M42 Prototype with T50 Radar

M42 Prototype with T50 Radar  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the M42 prototype with T50 Radar implemented in War Thunder?

• Yes
    • No (explain)
  2. 2. How should the M42 Prototype with T50 Radar be implemented in the American Ground Forces Tree?

• Regular Tree
    • Premium
    • Event Vehicle
    • I said no

M42 Prototype with T50 Radar 

YdgkFSr.jpg

Introduction:

In the mid 1950s the US Army looked to improve the performance of the M42 Duster SPAA which was rapidly falling into obsolescence. The WW2 era Bofors 40mm guns were found to be too slow to engage transonic jet fighter aircraft and there was little funding for a replacement system at the time. In June of 1956 Army engineers developed a stop gap solution with an M42 prototype using a T50 dual-purpose search and tracking radar under the Raduster program. It would prove ultimately unsuccessful in testing and with costs mounting the project was abandoned in February 1958. No further modifications were made to the M42 Duster's fire control system for the remainder of its service life.

What we can expect in War Thunder:

The M42 Prototype with T50 radar has the potential to revolutionize the way players currently think about the M42 Duster. Its new radar capabilities can drastically improve firing accuracy and help players give their teams the strong anti-CAS support they desperately need in battle. The M42 is also equipped with a new 500 horsepower fuel-injection engine increasing all around vehicle acceleration and handling.

M42 Prototype specifications:

Dimensions 5.82 x3.23 x2.85 m (19.1 x10.7 x9.4 ft)
Total weight, battle ready 24.8 tons
Crew 4-6 (driver, cdr, gunners, pointers, loader)
Propulsion 6 cylinder AOSI-895-5 fuel injection gasoline 500 hp 
Suspension Torsion bar & shocks absorbers
Speed (road) 72 km/h (45 mph)
Range 160 km (100 mi)
Armament

2x 40mm M2A1 336 rds, Coaxial mounted M1919A4 machine gun 

Armor 9 to 25 mm front (0.35-1 in)

Sources:

Spoiler

Edited by WayOfTheWolk
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

something to brige gap with M163 and maybe allow to lower other 40mm SPAA.

it dosen't have full on search radar with is similar to M163 while still retaining all M42 weaknesses.

Edited by arczer25
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

• Technical Moderator

Much yes, I'd love to see this in game one-day.

*Duck and cover before the horde comes to say Germany will suffer from this*

This could be a nice addition to the spaa family and greatly improving low ranking spaa as the other nations pretty much have easy mode anti air, and the m19 and duster require great accurate shots that take time to master.

Some radar guidance or tracking could be handy. Excellent suggestions I say. 

tenor.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This would be great! Not only would the Raduster be a great bridge between M42 and M163, it could also allow the standard M42 to be lowered in BR somewhat, since it's only as high as it is right now because it needs to fit at T4 directly between M19 and M163. In part because it has no radar to make its guns easier to aim, the standard M42 struggles a fair bit at 6.7, where tanks are too tough to easily pierce and the planes are too fast to easily hit with such slow-firing guns; with Raduster somewhere like 7.3, M42 could drop to a BR more fitting of its actual characteristics, like 6.3, 6.0 or even (if you wanted to be really nice to US players) 5.7. In any case, this vehicle is badly needed as something to accompany T5 US tanks, which currently have to rely on the M19 & M42's dubious AA capabilities or the excellent, but AA-only, M16.

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
On 04/08/2019 at 09:08, Private_Wolk said:

M42 Prototype with T50 Radar 

YdgkFSr.jpg

Introduction:

In the mid 1950s the US Army looked to improve the performance of the M42 Duster SPAA which was rapidly falling into obsolescence. The WW2 era Bofors 40mm guns were found to be too slow to engage transonic jet fighter aircraft and there was little funding for a replacement system at the time. In June of 1956 Army engineers developed a stop gap solution with an M42 prototype using a T50 dual-purpose search and tracking radar under the Raduster program. It would prove ultimately unsuccessful in testing and with costs mounting the project was abandoned in February 1958. No further modifications were made to the M42 Duster's fire control system for the remainder of its service life.

What we can expect in War Thunder:

The M42 Prototype with T50 radar has the potential to revolutionize the way players currently think about the M42 Duster. Its new radar capabilities can drastically improve firing accuracy and help players give their teams the strong anti-CAS support they desperately need in battle. The M42 is also equipped with a new 500 horsepower fuel-injection engine increasing all around vehicle acceleration and handling.

M42 Prototype specifications:

Dimensions 5.82 x3.23 x2.85 m (19.1 x10.7 x9.4 ft)
Total weight, battle ready 24.8 tons
Crew 4-6 (driver, cdr, gunners, pointers, loader)
Propulsion 6 cylinder AOSI-895-5 fuel injection gasoline 500 hp 
Suspension Torsion bar & shocks absorbers
Speed (road) 72 km/h (45 mph)
Range 160 km (100 mi)
Armament

2x 40mm M2A1 336 rds, Coaxial mounted M1919A4 machine gun 

Armor 9 to 25 mm front (0.35-1 in)

Sources:

Reveal hidden contents

++++++1

medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In all honesty, I think it should be 5.7, CAS for most of the game is a really headache to deal with and whil the M19 is at 5.0 I think we should throw our tankers a bit of a bone on this one and make it in the 5.0-6.3 range of AA guns, the M42 and the M19 already have wonkey hit mechanics at times(when it comes to the damage model against planes).

If this makes it to these BR,s I would be happy since it would make tankers lives eaiser against aircraft, CAS can really really ruin peoples days sometimes.

Edited by Iron_flame
medal

54 minutes ago, Iron_flame said:

In all honesty, I think it should be 5.7, CAS for most of the game is a really headache to deal with and whil the M19 is at 5.0 I think we should throw our tankers a bit of a bone on this one and make it in the 5.0-6.3 range of AA guns, the M42 and the M19 already have wonkey hit mechanics at times(when it comes to the damage model against planes).

If this makes it to these BR,s I would be happy since it would make tankers lives eaiser against aircraft, CAS can really really ruin peoples days sometimes.

With that BR, are you thinking of this as an upgrade for the existing BR 6.0 M42? 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Yes, but the M42 duster is already too high of a BR if vehicles preform based on their BR and I think the M19 Already preforms kinda poorly for its BR. So with the M42 duster only having one advantage over the M19, which is its engine power. I object to the Radar version being 7.3 and instead think it would fit at 6.0-6.3  or maybe the same BR as the Kugelblitz.

medal

• 3 months later...

we have so many spaa between M42 and M163 .with M42 having slow firing cannons, even fighters have 50% of not taking a hit, even if they fly toward the line of fire which will make you press j for entire match . 

Edited by ACOMETS
medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

This suggestion has been passed to the developers for consideration :salute:

• Like 1