CaID

should the Leopard 2-140 be added to the game  

240 members have voted

1. 1. should the Leopard 2-140 be added to the game

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes as premium or gift

germany_flag_by_think0-d9nwirq.png

I would like to suggest the ULTIMATE leopard 2 in term of firepower, the Leopard-2-140

140mm.jpg

The Leopard 2-140 was nothing less than a prototype of the Leopard 2 with a 140mm Rheinmetal gun. the purpose of this up-grade was to face the Russian treat of the Soviet union that was rumoured to fit 135mm and 152mm gun on MBT. the project of the late 80 was to built a tank with the capacity to destroy any tanks in a single shot. the 140mm gun was having the potential to double kinetic power of the 120mm shell of the time.

a single prototype was built and successfully tested in early 90s. but the project was cancel in 1995 with the change of the political situation (fall of USSR) and the 140mm armed leopard 2 was never push into production in favour of the 120mm tanks.

The Leopard 2-140 was a design of the program named KWS III. the tank was fitted with a new turret with the 140mm gun. the gun himself was repported to have a velocity of 2000 m/second (wich is very high velocity) with the 140mm shell (type unknown). the tank was carrying 32 shells which is 10 less than the regular leopard 2. the shell was also too heavy to be handle by hand. an auto-loader was so installed and the crew reduced to 3 (loader removed). to fit the auto-loader, the gun was moved a bit off on the left to provide enought space for the loader to be installed to the right. the turret was powered by an electro-hydraulic which was later used on the new model of the Leopard 2 (A4, A5, A6, A7)

npzk140mmamo.jpg

the crew was protected by armoured capsule and ballistic protection which improving the protection to the level of the Leopard 2A5.

initially 650 Leopard 2-140 was planed to production but the project was cancelled in 1995. the german stubborness to avoid the auto-loader, that they consider not reliable in battle, had favoured the 120mm gun. the 140mm gun was tested with and without auto-loader in the early 90s with mixed result and the experimentation was been shared and reused by the French company GIAT and English company Royal Ordonance with the collaboration of Rheinmetal for the development of other heavy calibre tank gun.

Specifications
Mass ~62.3 tonnes
Length ~9.97 metres
Width ~3.75 m (148 in)
Height ~ 3.0 m (120 in)
Crew 3  

Armour equivalent to the Leopard 2A5
Main
armament
1× NPzK-140 140mm gun (32 shell)
Secondary
armament
7.62 mm MG3A1[1] (4,750 rounds)
Engine MTU MB 873 Ka-501 liquid-cooled V12 twin-turbo diesel engine
1,500 PS (1,479 hp, 1,103 kW) at 2,600 rpm
Power/weight 24.1 PS/t (17.7 kW/t)
Transmission Renk HSWL 354
Suspension Torsion bar suspension
Fuel capacity 1,200 litres (264 imperial gallons; 317 US gallons)[4]
Operational
range
550 km (340 mi) (internal fuel)
Speed 68 km/h (42 mph)

source

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/vehicles-focus-leopard-2a7-140

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/europe/leopard2-140.htm

Edited by CaID
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 11
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

• Technical Moderator

Would be a very interesting alternative to the Leopard 2A5! +1 :yes_yes_yes:

On 30/08/2019 at 07:44, CaID said:

the shell was also too heavy to be handle by hand. an auto-loader was so installed and the crew reduced to 3 (loader removed). to fit the auto-loader, the gun was moved a bit off on the left to provide enought space for the loader to be installed to the right

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the only prototype built did not have an autoloader, this vehicle was used as a preliminary test bed. I think the autoloader was tested, but never equipped into the prototype before the project got canceled. This would mean that the only real prototype did not have a combat effective weapon because of its extremely bad fire rate due to :

On 30/08/2019 at 07:44, CaID said:

the shell was also too heavy to be handle by hand

Can any body confirm this? I hope I am wrong. Otherwise, if we get this thing, it will have a pretty bad reload and would most likely be implemented as a premium or reward vehicle.

34 minutes ago, *gojuancamilo said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the only prototype built did not have an autoloader, this vehicle was used as a preliminary test bed. I think the autoloader was tested, but never equipped into the prototype before the project got canceled. This would mean that the only real prototype did not have a combat effective weapon because of its extremely bad fire rate due to :

Can any body confirm this? I hope I am wrong. Otherwise, if we get this thing, it will have a pretty bad reload and would most likely be implemented as a premium or reward vehicle.

Looking throught my Book on the Leopard2 i could only find a concept drawing of KWS III*. This changed the Turret layout, essentialy cutting away a portion of the loaders side while moving the cannon slightly off center. other than that i dont see any other images or writen text about it apart from a mention that it got cancled.

Spoiler

Bild 14: Konzept K3 der KWS* Stuffe III mit 140 mm PzK und Ladeautomat.
Picture 14: Concept K3 of the KWS* Stage III with 140 mm Tank Cannon and Autoloader.

photo_2019-09-02_13-52-11.thumb.jpg.16f7

*KWS = Kampfwertsteigerung, Increased Combat value

3 Project were known under this designation
KWS I was suposed to increase the firepower -> L55 cannon and modern amo LKE1(DM43) LKE2(DM53)

KWS II was meant to upgrade Protection -> Leopard2A5

KWS III was meant to incrase the overall combat value of the vehicle -> Leopard2 140 (canceled)

Edited by JohnF0X

10 minutes ago, JohnF0X said:

Looking throught my Book on the Leopard2 i could only find a concept drawing of KWS III*. This changed the Turret layout, essentialy cutting away a portion of the loaders side while moving the cannon slightly off center. other than that i dont see any other images or writen text about it apart from a mention that it got cancled.

Hide contents

Picture 14: Concept K3 of the KWS* Stage III with 140 mm Tank Cannon and Autoloader.

photo_2019-09-02_13-52-11.thumb.jpg.16f7

*KWS = Kampfwertsteigerung, Increased Combat value

3 Project were known under this designation
KWS I was suposed to increase the firepower -> L55 cannon and modern amo LKE1(DM43) LKE2(DM53)

KWS II was meant to upgrade Protection -> Leopard2A5

KWS III was meant to incrase the overall combat value of the vehicle -> Leopard2 140 (canceled)

Looks like from the Future (is it written that way?) 

medal

34 minutes ago, Ghostmaxi said:

Looks like from the Future (is it written that way?) 

45 minutes ago, JohnF0X said:

esentialy me describing what i see.

if i go back a few pages its talking about KWS Stage III which is talking about the specs requried and that it got canceled during a meeting in 1995.

This is for the picture specificly

there realy isnt much about this specific model in my book which is a bit sad but understandable, a lot of the tech used is propably still clasified and for a what, 250 page book? its not that important realy. i mean it already talked about everything from the leasons learned in the leo 1 over the prototypes for the leo2, productin of the vehicles up to the different variants and upgrades. this is just a prototype that got cancled fairly early in its development

Definetly worth a read if you understand german

photo_2019-09-01_16-20-42.thumb.jpg.6794

Edited by JohnF0X

24 minutes ago, JohnF0X said:

talked about everything from the leasons learned in the leo 1 over the prototypes for the leo2, productin of the vehicles up to the different variants and upgrades

Very interesting book, have you seen any other vehicle/variant that is not already suggested in the forums? Or maybe something for a new mechanic?

32 minutes ago, *gojuancamilo said:

Very interesting book, have you seen any other vehicle/variant that is not already suggested in the forums? Or maybe something for a new mechanic?

in the section of modernisation and upgrades there are the variants A0-A4 with several variants getting upgrades as the production progreses, as such the A3 produced from 84-85 lacked digital components that the A3s received in the factory betwen 85 and 87 aswell as the later A3 variant recevied fire supresion equipment in the fighting compartment
then we have the KWS series, those beeing the Leopard 2A5 and later the A6 and their Prototype/ Test vehicles "TVM"(Truppen Versuchsmuster) esentialy Trial vehicles that were used in the bundeswehr.
A6M (mine protected)
the already mentioned KWS III
and then export vehicles and how they differ to the german models

Prototypes Leo2AV and 2K

The book mostly goes into the prototyping and production of the original Leopard2, the modernisations are on the last 20 pages total. its not the most up to date book either so lacks more recent versions in form of the 2A7

Either way this is off topic now

Edited by JohnF0X
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.