Leopard 2 "Improved" (2A5 and prototypes)

scavenjer

Do you want the Leopard 2 "Improved" in-game?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which version would you like to see in-game?

• KVT/IVT/TVM 1 weaker turret front add-on but with hull and roof add-on
    • Leopard 2A5 or "Mannheim configuration" stronger turret front, but no roof or hull add-on
    • Strv 122 or "Wall 'o steel configuration" equally strong turret front with roof and hull add-on
    • All of the above, some at later dates or perhaps in different trees (Strv 122 in Swedish tree)
    • None of the above
  2. 2. If you chose to see one of these variants, at what BR do you think they should be?

3. 3. What should be the top ammunition for this new tank(s)?

2 minutes ago, scavenjer said:

Yes, exactly why I consider it unlikely the 2A5 or Strv 122 have C tech base armour for the turret.

All German A5/A6s.

The German tanks would've logically been with C-tech as Germany already had a fleet of Leopard 2A4's with C-tech Pakete. The Swedes obviously didn't feel they needed this, and they were right considering the protection value provided with the Technologie 5 combination.

medal medal

1 minute ago, Panthera_Pardus said:

The German tanks would've logically been with C-tech as Germany already had a fleet of Leopard 2A4's with C-tech Pakete. The Swedes obviously didn't feel they needed this, and they were right considering the protection value provided with the Technologie 5 combination.

German 2A5s were built using batch 6-8 hulls and 1-3 turrets:

Spoiler

unknown.png

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

29 minutes ago, Panthera_Pardus said:

Scheibert writes that the turret armour modules were replaced.

He specifically says that the batch 1-3 turrets as used for the 2A5 were already fitted with C-tech before the conversion?

5 minutes ago, scavenjer said:

He specifically says that the batch 1-3 turrets as used for the 2A5 were already fitted with C-tech before the conversion?

He writes that the turrets used for the conversion had their armour modules replaced. C-tech 2A4's had however been in service since 1988. Apparently 2A4 turrets with D-tech even existed, and these were put on the oldest hulls available after the 2A5 conversion program. Thus it's even possible that the 2A5's delivered to the German army between 1995-98 were with D-tech internal modules..

medal medal

2 minutes ago, Panthera_Pardus said:

He writes that the turrets used for the conversion had their armour modules replaced. C-tech 2A4's had however been in service since 1988. Apparently 2A4 turrets with D-tech even existed, and these were put on the oldest hulls available after the 2A5 conversion program. Thus it's even possible that the 2A5's delivered to the German army between 1995-98 were with D-tech internal modules..

So not before the conversion, but during.

Neither Jerchel nor Spielberger mention any kind of turret insert change, merely that the turrets were modernised and reworked (optic change).

Spoiler

unknown.png

"D tech" inserts aren't mentioned in any books I've read so far, only skirts in that technology are mentioned.

12 hours ago, scavenjer said:

So not before the conversion, but during.

Neither Jerchel nor Spielberger mention any kind of turret insert change, merely that the turrets were modernised and reworked (optic change).

Hide contents

unknown.png

"D tech" inserts aren't mentioned in any books I've read so far, only skirts in that technology are mentioned.

From the Krapke/Hilmes Leopard 2 book and the Spielberger book : Leopard 2A4s were  B and C type armor packages for hull and turret for the mixed batches once the Leopard A2A5s were being produced with D armor. The other Leopard 2s are B for both the hull and the turret. Some are C type for both the hull and the turret. With the last German Leopard 2A4s it seems that they were C type armor for both hull and turret + D type side skirts.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Laviduce said:

From the Krapke/Hilmes Leopard 2 book and the Spielberger book : Leopard 2A4s were  B and C type armor packages for hull and turret for the mixed batches once the Leopard A2A5s were being produced with D armor. The other Leopard 2s are B for both the hull and the turret. Some are C type for both the hull and the turret. With the last German Leopard 2A4s it seems that they were C type armor for both hull and turret + D type side skirts.

That's also what I've found, I reckon there must've been some confusion as to what they meant with "D tech" on the leopard 2A5s.

Spielberger for instance mentiones that from the 97th vehicle of the 6th batch they started using C tech all the way to the 8th batch when only the skirts were changed.

In any case, there's still a lot of debate around this topic and only primary sources can really put a rest to it.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Alconafter, the Leopard 2A5 won't have DM53.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/arlh72/translation_from_the_streamer_collaborating_with/

"I think that Leopard 2A5 and the M1A1 are very beautiful, and I’m waiting for them. [...] To the Leopard 2A5 won't be given it's exact DM53, but it will be given a DM33 as for the Type 90."

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

8 minutes ago, WulfPack said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/arlh72/translation_from_the_streamer_collaborating_with/

"I think that Leopard 2A5 and the M1A1 are very beautiful, and I’m waiting for them. [...] To the Leopard 2A5 won't be given it's exact DM53, but it will be given a DM33 as for the Type 90."

That's very unfortunate, but we'll see if this actually happens.

On 17/02/2019 at 23:06, scavenjer said:

That's very unfortunate, but we'll see if this actually happens.

On 17/02/2019 at 22:57, WulfPack said:

a nerfed DM33... great, might as well fire HEAT-FS only....

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, WulfPack said:

Well theres one headache I wish I avoided 

sry, but you get your T-80U soon which gives me headaches.... so i would say, that we are even :D

• Haha 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

+1 to this.  Gaijin is heading for tier VII now, so a Leo 2A5 is a must.  Hopefully we'll get multiple variants.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

17 hours ago, WulfPack said:

Unfortunately Gaijin seems to be adding this without proper counterparts.

Unfortunatley some people seems to like pointless conclusions without proper sources to back it up :dntknw:. We all havent seen how they are gonna implement the tank.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

8 hours ago, Anju_Yuuki said:

Unfortunatley some people seems to like pointless conclusions without proper sources to back it up :dntknw:

I'm just worried about the 2A5 being horribly modeled or horribly OP.

medal

16 hours ago, WulfPack said:

I'm just worried about the 2A5 being horribly modeled or horribly OP.

Its gonna be either one of those. I actually believe the april fools model was actually the model that came close to the real life counterpart. But for the sake of balance they have to artificially „balance“ it 

Edited by Anju_Yuuki
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Anju_Yuuki said:

Its gonna be either one of those. I actually believe the april fools model was actually the model that came close to the real life counterpart. But for the sake of balance they have to artificially „balance“ it 

Considering that they intend to launch it at the same time with opposite tanks that are FAR from it's equal counterparts they will HAVE TO "balance" it if they don't want it to completely annihilate top tier even more than US teams have been doing for 1 year now. M1A1 and T-80U are not competition for 2A5; for that they would have to bring M1A2, T-90A and T-80UA and maybe even Leclerc.

In one way I hope they will launch completely realistic 2A5 so that US will finally feel the pain they've been causing every other nation except UK for so long now. I mean, USSR can't get any more clubbed than they've been for so long now, I've given up on that tree ever being top dog again; I've abandoned it and redirected myself to other trees.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...