The Super Etendard: infamous for its enemies

Trotrodor

Super Etendard  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Super Etendard

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What Br do you think the super Etendard should have

3. 3. Dou you like the idea of it being equipped with Exocet Missile in Naval battle ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not now

Super Étendard

03-360-degres-autour-super-etendard-64-m

The Dassault Super-Étendard, is a french navy fighter/attack aircraft made to be able to be launch from french aircraft carrier.
Made to replace the french Etendard IVM and the F8 crusader, it was choosed over the first proposed Jaguar M (a franco-english navalize version of the Jaguar).
The Super Etendard is powered by an Atar 8K50 none afterburning engine and is equipped with a new Agave radar optimize for Air to Sea combat and made to be equipped with mordern weapon such as the AM-39 Exocet Missile.
The first prototype made it's first flight in 1974, while the first series aircraft made it's first flight in 1977.
It formaly enter service with the french army in 1978 on the aircraft carrier Clémenceau and Foch and latter on the Charles de Gaulle, and enter service with the Argentinian army in 1981.
Even tho it was specialize to do Air to sea mission it was also able to do ground attack, fire support, air combat, recon and even nuclear attack.
The Super Etendard is well know for it's services with the french army but also with Argentina where it acquiere his infamous status with it's Exocet missile.

Why the Super Etendard :
The Super etendard could play a big role as a support aircraft for ground battle but also and probably most interestingly in naval battle. It is also able to defend itself with it's two 30 mm DEFA canon and it's two Matra Magic heat seeking missiles.

Specification :
General characteristics

Crew: 1 pilot
    Length: 14.31 m (45 ft 11½ in)
    Wingspan: 9.60 m (31 ft 6 in)
    Height: 3.86 m (12 ft 8 in)
    Wing area: 28.4 m² (306.7 ft²)
    Empty weight: 6,500 kg (14,330 lb)
    Max. takeoff weight: 12,000 kg (26,455 lb)
    Powerplant: 1 × Snecma Atar 8K-50 turbojet, 49.0 kN (11,025 lbf)

Performance

Maximum speed: 1203 km/h (651 knots, 749 mph)
    Range: 1,820 km (983 nmi, 1,130 mi)
    Combat radius: 850 km (460 nmi, 530 mi) with one AM39 Exocet missile one wing pylon and one drop tank on opposite pylon, hi-lo-hi profile
    Service ceiling: 13,700 m (44,900 ft)
    Rate of climb: 100 m/s (19,700 ft/min)
    Wing loading: 423 kg/m² (86.3 lb/ft²)
    Thrust/weight: 0.42

Armament

Guns: 2× 30 mm (1.18 in) DEFA 552 cannons with 125 rounds per gun
    Hardpoints: 4× underwing and 2× under-fuselage with a capacity of 2,100 kg (4,600 lb) maximum
    Rockets: 4× Matra rocket pods with 18× SNEB 68 mm rockets each
    Missiles:
        1× AM-39 Exocet Anti-shipping missile or
        1× Air-Sol Moyenne Portée nuclear armed missile or
        2× AS-30L or
        2× Matra Magic Air-to-air missile
    Bombs: Conventional unguided or laser-guided bombs, provision for 1 × AN-52 free-fall nuclear bomb, provision for "buddy" air refuelling pod.

French navy testing the Exocet :

Spoiler

Sources :

Edited by Trotrodor
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 16
medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

very nice indead !!

• Confused 1

So, my problem here, is that I read that the Super Étendard could reach 1550 km/h, the website of Dassault mentions 1420 km/h, and the english Wiki says 1200 km/h. I'm curious which one is the right one. Maybe that's a difference between the original and the Modernisé version ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
medal medal medal medal

28 minutes ago, Arghail said:

So, my problem here, is that I read that the Super Étendard could reach 1550 km/h, the website of Dassault mentions 1420 km/h, and the english Wiki says 1200 km/h. I'm curious which one is the right one. Maybe that's a difference between the original and the Modernisé version ?

As it is written in the manual of @dotEXCEL, the plane maximum speed in mach is 1.3, the manuel also says that the plane has no trouble reaching that speed. However it also say that the maximum speed in a steep dive is 650 Kt (which I translate for Knots and so 1203 km/H).

So I assume (but i'm not sure on that), that the maximum airspeed it can reach is 1203 km/H, but at high alt this refer to 1.3 mach).

Edited by Trotrodor
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

On 05/01/2019 at 12:42, Trotrodor said:

As it is written in the manual of @dotEXCEL, the plane maximum speed in mach is 1.3, the manuel also says that the plane has no trouble reaching that speed. However it also say that the maximum speed in a steep dive is 650 Kt (which I translate for Knots and so 1203 km/H).

So I assume (but i'm not sure on that), that the maximum airspeed it can reach is 1203 km/H, but at high alt this refer to 1.3 mach).

interesting. just under MACH 1 at likely just above sea level but MACH 1.3 at high altitude puts it it a good spot vs the MiG-19PT and F-100D. i can +1 this.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

interesting. just under MACH 1 at likely just above sea level but MACH 1.3 at high altitude puts it it a good spot vs the MiG-19PT and F-100D. i can +1 this.

Yeah, and with the 100m/s climb, it's better than a f100.

• Confused 1

On 10/01/2019 at 11:34, Trotrodor said:

Yeah, and with the 100m/s climb, it's better than a f100.

but worse than the Mig-19

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

but worse than the Mig-19

the f100 seems to do quite well with the mig 19 right now ;D

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Trotrodor said:

the f100 seems to do quite well with the mig 19 right now ;D

ik, dont take it as a negative point... i meant it would fit the current meta

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, dotEXCEL said:

ik, dont take it as a negative point... i meant it would fit the current meta

no yeah of course ;)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Salut,

Pour le OP: si tu regardes la page wiki : 

Vitesse maximale 1 560 km/h (Mach 1,3)

faudrait peut-etre changer quelque-chose dans tes specifications.

Otherwise I am surprised this has not been forwarded yet. Honestly prefer this plane to Jaguar. Beautiful-looking plane.

Edited by Functor
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Senior Forum Moderator

I’d love to see this one in game, alongside with the Jaguar to complete the modern line up. The dream :wub:

Mon image

I also would like to have this skin, buyable by GE in game or in a box on the market :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

With the new Mach 2 planes announced for next update, this would be a great 9.3 aircraft for the french, a bit better than a SMB2 or F86K but not that much, I would love to see it in game soon

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Z3r0_ said:

France is going to need some supersonic planes to keep up with the F-4 and MiG-21/J-7.  Stuff like this and the Mirage III should help with that.

The Super Etendard might keep up with the F-4 in the maneuverability department but it would struggle overall due to the massive performance gap between the Etendards and the F-4 even when you factor in the gunpods, tho it will definitely keep with the supersonics that are already in game and it will give the French more variety in terms for playstyle and in CAS

The Mirage III on the other hand might dominate the F-4C since the performance between the two aircraft are very similar however unlike the F-4C which has no built in guns making it rely on gunpods, rocket pods, AAM's or a combination of the 3 for offensive armaments, in effect causes a lot of drag and the performance of the F-4C suffers as a result. The Mirage III on the otherhand tho having significantly less rounds than the F-4C's cannonpods but still has more than twice as much ammo as the J-7's the Mirage's uses 2 DEFA's and it's built into the aircraft and also the Mirage III is significantly lighter than the F-4.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

• Like 4