Firestreak or 2 × Hawker Siddeley Red To

source:

Edited by pieve
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, Mercedes4321 said:

That top speed means that its probably going to be a while before we can really see something like this

If we analyze right, not much, this is a question of one or two actualization so that we have these aircraft

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Not sure about those stats - I have a number of sources putting its initial climb at 50,000 ft/min (which seems about right for an aircraft with a thrust:weight ratio of ~1:1) and its top speed at 1,500 mph at 40.000 ft

I'd love to see the Lightning, but IMO it would need to be with its historical 'peers' (F-4, MiG-21bis, Mirage III & 5)

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

+1

Are you suggesting the F.6 specifically? I was thinking of doing the F.1 and F.2  

Yes, I made Lightning F.6 because it was the best improvement of it, it received a tank of fuel in the ventral greater for greater reach, It presented new wings with better efficiency and subsonic performance, had a better radar also, a better weaponry ...

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, pieve said:
Yes, I made Lightning F.6 because it was the best improvement of it, it received a tank of fuel in the ventral greater for greater reach, It presented new wings with better efficiency and subsonic performance, had a better radar also, a better weaponry ...

Why not both F.1/2 and F.6?

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/12/2018 at 05:06, Wogmidget said:

Why not both F.1/2 and F.6?

I'm doing them

On 26/12/2018 at 04:19, Aquilachrysaetos said:

So which variant are you suggesting? Judging by your listed specs, the F.6?

I asked the same question, he answered the F.6 

• Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/01/2019 at 06:23, _Gl1tchyTech02_ said:

Id do F.1 as would be the lowest Br version and thus most likely to make it in game at current point (with MiG-19 etc...). Could extend tech tree later to accomodate the F. 6 when MiG 21 added or F-4 for example.

Even the F.1 would completely kick the **** out of the current tier VI duo 

• 4 weeks later...

I really wish this plane was added to balance the sonic jets they add F100, Mig19   then the javelin so why can't the F6 Lightning be added whats it really going to unbalance.  its just going to have more speed less manoeuvrability and a chance.    just to many crying kids not wanting something to be added because they are having enough fun beating the crap out of a nation unbalanced.   sad times man  :facepalm:

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Well japan just got the Mitsubishi T-2 announced... We're not in a position just yet that we can justify the Lightning F6, the Lightning F1. however is now only marginally faster than what is about to become by a wide margin the fastest plane in game.

13 hours ago, Fa11enPhoenix said:

Well japan just got the Mitsubishi T-2 announced... We're not in a position just yet that we can justify the Lightning F6, the Lightning F1. however is now only marginally faster than what is about to become by a wide margin the fastest plane in game.

Correct me if im wrong but all versions of the English electric go past mach 2. 0.4 mach is more than marginally faster.

medal medal medal medal medal

25 minutes ago, *oppsijustkilledu said:

Correct me if im wrong but all versions of the English electric go past mach 2. 0.4 mach is more than marginally faster.

Unfortunately the UK pretty much jumped from just barely Mach 1 to past Mach 2 with their fighters.  The only ways for the Lightning F.6 to be even remotely balanced against current stuff is that it would have laughably short range at full throttle (at least without the over-wing drop tanks, which would also cut the missile payload from 4 down to 2) along with probably being outmaneuvered by its slower adversaries.

Edited by Z3r0_
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Z3r0_ said:

Unfortunately the UK pretty much jumped from just barely Mach 1 to past Mach 2 with their fighters.  The only ways for the Lightning F.6 to be even remotely balanced against current stuff is that it would have laughably short range at full throttle (at least without the over-wing drop tanks, which would also cut the missile payload from 4 down to 2) along with probably being outmaneuvered by its slower adversaries.

I think that when the lightning is implemented the range will be cut horrendously, just like the real thing! I think though that is enough to balance it in some retrospect, at least until Gaijiggles start implementing crazy stuff like the F-4 and MiG-21 :016:

medal medal medal

6 hours ago, *oppsijustkilledu said:

The F.1 was limited to Mach 1.7 so it would be a smaller jump than the one they just made by introducing the T2.  It wasn't until the F.3 came along that the Lightning was rated to Mach 2+. The Lightning nolonger offers a vast leap in capabilities over vehicles already, or rather soon to be in game. 

5 hours ago, Z3r0_ said:

at least without the over-wing drop tanks, which would also cut the missile payload from 4 down to 2) 

The Lightning could only carry 2 Firestreaks/RedTops regardless of whether it was carrying the over wing tanks or not.

Edited by Fa11enPhoenix

• Suggestion Moderator

I mean the lightning is to advanced RN how about the SEPECAT Jaguar.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TerikG2014 said:

I mean the lightning is to advanced RN how about the SEPECAT Jaguar.

Before the T2 was announced I'd have said no, now yeah why not.... We already have mid 70's jets lining up to club mid 50's jets so what difference does it make now.

Neither the F-1/T-2 or Jag had much to offer in the air to air role historically but the speed advantage they have against in game opposition  basically allows them to pick and choose their fights.

23 hours ago, Fa11enPhoenix said:

Before the T2 was announced I'd have said no, now yeah why not.... We already have mid 70's jets lining up to club mid 50's jets so what difference does it make now.

Neither the F-1/T-2 or Jag had much to offer in the air to air role historically but the speed advantage they have against in game opposition  basically allows them to pick and choose their fights.

In testing on the dev server, the T-2 can only barely reach its alleged top speed in a dive (this isn't a unique problem to the T-2, mind you), and like a couple of other planes in the game (like the La-15), you run the risk of ripping your wings off if you try.  Otherwise it's about as fast as the other rank 6s at best.  Where it excels compared to the F-100 and MiG-19s is maneuverability.

On 02/03/2019 at 07:23, Fa11enPhoenix said:

The F.1 was limited to Mach 1.7 so it would be a smaller jump than the one they just made by introducing the T2.  It wasn't until the F.3 came along that the Lightning was rated to Mach 2+. The Lightning nolonger offers a vast leap in capabilities over vehicles already, or rather soon to be in game. 

The Lightning could only carry 2 Firestreaks/RedTops regardless of whether it was carrying the over wing tanks or not.

iirc it could carry another pair of Firestreaks if the drop tanks were omitted (again, at the cost of giving it an extremely short range), or at least that's what Wikipedia says.

Regarding the speed differences of different models...I actually would be fine with the F.1, considering that it does have a speed advantage but not to the point of not being balanced by everything else.  I'm just a bit iffy about the later variants for now.

Edited by Z3r0_
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, Z3r0_ said:

iirc it could carry another pair of Firestreaks if the drop tanks were omitted (again, at the cost of giving it an extremely short range), or at least that's what Wikipedia says.

Regarding the speed differences of different models...I actually would be fine with the F.1, considering that it does have a speed advantage but not to the point of not being balanced by everything else.  I'm just a bit iffy about the later variants for now.

Wiki does appear to say that however its more down to bad editing of the article, looks as though there is a section missing since the author has set up a single item bullet point list. If not bad editing its just factually wrong.

In RAF service the only thing the over wing pylons could carry was tanks. In Saudi/Kuwait service the F.6 derived F.53's expanded this to rocket pods and tanks, they also had a pair of outboard under-wing pylons capable of carrying more rockets or 1000 lb bombs. there were also options of swapping out the missile support pack for a pair of additional guns (F.2 only) or retractable rocket packs However no Lightning of any mark could carry more than two Firestreaks/RedTops in any configuration.

F.1/2 should be fine for now based on the performance of the Mitsubishi, F.6 once Mirages, MiG-21's and F-104s show up.... The F.3 had no guns so I'd rather not see it at all.

Edited by Fa11enPhoenix