• Both
    • None (I dont want it in game)
  2. 2. Should the Missiles be in separate or the same vehicle

• Both missile types being a modification
    • Each Vehicle having one of the Missile Types
    • Only One Missile Type
  3. 3. Should it be 9.0 or 10.0

• Other (Suggest Below)
    • 9.0 for LAV-AD and 10.0 for Blazer (if you want both)

LAV-AD

blazer5.jpg.ea7bf3634a8bd1dea46cc2957069

OR

blazer8.jpg.05bd1f87176e28b3ba20d6588284

(4 Mistral Missiles)

What is this Machine?

The American LAV-AD is a gun/missile air defense system developed for the LAV-25. It was produced by General Dynamics and uses a 25mm Gatling Gun as well as 8 Fire and Forget Stinger Missiles or 4 Mistral Missiles. The vehicle is a LAV-25 (slightly modified) with a Blazer Air Defence Turret. It is also all terrain and amphibious. It may also remind you of something because in Battlefield 4 the American SPAA for that game.

Basic Stats:

275 hp Detriot Diesel 6V53T

Allison MT653 Transmission (5 speeds forward - 1 reverse)

4 Automotive Differentials, 1 Water Drive

8 Independent Wheeled Suspension

Full Time: 4 Wheel Drive (Rear)

Selective: 8 Wheel Drive 

Power Steering and Breaks

Selective Water Drive with 2 Propellers and 4 Rudders

Performance:

Max Speed: 62 mph (99.7 kmh)

Swim Speed: 6 mph (9.65 kmh)

Range: 410 Miles (660 km)

Min Turn Diameter: 51 Feet (15.5 Meters)

Max Trench Crossing: 81 Inches (2 Meters)

Max Grade: 60%

Max Slide Slope: 30%

Armament:

GAU-12/U

25mm Gatling Gun

Stinger Missiles (or Mistral)

Ammunition:

25mm 990 Rounds (385 Ready to Fire)

16 Stinger Missiles (8 Ready to Fire)

or

4 Ready to Fire Mistral Missiles (Unkown how many stored in the LAV)

Firing Rate: 1800 shots per minute (for the 25mm Gatling Gun)

Armor:

"The LAV-25 is a lightly armored vehicle. The base model is protected by light gauge high hardness steel armor (MIL-A-46100), varying in nominal thickness from 4.71 mm to 9.71 mm. This level of high-hardness steel armor is intended only to offer protection against small arms rounds such as the common 7.62x39mm M1943 ball used by the AKM, to achieve the lowest possible weight and cost"

LAV Armor Plate Study: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a257674.pdf (if you want details)

Crew:

Driver

Gunner

Commander

Fire Suppression Systems:

Halon 1301 (manual system in crew & engine compartments)

Paints:

Interior Sea Foam Green

CARC-exterior camouflage pattern

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.7d77cb81c03bb04d

History

"The LAV-AD is in service with the US Marine Corps (USMC). The last 17 were delivered in January 1999. The Mission of the USMC LAV-AD is to provide air defense for the light armored vehicle battalion, with a secondary role to defend against ground threats"

The LAV-AD Armament

lav-ad-P97056p.jpg.a9b202dfd25b3b90b1002

The Blazer Turret for the LAV-AD included two different air defense systems. The first one being a GAU-12/U 25mm Gatling Gun and the second one being Four Stinger Surface-to-Air Missile launcher pods. The turret is electrically driven and controlled by either of the two turret operators. A Stabilisation system is also fitted for
fire on the movie capability.

The Stinger Missile has two-color-infrared-ultraviolet rosette scan seeker and a 3kg (6.6 lbs) warhead. The max speed of the missile is Mach 2.2 with a maximum range of 8 km (.62 miles). The current production for the Stinger Missiles is the RMP FIM-92D's or the Block 1 FIM-92E's. The block 1 missile has new roll frequency sensors and an improved processor (an upgraded version for the game). 8 Missiles are carried spare to reload manually when the first 8 are fired.

Elevation for the Gun and Missile is -8 degrees to +60 degrees.

The 25mm Gatling gun provides anti-air cover in the missile dead zone and has a rate of fire of 1,800 shots a minute and a maximum range of 2,500 meters (1.55 miles).

There are also two banks of four electric smoke grenade dischargers on either side of the front turret.

It is also equipped with an automatic digital fire control system, allowing missiles and gun to be preprogrammed with 44 onboard air defense engagements. The Primary target engagement is provided by the FLIR TV sight system (FTS). The system provides passive acquisition and tracking of targets by day and night. The integrated sight system has a two-axis, stabilized, digital line-of-sight director for a fire on the move capability. The sensor suite includes a second generation,
dual field of view thermal sight and day TV. It also has a 240*4 thermal image scanning array.

Blazer Air Defence System

blazer1.jpg.718cb8bfaade9e95a396cd37354c

A Variant of the LAV-AD is the Blazer Air Defence System by General Dynamics. The Blazer integrates a TRS 2630P acquisition radar for early threat detection and cueing of the FLIR/TV Targeting sight.

The TRS 2630P radar system is also fielded by the French Army, it has a range up to 17km (10.5 miles) and also provides target identification.

The Blazer air defense system combines the high rate of fire Gatling gun with the Stinger or Mistral infrared guided surface to air missiles (shown above). The range on the Mistral is 6km (3.72 miles) and has a fully automated digital fire control system that allows the Blazer to carry out stationary and on the move target engagements.

Videos (Lower your volume!)

In War Thunder

I feel in War Thunder the American tree will eventually need a high tier SPAA with Radar to compete with the Tunguska, I feel the LAV-AD will provide that role for adding a good high tier for many to work towards and the option between the long range (but lower top speed and less of them) Mistrals or the Stingers could be kept on the same vehicle, and the designation could change based off the one you have equipped (or you could only add one). I don't know what else to say other than to vote in the poll, its always nice to see people opinions on this and I really hope Gaijin adds this to the American SPAA line, it will obviously be the last one in the tree at 9.0 or 10.0 (I would suggest 10 but that's just me).

Sources and Documents:

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/lav-ad.htm

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/stinger.htm

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/gau-12.htm

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/ch2.pdf

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/blazer/

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a257674.pdf

Edited by I_Am_Bob224
Wording on sentences
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 11
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Technical Moderator

I'm all for the LAV armored car line being added, and especially things like this one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC The Blazer was made as an export model of the LAV-AD replacing the AIM-92s with Mistrals, if anything they should be separate vehicles. LAV-AD would fit best as a 10.0 US SPAAG (remember that these are fire and forget missiles). IDK Where the Blazer would go, I don't see it being added over the LAV-AD itself. Possibly put the Blazer variant in the French tech tree? I'm not really sure.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

We need the one with hydra rockets.

LAV-ad_Air_Defense_Armoured_Vehicle_US_A

fxqmhh.jpg

Edited by AraMacao
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

This would be neat to have for the US tree. Only issue is that the basic version doesn't use a radar for targeting, and War Thunder doesn't have any alternate mechanics for optical gun leading solutions. Arcade provides SOMETHING but it's very inaccurate.

Edited by Baxter
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 02/04/2019 at 20:38, Baxter said:

This would be neat to have for the US tree. Only issue is that the basic version doesn't use a radar for targeting, and War Thunder doesn't have any alternate mechanics for optical gun leading solutions. Arcade provides SOMETHING but it's very inaccurate.

LAV-25 never had a radar in any version. It did have some sort if FLIR I think.

medal

On 26/03/2019 at 08:43, Rin___Kaenbyou said:

IIRC The Blazer was made as an export model of the LAV-AD replacing the AIM-92s with Mistrals, if anything they should be separate vehicles. LAV-AD would fit best as a 10.0 US SPAAG (remember that these are fire and forget missiles). IDK Where the Blazer would go, I don't see it being added over the LAV-AD itself. Possibly put the Blazer variant in the French tech tree? I'm not really sure.

NO, we are tired of having american vehicles in other nations trees. get your own spaa.

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/blazer/

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/lav-ad.htm

Edited by sartt
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal

+1 if it is a replacement for the ADATS. This seems much more balanced.

• Upvote 1
medal

• 1 month later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the LAV-AD has been implemented as per 2.15 Wind of Change,

Moved  to Implemented Suggestions. :salute: