JGSDF M16 MGMC

JGSDF M16 MGMC  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the M16 MGMC implemented in the Japanese Ground Forces Tree?

• Yes
    • No (explain)
  2. 2. How should the M16 MGMC be implemented in the Japanese Ground Forces Tree?

• Regular Tree
    • Premium
    • Event Vehicle

JGSDF M16 MGMC

ogoWm6A.jpg

Introduction & History:

Prior to the establishment of the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force in July of 1954 the Japanese were delegated with a security force called the "National Safety Force" (1952-1954).  Similar in function to a national police they were trained by American officers and equipped with American military equipment including most firearms and uniforms. Limited under treaty from building their own military designs Japan sought assistance from the US to provide its heavy equipment. In particular Japanese personnel were supplied with 168 M16 half-tracks for logistical needs but also close infantry support. M45 turrets with quad .50 cal mountings were supplied from surplus American stocks and fitted to the vehicles. Under the 1st District Force (NSF) the first anti-air units were comprised using the "hand-me down" M16s. These vehicles would pass into the JGSDF in 1954 and serve until 1974 when deemed obsolete for their primary purpose. Overall the M16 MGMC would make a fine addition to the Japanese Ground Forces Tree reinforcing its SPAA line at low tier and providing players with a better alternative to some of Japan's lacking indigenous designs.

Specifications:

Virtually identical to the American model in-game. The only differences are the unit markers on the front and back of the vehicle which are written in Japanese.

HeKgKgj.jpg

Sources:

Spoiler

Edited by Private_Wolk
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Like 1

• Technical Moderator

Yes, we need M16!

this vehicle will fill the blank of Japanese SPAA tree!

Edit

In that time there are four District Force (≒Division) and all district forces had one artillery regiment. Each regiment contain one anti-aircraft artillery battalion as 2nd District Force so I guess in 1950s M16s deployed on below:

•5th Battalion of 61st Artillery Regiment of 1st District Force (now: 1st Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion of 1st Division)

•5th Battalion of 62nd Artillery Regiment of 2nd District Force (now: 2nd Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion of 2nd Division)

•5th Battalion of 63rd Artillery Regiment of 3rd District Force (now: 3rd Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion of 3rd Division)

•5th Battalion of 64th Artillery Regiment of 4th District Force (now: 4th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion of 4th Division)

Also before NSF there are “National Police Reserve” (also known “Japan Police Reserve Corps”, 1950-52). 

Edited by aizenns
  • Like 3

As Sad As It Is For Adding This To Low Tier Japan, And Personally Not Wanting It, It's Simply Needed For Japan's SPAA Tree. It's Lacking, Bare Boned And Has Big BR Gaps. 

+1 For Necessity 

Ps: I Voted No Out Of A Personal Standing Against Low Tier "Modern" Equipment & It Being Copy Paste. Yet I Fully Stand Behind The Point That Japan Needs More SPAA.

Edited by ShimakazeChan
Reason For No
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

i think the Japanese need better SPAA to fill the gap between the So-Ki and M42. but i do not fill the M16 or M15a1 is a good option. i think the Ka-Mi with the 25mm guns on the rear deck should be a better option. moving the So-Ki to rank 2, adding the Ka-Mi rank 3 and a BR a bit higher, around 4.0 and it's good. but in wich case, i do not see any space for more postwar vehicles of American design in the japanese tree (for the SPAA at least).

Edited by CaID
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator
7 hours ago, CaID said:

i think the Japanese need better SPAA to fill the gap between the So-Ki and M42. but i do not fill the M16 or M15a1 is a good option. i think the Ka-Mi with the 25mm guns on the rear deck should be a better option. moving the So-Ki to rank 2, adding the Ka-Mi rank 3 and a BR a bit higher, around 4.0 and it's good. but in wich case, i do not see any space for more postwar vehicles of American design in the japanese tree (for the SPAA at least).

That’s Ka-Mi is not SPAA. In the rear top board it have engine funnel in cruising state so it is impossible to add it.

For my eyes it seems 25 mm gun mounted after that tank destroyed.

Edited by aizenns
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Suggestion Moderator

+1 Though sharing a BR with the So-Ki, the quad .50's would provide an alternative SPAAG weapon system for Japan. With its high ROF, and superior ballistics complementing the slower firing, harder hitting So-Ki.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

well it's a no for me, sure Japan need more SPAA but the M15 and M16 are both 2.3 and for the Japanese SPAA we have already one at 1.7 good enough to use until 3.3, the gap issue is more between So Ki and M42 (somebody already proposed the M19) and most importantly between the M42 and Type 87 (on that one I don't know if sombody proposed something or not, and if there is a solution to adress this issue)

Edited by Abaddon75
  • Sad 1
medal medal

• Technical Moderator
On 1/24/2021 at 1:59 AM, Abaddon75 said:

well it's a no for me, sure Japan need more SPAA but the M15 and M16 are both 2.3 and for the Japanese SPAA we have already one at 1.7 good enough to use until 3.3, the gap issue is more between So Ki and M42 (somebody already proposed the M19) and most importantly between the M42 and Type 87 (on that one I don't know if sombody proposed something or not, and if there is a solution to adress this issue)

Perhaps prototype of Type 87 AW, “AW-X” will be good. Hull of Type 61 TK + prototype turret with radar and twin 35 mm AA guns.

• 1 month later...
On 25/01/2021 at 14:13, aizenns said:

Perhaps prototype of Type 87 AW, “AW-X” will be good. Hull of Type 61 TK + prototype turret with radar and twin 35 mm AA guns.

that could be a good idea but I guess it retain the radar system? if it does I'm afraid it would be at the same br than the Type 87 so always nice to see but not that needed :/

medal medal

On 24/03/2021 at 11:07, Abaddon75 said:

that could be a good idea but I guess it retain the radar system? if it does I'm afraid it would be at the same br than the Type 87 so always nice to see but not that needed :/

Iirc the AWX only mounts a tracking radar and doesn't have a search radar, so it would operate similar to the M163 and Sidam. Drop both of those down to 7.7 and add the AWX along side them and I think that would allow enough of a reason to have the AWX. Then again we are still missing the SUB-I-2 as a potential 4.0 SPAA which would be an even better gap filler.

Either way +1 on the M16

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the JGSDF M16 has been implemented with update 2.9 Direct Hit,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions. :salute: