Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. K, Command Tank

Milocat

Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. K  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this tank in the game?

• Yes, as a regular vehicle.
    • Yes, as a premium vehicle.
    • Yes, as an event vehicle.
    • No thanks.

The Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. K was a dedicated command tank variant of the Panzer III, designed and built in late 1942/early 1943. They were modified from Panzer III L and M hulls.  The Panzer III K fitted a large array of radio equipment to allow for coordination of tank units in battle.  It could be identified by the large star antenna mounted at the rear of the vehicle, not present on other Panzer III variants.  Unlike many other command tanks, including other command modifications of the Panzer III, the turret-mounted 50mm cannon was fully functional and not merely a dummy gun.  This vehicle was a fully-fledged, armed, and armored tank that could go toe-to-toe with enemy armor if needed.  The extra radio equipment necessitated the removal of the coaxial machine gun and some of the ammunition storage for the main weapon (I could not find information on how many fewer rounds were available for the main gun).

The Panzer III K saw extensive service in its role as a command vehicle and even remained in the field after other variants of the Panzer III had been removed from frontline service.  

The Panzer III K would be an excellent addition to the game.  It could be a premium vehicle, fitting with the theme of the other command vehicles in the German tree.  

Specifications:  

Length:  5.56m

Width:  2.9m

Height:  2.5m

Weight:  ~23 tons

Engine:  Maybach HL 120 TRM V-12, 300 PS, 296 hp

Speed:  40 kmh (25 mph)

Crew:  5 (Driver, Gunner, Commander, Loader, Radio Operator)

Armor:  50mm on turret front, 30mm turret sides and rear, 50mm hull front and 20mm spaced plate, 30mm hull sides, 50mm hull rear

Armament:  One 50mm KwK 39 L/60 cannon, one hull-mounted 7.92mm MG 34 machine gun (unknown rounds but fewer than Panzer III J, L, and M models)

Number Built:  50

Spoiler

new67.jpg

p1.jpg

Befehlspanzerwagen-III_Ausf-K.png

pziiik_naomasadairaku1.jpg

pziiik_naomasadairaku2.jpg

pziiik_naomasadairaku3.jpg

pziiik_naomasadairaku4.jpg

pziiik_naomasadairaku5.jpg

m30-123.jpg

img_3249.jpg

img_3251.jpg

panzeriii10.jpg

117728_orig.jpg

Sources:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_III 

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_panzerbefehlswagen_III_ausf_K.html 

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=75 

http://www.nevingtonwarmuseum.com/panzer-iii-variants.html 

https://erenow.net/ww/panzer-iii-germanys-medium-tank/3.php 

http://www.wardrawings.be/WW2/Files/1-Vehicles/Axis/1-Germany/02-mPanzers/PzKpfw3/PzBfWg3-Ausf.K.htm

Edited by Milocat
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, thanks for all the support so far!  If you liked this suggestion, please check out this related one I also made regarding command vehicles:  

Spoiler

This would make command tanks such as the Panzer III K even more fun and unique in the game!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Giving them the scouting ability would be a natural!  It seems like one of those things that was so obvious it is not clear why no one thought of that to begin with.

Edited by Valcour
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator

This could be a very nice little premium, going along with the other German premium command-tanks.

You have my support! +1 :good:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh wow, do you think this could be classed as a 'light tank' in rank 3? If so, hell yes. Germany doesn't have one until 6.3/6.7 Or just locked behind Rank 2 like usual Gaijin tactics.. I don't get why they don't see the $ potential in walling new players off and allowing rank 2 challenges. WW2 is a goldmine, just keep the newer players away from us and it's done. Less than 30% play Br7 or higher. 

'Germany suffers' (ok it doesn't but sort of does for challenges if you are German main) without a rank 3 light/scouting tank. M18 is a 'light tank' so this can be too ;)

If only it had the 75mm KwK37 for lobtastic 3.3s reload 100mm HEAT. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2021 at 03:54, Chomusuke1 said:

Hoo boy I knew this was going to come up sooner or later, and now that I'm back from vacation I suppose I should address it.  

This suggestion is not for the vehicle described here, the Panzer III K I've suggested is a command tank that keeps the 50mm cannon and adds radio equipment, which reduces turret space enough that the designers took out the coaxial machine gun and some of the main gun ammunition.  

Once upon a time there was a very long thread about the supposed 75mm cannon Panzer III K (I think it's been archived now because I just looked and couldn't find it) full of furious debate on the matter, long story short, the turret ring would have needed to be enlarged to support the Panzer IV turret and the extra weight would have put more strain on the chassis of the Panzer III, nullifying any performance advantage.  It's a very impractical idea with no real benefits so it's easy to see why it was quickly dropped in favor of just making more Panzer IVs.  Now I have no evidence of this but I would guess that the reason for the confusion is that after the long 75mm Panzer III idea was rejected the III K designation was reused for the command variant, as these tanks weren't modified until 1942.

Here's another thread I found on the same topic:  

Basically this is a different Panzer III variant than the one you posted, armed with a 50mm cannon, and the long 75 Panzer III is unlikely to appear in the game.

On 11/08/2021 at 04:13, N4CR_ said:

Oh wow, do you think this could be classed as a 'light tank' in rank 3? If so, hell yes. Germany doesn't have one until 6.3/6.7 Or just locked behind Rank 2 like usual Gaijin tactics.. I don't get why they don't see the $ potential in walling new players off and allowing rank 2 challenges. WW2 is a goldmine, just keep the newer players away from us and it's done. Less than 30% play Br7 or higher. 

'Germany suffers' (ok it doesn't but sort of does for challenges if you are German main) without a rank 3 light/scouting tank. M18 is a 'light tank' so this can be too ;)

If only it had the 75mm KwK37 for lobtastic 3.3s reload 100mm HEAT. 

Classifying it as a light tank would be an interesting idea!  Perhaps that would work in its favor, I'd have to think about that.  I do agree with you that the WWII side of the game has been sorely neglected as of late.

Edited by Milocat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Milocat said:

Classifying it as a light tank would be an interesting idea!  Perhaps that would work in its favor, I'd have to think about that.  I do agree with you that the WWII side of the game has been sorely neglected as of late.

I enjoy playing the short 75 up to 3.7 or so but it gets pretty challenging if you're not 100% on form with roof lob HEAT game. Absolutely lethal to stuff with thin roof/open compartments. Would be lower weight than the longer 5cm I'd guess. Having either as a variant would be cool depending on play style and preference but I'd understand for most players they'd prefer the 5cm. 

That said I'll gladly play the puma at 3.7 and up and it's only a 50mm. If this tank was lighter because of this and more mobile/faster as a compromise, then this could be an interesting addition. Something between a Pz2-4 and a Puma type game play, so more armour but less mobility, with spotting - could be a great gameplay style to add to Germany WW2!

Problem with the smaller gun is it's more likely to be tiered down as newer players fail with it.. then rank 3 dream is gone. 

edit: There are also a few other wheely bois we have not seen in game yet on smaller chassis than puma, that could also be considered for this. Rarer though. 

Edited by N4CR_
medal

11 hours ago, N4CR_ said:

I enjoy playing the short 75 up to 3.7 or so but it gets pretty challenging if you're not 100% on form with roof lob HEAT game. Absolutely lethal to stuff with thin roof/open compartments. Would be lower weight than the longer 5cm I'd guess. Having either as a variant would be cool depending on play style and preference but I'd understand for most players they'd prefer the 5cm. 

That said I'll gladly play the puma at 3.7 and up and it's only a 50mm. If this tank was lighter because of this and more mobile/faster as a compromise, then this could be an interesting addition. Something between a Pz2-4 and a Puma type game play, so more armour but less mobility, with spotting - could be a great gameplay style to add to Germany WW2!

Problem with the smaller gun is it's more likely to be tiered down as newer players fail with it.. then rank 3 dream is gone. 

edit: There are also a few other wheely bois we have not seen in game yet on smaller chassis than puma, that could also be considered for this. Rarer though. 

I'm not really sure if this tank would be any lighter than other Panzer IIIs because the ammunition and machine gun weren't removed to save weight but to make room for a complex radio system.  Still, this tank could probably do very well at a higher tier than other Panzer IIIs working as a sniper and scout-type vehicle.