As many of you know with the addition of air to air missiles and now Radar guided sams in the game. i submit Britians entry for this category later down the line after the current cheiften marksman The Alvis stormer HVM.

Related image

The Alvis stormer was originally designed as an apc but with later variants of the cvr family receiving turrets and this aa unit. it was built in 1983 by Alvis vickers/ BAE landsystems, The chasis itself can house many turreted versions but im focusing on the HVM variant Which has 8 start streak missiles (12 inside) and was in service from 1997 but are currently being phased out of service as there is not much threat from aircraft from the west. As we get more and more into later years vehicles sources and stuff gets harder to find so im hunting for everything for this vehicle

here are some stats of the chasis 

Built in 1983

The engine is a Perkins 6 litre, 6 cylinder diesel that gives 260hp or 186kW

its weight is 12.7 tonnes and top speed was 50mph/80kmh

Its power to weight ratio is 21hp to every tonne

however the weight increase to 13.5 tonnes with the stars streak platform being added and the height of the vehicle increased from 2.49 meters to 3.4 meters

its length is 5.6meters and width is 2.8meters

And its top speed is 80kmh (50mph)

This specific armament of this vehicle are 8 ready to fire starstreak missiles, 12 inside (20 missiles total) and it was mainly used for short range ground to air cover and for defence it had 8 smoke grenades

links to the chasis 

https://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/combat-vehicles/

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=44

1920px-Alvis_Stormer_in_2009.jpg?1544874

Its guidance system used for the missiles was laser guided and had a crew of 3 Driver,radio operator and gunner and was able to carry 20 missiles (8 ready to fire and 12 inside the Vehicle) for a sustained ground to air cover and the range of the missile was 5.5km which is vastly superior to the current aa vehicles we have. This is from the website http://www.military-today.com/missiles/stormer_hvm.htm for the missile and guidance system

Missile length 1.39 m
Missile diameter 0.27 m
Missile weight 20 kg
Warhead weight 3 x 0.9 kg
Missile speed Mach 3.5
Range of fire up to 5.5 km
Guidance system laser
Number of missiles carried 20

Here is a picture of the starstreak missile which is also used in portable manpads and the apache

Image result for starstreak missile

I have found more information of the starstreak missiles and they were upgraded to starstreak 2 missiles in 2007 with an extended range of more than 7km source for this click this link:

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/starstreak/

Qouted from Website linked

Starstreak II extended range surface-to-air missile system

In September 2007, Thales announced the development of Starstreak II, which has an extended range of more than 7km, increased coverage and altitude, and improved precision guidance.

Thales is also developing the multi-mission system (MMS), which is a lightweight vehicle-mounted turret system, which can be equipped with the Starstreak and/or other missiles such as anti-armour missiles or rocket systems. The system has automatic target tracking and can be integrated into a network-enabled force structure.

The Starstreak II system was successfully demonstrated to the UK MoD in March 2008. The upgraded launcher and missile were tested in November 2010. The system was showcased at the IMDEX maritime defence show in May 2011.

In January 2008, Thales was awarded a contract by the UK MoD for the capability support of the Starstreak systems until 2020. The contract also includes the supply of a new fire control system and automatic target tracking for the SP HVM.

This is also qouted from militarytoday.

The Stormer HVM (High Velocity Missile) is a short-range air defense system. It was developed primarily to counter the threat of attack helicopters and low-flying aircraft posed to armored formations. This air defense system is in service with the British Army. The first of 151 systems entered service in 1997. The only export operator is Oman.This air defense system is equipped with Starstreak HVM missiles. Launchers are located towards the rear together with their target sensors. The Starstreak missiles have a two-stage solid propellant rocket motor and travel at more than three times the speed of sound (Mach 3.5). Each missile contains three high-density darts with impact fuses and explosive warheads, to make multiple hits on the target. The darts are released as the second stage of the motor burns out. Missiles have a range of 1 500 - 5 500 meters and can counter even high performance low-flying aircraft. Service ceiling for these missiles is 1 000 m. The Starstreak HVM has a semi-automatic line of sight laser beam riding guidance. Missiles are guided on the target by the operator, who tracks the target using the optically stabilized sight

Here is a documentary on the starstreak missile and some specs about the 3 darts granted its discovery channel but finding information on the missile itself is very difficult:

1920px-Stormer_vehicle_fring_a_Starstrea

its current operators are The UK and Oman

Here is a video of what the engine sounds like

I have found footage of what the inside of this looks like skip to 3.14 in this video

i cannot find the manuals for this vehicle as there is not much else i can find for this version as its only role was mainly aa, if and when i can find stuff i will add it all i have been able to find as of now is these 5 websites and the current information i found as i havent used wiki at all becuase i know it wont get accepted if wiki is used

Source websites used

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/starstreak/

https://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/combat-vehicles/

http://www.military-today.com/missiles/stormer_hvm.htm This site has some details about the missiles weight,speed and the guidance sytem used

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=44

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1032.html

Edited by ScottishFalcon
Forgot to add its top speed im an idiot lol
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal

thanks ItssLuBu

any help gathering information on this would help aswell as trying to find stuff for this is getting quite difficult apart from what i found also kinda looks like the last picture it has got upgraded sights with what looks like a tracker ontop of the system

Edited by ScottishFalcon
medal medal medal

+1 I would love to see this in game. And it mentions a lazer lock-on system. So basically you would have to stay locked on to the aircraft and the second you lose your lock the missile would lose lock. Lest it would have a better lock on system then the Tunguska. But yes I would definitely want this in game it. Also it would be great if it got anti-ground capabilities as well.

Edited by duckmartin
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 17/03/2019 at 00:02, duckmartin said:

+1 I would love to see this in game. And it mentions a lazer lock-on system. So basically you would have to stay locked on to the aircraft and the second you lose your lock the missile would lose lock. Lest it would have a better lock on system then the Tunguska. But yes I would definitely want this in game it. Also it would be great if it got anti-ground capabilities as well.

Like you'd need the time.

The things travels at above Mach 4 for pete's sake!

medal

On 17/03/2019 at 00:02, duckmartin said:

from what i read on these missiles they are very capable against light armoured targets like the bmps and other anti air units not sure about against the tanks from the side maybe the leopard might get penned

Edited by ScottishFalcon
medal medal medal

I've thought of this for a while but I appreciate you actually going through with the suggestion. Another benefit of adding this would be that US/GB teams would be guaranteed to have an AA that can take out helis. When Russia/Italy is on the opposite team, they have free reign.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

21 hours ago, ScottishFalcon said:

from what i read on these missiles they are very capable against light armoured targets like the bmps and other anti air units not sure about against the tanks from the side maybe the leopard might get penned

Each dart has about the same kinetic energy as a 40mm Bofors round.

So see it as 3x 40mm armour piercing rounds striking at the same time with an APHE effect.

Nasty.

Edited by TheFuzzieOne
medal

• 2 weeks later...

so off the bat we have startstreak and later on when we research the stuff like parts and that we could have the starstreak 2 as an upgrade and as a deployable camoflague skirt for the vehicle we could have that as a upgrade aswell

like this

Image result for stormer hvm

or this

pm35.jpg

Also when looking for the canvass skirt when i found this one we can see what the sights are without that big plate covering them them

more images on what the sights and optics look like

Related image

Edited by ScottishFalcon
medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

oh cheers im glad you managed to find something as i wasnt able to find much else from where i was looking 

Edited by ScottishFalcon
medal medal medal

27 minutes ago, ScottishFalcon said:

oh cheers im glad you managed to find something as i wasnt able to find much else from where i was looking 

Those two documents will override any other aswell as they come straight from thales the designer and creator of the starstreak system. 

medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...