More options for Engine Controls

Hi there!

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this suggestion so i decided to play it safe and put it here.

A couple of years ago or so, it was possible to select engines using keys (e.g 1,2,3,4) without going into MEC. This could be done in any mode and was easy to do. All engine controls started in the "Off" mode until they were turned on by pressing one of the respective keys. 

This was a very useful tool in the event of an (or multiple) engine fires. The burning engine's controls could be switched on and the engine stopped with a press of just 2 buttons without going into MEC and having to deal with radiator's etc and could also be done in arcade. This required little effort and took just a couple of seconds.

As has been for maybe a couple of years now however, the system has changed. Now a player must first go into MEC and deselect all engines the player doesn't want to stop and only then can he stop the engine. This takes away valuable seconds in which the engine fire can be put out. Additionally, going into MEC gives you control of all the radiators and coolants. This isn't such a problem because you can simply revert back to Automatic Engine Control after the engine(s) have been cut but certain features (such as feathering the prop of a dead engine) are only available in MEC and cancel themselves when reverting back to automatic control. Engines can also now not be selectively killed in Arcade mode as MEC isn't available here and all engines must instead be killed, causing a player to lose valuable speed and thus altitude unnecessarily.

For players like me who don't want to have to fiddle around with radiators, propeller pitch etc in a fight but still want to be able to start and stop individual engines, this is very inconvenient. Would it be possible to see a come-back (or an edited version) of the old controls for people who don't want to use MEC?

Thanks for your time!

Edited by SAUBER_KH7
Edited title to be more clear
  • Like 1

+1 supported

additional it would be nice if we could have back that ENG off is eng. off instead of the automated restart multiple times.

If one turns the ignition off for an eng that was in the past the same as cutting the eng from the fuel pump too.

Therefor the eng. was unable to restart without pressing Ignition key again to start the fuel pump.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 31/05/2019 at 01:44, SAUBER_KH7 said:

Open for Discussion.:salute:

I edited the title to be more clear.

Thanks! Got worried because i couldn't find this thread again but managed to find it via my activity. I'll make sure to remember to turn on notifications next time :P 

On 31/05/2019 at 04:33, NO_DRAGON said:

+1 supported

additional it would be nice if we could have back that ENG off is eng. off instead of the automated restart multiple times.

If one turns the ignition off for an eng that was in the past the same as cutting the eng from the fuel pump too.

Therefor the eng. was unable to restart without pressing Ignition key again to start the fuel pump.

I'm a little confused. Does cutting an engine currently not cut the fuel to the engine too?

Edited by KurolusRex

7 hours ago, NO_DRAGON said:

I am not sure, I just mention it cause in some cases the Engines automatically jump back to life instead staying off.

That sounds like a Bug. I've encountered that issue where even if the instructor is off, engines will turn back on even though I turned them off than cut the throttle to zero.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

14 minutes ago, SAUBER_KH7 said:

That sounds like a Bug. I've encountered that issue where even if the instructor is off, engines will turn back on even though I turned them off than cut the throttle to zero.

Hmmmm. I've experienced this before i think but i always assumed it was because i cut the engine with the throttle still open but i guess that's a possibility too.

I often have that in my Bombers mostly JU 88 A-4 and JU 288c but also in the ME 264 when cutting throttle and ignition for the eng. that they jump straight back to live. which is Irritation at least when trying to cut them for deeper dive angles and/or losing speed in the last bits of approach.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 11 months later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As with the new multifunctional key this now is way easier to do,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions.:salute: