Sd.kfz 165 Hummel  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this vehicle in the game?

• Yes, as a regular vehicle.
    • Yes, as a premium vehicle.
    • Yes, as an event vehicle.
    • No thanks.

The Sd.kfz 165 Hummel (Bumblebee) was a German self-propelled howitzer entering service in early 1943 and serving until the end of the war.  Like the Nashorn tank destroyer, it was an open-topped casemate vehicle built on the chassis of a Panzer III/IV tank, but instead of mounting a high-velocity 88mm anti-tank cannon the Hummel used a 150mm sFH 18/1 L/30 gun with a relatively high velocity for a howitzer.  It was intended to provide fast-moving artillery support that could keep up with the attacks of panzer divisions.  Like on the Nashorn, the engine was moved to the center of the vehicle to provide more space for the rear-mounted fighting compartment.  With over 700 vehicles produced, the Hummel was the most-produced German self-propelled howitzer of the war.  They proved very effective with their large-bore weapons and long firing ranges.  Hummels first saw widespread use at the Battle of Kursk and went on to serve extensively on the Eastern front and in smaller capacities on the Western front as well.  As an interesting note, Hitler ordered the nickname "Hummel" removed from its designation as he considered it an inappropriate name for a combat vehicle (this coming from the same guy who was gaga for the Maus, but I digress).  

The Hummel would be a perfect addition to Germany's self-propelled howitzer line!  It mounts a 150mm howitzer with a higher muzzle velocity than any other 150mm German gun in the game while keeping all the devastating explosive power of the Sturmpanzer II and Brummbar.  And who doesn't want a howitzer Nashorn?

Specifications:  

Length:  7.17m

Width:  2.97m

Height:  2.81m

Weight:  24 tons

Engine:  Maybach HL120 TRM 12-cylinder gasoline engine, 296 hp

Speed:  40 kmh (26 mph)

Crew:  6 (Driver, Gunner, Commander, Loader, Loader, Loader/Machine Gunner, Radio Operator)

Armor:  10-30mm

Armament:  One 150mm sFH 18/1 L/30 howitzer (18 rounds), one 7.92mm MG34 machine gun (600 rounds)

Number Built:  714

Spoiler

SdKfz_165_Hummel,_Mus%C3%A9e_des_Blind%C

25163.jpg

SdKfz165.jpg

6195_6870232@2x.jpg

263405-13441-39-pristine.jpg

1142_6204p5.jpg

1140_6150p4.jpg

Sources:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummel_(vehicle) 

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/hummel-spg-15cm-s-fh-181-sf-geschutzwagen-iiiiv-sd-kfz-165/ 

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=1044 

https://ww2db.com/vehicle_spec.php?q=521 

Edited by Milocat

Princess_Pinch (Posted )

As last time i listed it under the official name: 15 cm schwere Panzerhaubitze auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen III/IV (Sf.) (Sd.Kfz. 165 Hummel)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 20
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Now thats a definite +1.

I just fear that having only 10-30mm of armor will significantly decrease its BR and give it a way to strong gun for what it faces, just liek teh Sturmpanzer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator

Absolutely! +1 :salute:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The gun was able to depress to -10 degrees and elevate to +45 degrees. There is a plethora of information on it from here:

http://aviarmor.net/tww2/tanks/germany/hummel.htm

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

This is indirect firing artillery piece, not assault artillery vehicle. I would like WT to be linked with realism. This vehicle put on the very frontline is certainly not realistic. I know we have french vehicle of this type already in game, but do not use one mistake to justify another.

• Confused 1
medal medal

+1

gib pls

45 minutes ago, Dominator48 said:

This is indirect firing artillery piece, not assault artillery vehicle. I would like WT to be linked with realism. This vehicle put on the very frontline is certainly not realistic. I know we have french vehicle of this type already in game, but do not use one mistake to justify another.

Sturmpanzer wants to know your location

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

i think it would fit under the Nashorn at 5.3 or lover cince it would have an extremly high reload (like Sturer Emil) or in the someday probably coming Sturmpanzer branch or somewhat it is called.

+1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

7 hours ago, Dominator48 said:

It isn't an indirect artillery piece. During Kursk, it was used in a variety of frontline roles which included being a tank destroyer. It's -10 degrees of gun depression allowed it to, along with its AP ammunition.

Edit: To clarify myself, it is an indirect artillery piece but it was also a multirole vehicle in the sense that it was used as a frontline support vehicle and tank destroyer.

Edited by Necro_Vin
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

What Kind of ap did it use , what muzzle velocity did it have and how much explosive , what explosive , and stats for he and what Kinds of ammo did it have ? I want to know :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

7 minutes ago, Ghostmaxi said:

What Kind of ap did it use , what muzzle velocity did it have and how much explosive , what explosive , and stats for he and what Kinds of ammo did it have ? I want to know :D

Same here, I actually couldn't find any AP ammo for it in my research.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

31 minutes ago, Ghostmaxi said:

From this thread, they used a variant of the Panzergranate 39 designed to fit the 15 cm caliber, its complete name being '15 cm Panzergrante 39 Ts'. I can't figure out what the 'Ts' means. From the same thread and person he also claims it used a HEAT shell named the '15 cm Granate 39 HL/A'. Take this all with a grain of salt though, I can't find anything when I search them up.

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=133330

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

http://www.fahrzeuge-der-wehrmacht.de/Artikel/150_mm_sFH_18.html

I Found something  too , there are MANY ammunition listed , which were avaliable

9 minutes ago, Necro_Vin said:

From this thread, they used a variant of the Panzergranate 39 designed to fit the 15 cm caliber, its complete name being '15 cm Panzergrante 39 Ts'. I can't figure out what the 'Ts' means. From the same thread and person he also claims it used a HEAT shell named the '15 cm Granate 39 HL/A'. Take this all with a grain of salt though, I can't find anything when I search them up.

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=133330

Probably he ment Only T for tchechien

And s for mulitple 

Edited by Ghostmaxi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

3 hours ago, Ghostmaxi said:

http://www.fahrzeuge-der-wehrmacht.de/Artikel/150_mm_sFH_18.html

I Found something  too , there are MANY ammunition listed , which were avaliable

Probably he ment Only T for tchechien

And s for mulitple 

I can find the 15 cm Granate HL/A HEAT in the list, but I can't find the PzGr 39.

• 15 cm Gr 19 (15 cm Granate 19, high-explosive what type that is, weighing at 43.5 kg)
  • 15 cm Gr 19 Stg (15 cm Granate 19 Stahlguss, cast steel shell? Should be 15 cm Stg.Gr 19 I believe)
  • 15 cm Gr FeS (15 cm Granate 'sintered iron driving bands', high-explosive, should be 15 cm Gr FES I believe)
  • 15 cm Gr 36 FeS (15 cm Granate 36 'sintered iron driving bands', dunno, should be 15 cm Gr 36 FES I believe)
  • 15 cm Gr Be (15 cm Granate Beton, concrete-piercing round like the KV-2's G-530 shell, should be 15 cm Gr.Be I believe)
  • 15 cm Gr 19 rot (15 cm Granate 19 Rösling, I believe the 'rot' designation either designates a modification or a specific type of anti-concrete shell the Germans invented, with no English translation other than 'Rösling', should be 15 cm Rö.Gr 19 I believe)
  • 15 cm Gr 39 FeS HL (15 cm Granate 39 'sintered iron driving bands' Hohladung, a type of HEAT round, should be 15 cm Hl.Gr 39 FES I believe)
  • 15 cm Gr 39 FeS HL/A (15 cm Granate 39 'sintered iron driving bands' Hohladung/?, the HEAT round I found, I think the 'A' stands for the model but I'm not sure)
  • 15 cm Gr 19 Nb (15 cm Granate 19 Nebel, a smoke round, should be 15 cm Nb.Gr 19 I believe)
  • 15 cm Gr 38 Nb (15 cm Granate 38 Nebel, another smoke round, should be 15 cm Nb.Gr 38 I believe)
  • 15 cm R Gr 19 FeS (15 cm Raketengranate 19 'sintered iron driving bands', a rocket-assisted round, should be 15 cm R.Gr 19 FES I believe)
  • 15 cm SprGr 42 TS (15 cm Spreng Granate 42 Treibspiengel, a high-explosive discarding sabot round, should be 15 cm Spr.Gr 42 TS I believe)
  • 15 cm Splitter Beton Granate (I'm going to take a wild guess and say this is a cluster anti-concrete explosive)
  • 15 cm Flügelminen Klappleitwerkgeschoß (I think it's some type of high-explosive round)
  • 15 cm HL/C mit Flügelminenleitwerk zum Einsatz (some type of HEAT round I think)

I can't figure out the 'TS' or 'FeS' designations are, along with the latter three projectiles. I pretty much just looked at this to figure out the projectile types that I could: https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=31635&start=15

Edit: TS stands for Treibspiengel, discarding sabot, shells. I think the Spr.Gr 42 TS might be a Pz.Gr in that case then, I don't know how a high-explosive round could be a discarding sabot, or the TS designation could be wrong, or more likely I don't know what I'm talking about.

Edit 2: FeS stands for sintered iron driving bands, but in German of course.

Edited by Necro_Vin
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

16 minutes ago, Necro_Vin said:

Edit: TS stands for Treibspiengel, discarding sabot, shells. I think the Spr.Gr 42 TS might be a Pz.Gr in that case then, I don't know how a high-explosive round could be a discarding sabot, or the TS designation could be wrong, or more likely I don't know what I'm talking about.

I know that the American 105mm howitzer could fire a 57mm APHE shell inside a discarding sabot.  It's an ammunition type that could be really cool in the game but Gaijin hasn't added yet.  Perhaps the Germans did something similar?

1 hour ago, Milocat said:

I know that the American 105mm howitzer could fire a 57mm APHE shell inside a discarding sabot.  It's an ammunition type that could be really cool in the game but Gaijin hasn't added yet.  Perhaps the Germans did something similar?

Perhaps, but all I can find on it is the confirmation from others that the shell exists, or at least that the 15 cm s.F.H. 18 used a TS shell, but not how the specific shell functions.

Edit: Found this, but the 15 cm shell isn't in it. https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/210586-experimental-german-apds-ammunition/

Edit 2: https://www.wk2ammo.com/showthread.php?1497-15-12-8cm-Sprgr-42-Ts-(Treibspiegel)-WW2-Germany-(exp-)

There were five versions of the shell, all reducing the 150 mm caliber to 128 mm after firing, and all designed in the January of 1945. They were all high-explosive.

Edited by Necro_Vin
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Taken from German Artillery of World War Two by Ian V Hogg

The base round of the 15 cm sFH 18 and 18M was the 15 cm Gr 19 high-explosive round, standing for 15 centimeter Granate 19. It had either a AZ 23v(0.8) fuze or a Dopp Z S/60 fuze. It weighed at 43.50 kilograms or 95.92 pounds. Depending on the number of charges used, it would either fire at 210 meters per second with a maximum range of 4,000 meters (1 charge), 230 meters per second with a maximum range of 4,700 meters (2 charges), 250 meters per second with a maximum range of 5,525 meters (3 charges), 278 meters per second with a maximum range of 6,625 meters (4 charges), 320 meters per second with a maximum range of 8,200 meters (5 charges), 375 meters per second with a maximum range of 9,725 meters (6 charges), 440 meters per second with a maximum range of 11,400 meters (7 charges), and 495 meters per second with a maximum range of 13,250 meters (8 charges). From this round, many other variants were developed.

• One of the two most important rounds, and having nearly the same ballistics as the Gr 19, the 15 cm Gr 19 Stg, standing for 15 centimeter Granate 19 Stahlguss, was the same as the base round except for that it was made out of cast-steel and featured two bimetallic driving bands. The driving band stabilized the round further, though I don't know what effect the cast-steel had.
  • The other of the two most important variants was the 15 cm Gr Stg FES, standing for 15 centimeter Granate 19 Stahlguss FES (rotating band), was also made out of cast-steel but instead of featuring two bimetallic driving bands it featured a single sintered-iron driving band seen in many other German rounds. I do not know what effect this had, but I assume it provided better stabilization than the previous Gr 19 Stg and, in effect, better accuracy.
  • The 15 cm Gr 36 FES round was designed later as an improvement over the earlier Gr 19 round. It's full name was the 15 centimeter Granate 36 FES (rotating band) round. As said by the FES designation, it featured a single sintered-iron driving band. The main different was in its size, in comparison to the Gr 19 round it is 150 millimeters longer but also weighed less due to thinner walls at 38.50 kilograms or 84.89 pounds. It used either a Dopp Z S/60 fuze or a AZ 23 fuze. However, it doesn't specify which model of AZ 23 fuze which could give it anywhere between a 0.1 second delay to a 1 second delay, so I will assume its still the AZ 23v(0.8).
  • The 15 cm Gr 19 Be round was designed as an anti-concrete round, standing for 15 centimeters Granate 19 Beton. It was fitted with a light alloy ballistic cap over the sharp conical tip. The body cavity was lined with a sulphur compound while filled with 4.75 kilograms or 10.47 pounds of TNT in pre-pressed blocks. The round itself weighed 43.50 kilograms or 84.89 pounds. The fuse it used was the Bd Z F 15 cm Gr Be which was designed specifically for it.
  • The 15 cm Gr 19 Be rot is an improved version of the Gr 19 Be round standing for 15 centimeters Granate 19 Beton Rochling. The body cavity was reduced in size in order to give greater strength to the walls of the shell, reducing the payload to 3.25 kilograms or 7.17 pounds of TNT and replacing the sulphur lining with waxed cardboard. It featured the same fuze but has a slighter reduced weight of 43.45 kilograms or 7.17 pounds.
  • The 15 cm Gr 39 FES Hl, standing for 15 centimeters Granate 39 FES (rotating band) Hohladung, was the first hollow-charged (HEAT) shell to be issued to the sFH 18 and could also be fired from the sFH 13. All that Ian says is that the tracer pellet was fitted into the base. It weighed 24.55 kilograms or 54.13 pounds and fitted a K1 AZ 40 Nb fuze.
  • The 15 cm Gr 39 FES Hl/A was an improvement over the Gr 39 FES Hl, standing for 15 centimeters Granate 39 FES (rotating band) Hohladung model(?) A. Compared to its predecessor, it had a longer ogive and the same internal arrangement as a 10.5 cm le FH 18 pattern shell. It was fired with a charge of 6 to give a muzzle velocity of 460 meters per second. It featured a K1 AZ 40 Nb Pr fuze. It weighed 24.57 kilograms or 54.18 pounds.
  • The 15 cm Gr 19 Nb, standing for 15 centimeters Granate 19 Nebel, was a smoke round. It was filled with either a combination of oleum and pumice or oleum or pumice and fitted with AZ 23 Nb fuze. It weighed 39 kilograms or 86 pounds.
  • The 15 cm Gr 38 Nb, standing for 15 centimeters Granate 38 Nebel, was an improved version of the Gr 19 Nb shell. It was fitted with a larger charge in order to better distribute the smoke mixture and in effect better the obstructing power of it. It weighed 43.47 kilograms or 95.85 pounds and was fitted with a K1 AZ 40 Nb fuze.
  • The 15 cm R Gr 19 FES, standing for 15 centimeters Raketen Granate 19 FES (rotating band) was the first rocket-assisted shell ever made. It was slightly larger than 8 charges and required a muzzle break to be fitted due to the excessive strain on the recoil systems, I do not know if that holds true on the Hummel. The rocket motor was located in the rear of the shell and the propulsion passed through ten venturis at the base of the shell propelling it to 19,000 meters. It is not known how exactly it was ignited, by Ian's account, but he suggests it was probably ignited by the propellant flash activating a pyrotechnic delay system. It weighed 45.50 kilograms or 100.33 pounds and was fitted with either a E1 AZ fuze and a Bd Z R to act as the nose and base fuzes or a Dopp S/90 to act as the nose fuze and a separate percussion fuze.
  • The 15 cm Sprgr 42 TS, standing for 15 centimeters Spreng Granate 42 Treibspiengel, was an experimental discarding sabot high-explosive round. The subprojectile was 12.7 cm in diameter, though I have found claims of it being 12.8 cm elsewhere, with thin walls and a shallow curvature from the nose to the shoulder. The base was streamlined with three-piece discarding rings located at the shoulder and the base and the base carrying a metal driving band. It was filled with 4.05 kilograms or 8.93 pounds of cast TNT and weighed 29.60 kilograms or 65.27 pounds. It used an AZ 23 fuze.
  • The 15 cm Splitter-Beton Granate was in the process of being created when the war ended. The fuze and weight of the round were unknown, while postwar investigation revealed that the design was to have a thin metal body enclosing a concrete lining where metal projectiles would be fitted. It was to be filled with a low-grade explosive and the intention was that the detonation of the round would produce a fragment density and intensity of comparable strength to conventional shells but costing substantially less. While the round was never produced, the design was very similar to later heavy mortar bombs.
  • The 15 cm Sprgr L/6.2m Hb, standing for 15 centimeters Spreng Granate length 6.2m Haube, was an experimental long-range shell, similar to the Splitter, that was in the process of being created when the war ended. The fuze and weight were not known. It was to be 930 millimeters in length, hence the 6.2 calibers, and so stabilization by spin would be ineffective. To rectify this, it was to have a hollow skirt at the end of it to give it additional drag for stabilization and would have featured a ballistic cap over the nose to give a better warhead shape.
  • The 15 cm Fluegelmine Klappleitwerk Geschoss was another experimental shell that was in the process of being created when the war ended. The fuze and weight were not known. It was a minengeschoss shell, or mine shell, with a high-capacity of TNT and an overextended length compared to its predecessors that would have required it to be stabilized by fins. These fins were to be fitted in a forged-steel rear section and opened in a jack-knife fashion to the rear after leaving the gun. A rotated sealing band mounted on ball bearings was located behind the fins.
  • The 15 cm Hl/C mit Fluegelmine Leitwerke, standing for 15 centimeters Hohladung model(?) C mit Flugemine Leitwerke, was a design similar to the prior mentioned shell. The difference was that it would have featured a hollow-charge. The only specimen acquired was found empty, as such its weight isn't known, but its fuze is a K1 AZ 40 Nb Pr.

Ian went on to also detail the propellant charges. Charges 1 to 6 were contained in artificial silk bags while charge 7 was located in a tubular silk bag at 215 millimeters long and 150 millimeters in diameter. Charge 8, the last charge, was held in a flat circular bag in 175 millimeters in diameter. Charges 1 to 6 were made by combining the artificial silk bags until the required charge was met, charge 7 replaced the prior-mentioned bags with the singular tubular bag, and charge 8 would be added last.

• The charge igniter contained 550 grams of TNT equivalent and was used with all charges.
  • Charge 1 contained 62 grams of TNT equivalent.
  • Charge 2 contained 122 grams of TNT equivalent.
  • Charge 3 contained 124 grams of TNT equivalent.
  • Charge 4 contained 208 grams of TNT equivalent.
  • Charge 5 contained 312 grams of TNT equivalent.
  • Charge 6 contained 475 grams of TNT equivalent
  • Charge 7 contained 2.39 kilograms of TNT equivalent or 2,390 grams of TNT equivalent.
  • Charge 8 contained 768 grams of TNT equivalent.

The last piece of information that he provides is that the percussion primer C/12nA was used.

Taken from Summary of NAVTECMISEU Technical Report #191-45 "Standard German Projectile Fuzes" (August 1945) by Nathan Okun

• The AZ 23v(0.8) has a discrepancy. By Ian's accounts, the AZ 23v(0.8) fuze was used in the 15 cm Gr 19, Gr 19 Stg, and Gr 19 Stg FES rounds. However, by Nathan's accounts and his research on fuzes, the A.Z. 23 m.v. (0.8), as he designates it, was only used in the 21 cm and 24 cm caliber. Taking from Nathan's account, the fuze should have a 0.8 second delay, was made of steel, and works by centrigufal bolt arming. It has two pins in action, one was a normal pin meant to hit the detonator after the 0.8 seconds have passed while a second detonator in a "graze" design hits the firing pin if a highly oblique hit occurs, probably to prevent it from falling back to Earth and causing random damages.
  • The Dopp Z S/60 has several variants. Luckily, Nathan's account provides that the S/60s (Dopp.Z S/60.) variant was used in the 15 cm Gr 19 round. It has a maximum delay of 30 seconds, implying that the timer could be set, and was made of aluminum. Ian further provides that the Dopp Z S/60, along with the AZ 23v(0.8), were also used in the Gr 19 Stg and Gr 19 Stg FES variants of the Gr 19 round.
  • The Bd Z F 15 cm Gr Be fuze was designed solely for the 15 cm Gr Be 19 as claimed by Ian and supported by Nathan. Nathan's designation for the round is Bd.Z.f 15 cm Gr. 19 Be. This same trigger was used in several other calibers, including 7.5 cm, 8.8 cm, 10 cm, 21 cm, 24 cm, 28 cm, 35 cm, and 45 cm. Like the A.Z. 23 m.v. (0.8), it worked through centrifugal force which overcomes a spring holding set of interlocked brass shutters which rotate outward one at a time to allow the firing pin to press the detonator on impact. While Nathan claims the fuze could only be between 0.001 to 0.003 seconds, Ian claims the fuze could either be set to long, short, or no delay; none of the three are given exact delays. It was made of steel.
  • The K1 AZ 40 Nb fuze was used in the Gr 39 FES Hl and the Gr 38 Nb round by Ian's account, however there appears to be a confusion in the designations. Nathan accounts something different, the K1 fuze doesn't exist. Instead, the kl.A.Z. 40 Nb fuze does which was used in a '15cm Gr.38 Nb. HEAT'. However, the Gr 38 Nb is a smoke round and not a HEAT round, meaning either that Nathan is wrong about the name of the fuze, what it was used on, or that Ian is wrong about what the Gr 39 FES Hl is or what the Gr 38 Nb (claim is smoke round) is, or what fuze it was. Due to Nathan claiming the 'Gr.38 Nb' is a HEAT round, despite the 'Nb' designation meaning Nebel or fog in German, the smoke round designation, I will say that the kl.A.Z. 40 Nb fuze is the same as the K1 AZ 40 Nb fuze and was used in the Gr 39 FES Hl round, not the Gr 38 NB round. As an extension of this, Nathan also claims a variant of the fuze was in existence called the kl.A.Z. 40 Nb. Pr. fuze, also used by the 'Gr.38 Nb', I will say was also used on the Gr 39 FES Hl. Neither of the fuzes featured delays from Nathan's account with the only difference being that the 40 Nb. is made of aluminum and the 40 Nb.Pr. is made of plastic. It appears that Nathan became confused somewhere in translating the original German reports. While I trust that his name is corrected, I trust that it is also the same as the 'K1 AZ 40 Nb' and that it was used in both the Gr 39 FES Hl HEAT and the Gr 38 Nb smoke rounds. The fuze itself didn't feature a delay, was made of aluminum, and armed by centrifugal force.
  • The K1 AZ 40 Nb Pr fuze was used in the Gr 39 FES Hl/A and the Gr Hl/C rounds by Ian's account but had the same confusion as the K1 AZ 40 Nb. Nathan designated it as the kl.A.Z. 40 Nb. Pr. fuze, also used in the '15cm Gr.38 Nb HEAT', but Ian is more likely accurate in his account of claiming it was used by the Gr 39 FES Hl/A and Gr Hl/C. It was the same as the 40 Nb. fuze except that instead of being made out of aluminum it was made out of plastic.
  • The AZ 23 Nb fuze was used in the 15 cm Gr 19 Nb round and is designated A.Z. 23 Nb. by Nathan. It was armed by centrifugal force and activated by direct action. As the hammer, it used a long wooden rod with a manual safety pin. It featured no delay and was made of aluminum.
  • The E1 AZ fuze was used in the R Gr 19 FES round by Ian's account, but Nathan doesn't have any information on the fuze and I was unable to find it anywhere online. 
  • The Bd Z R fuze was used in the R Gr 19 FES round by Ian's account, but Nathan doesn't have any information on the fuze and I was unable to find it anywhere online.
  • The Dopp S/90 fuze was used in the R Gr 19 FES round by Ian's account and Nathan only claims that the 15 cm Spr.Gr used the S/90/45. fuze. I will assume that the Dopp.Z. S/90/45, Nathan's designation, was used for the round which gave the round a maximum of a 45 second delay and was made of steel. However, it could also be the Dopp.Z S/90F. that would give it a maximum of a 90 second delay, but Nathan claims that it was only used in 17 cm and 21 cm caliber guns.
  • The AZ 23 fuze was used in the Sprgr 42 TS round by Ian's account but Nathan has no information on which AZ 23 fuze it was. I would guess that it is the AZ 23v(0.8) fuze as mentioned earlier, but I am not certain enough to say so for sure.

Summary

The Hummel has access to all of these rounds, excluding the experimental ones, but most likely only used the HE, HEAT, and bunker-busting/anti-concrete rounds. I will try to find out what rounds they exactly carried to the best of my extent, but this is here as data on the gun and its ammunition.

German Artillery of World War Two, page 65 to page 67, by Ian V. Hogg

Summary of NAVTECMISEU Technical Report #191-45 "Standard German Projectile Fuzes" (August 1945), by Nathan Okun, www,navweaps.com

Edited by Necro_Vin
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal