Helicopter warning device for Begleitpanzer 57

gojuancamilo@psn

Helicopter warning device for Begleitpanzer 57  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Begleitpanzer 57 get its helicopter warning device?

• Yes
    • No (why not?)

The Begleitpanzer is currently an “underdog” compared to other similar vehicles from other nations. There are a couple of aspects that could be fixed to improve this vehicle’s performance.

• Helicopter warning device
  • New ammunition for the 57mm bofors - proximity fuze (bug report passed)
  • Multiple ammo feed for the 57mm bofors (bug report passed)

Helicopter warning device

The begleitpanzer was “designed primarily to combat enemy armored infantry fighting vehicles and combat helicopters”. Currently, the vehicle can barely combat helicopters using its ATGM and lucky hits with the 57mm. 

In real life the begleitpanzer had two features to help it combat enemy helicopters. Firstly, it was equipped with a “An opto-optical helicopter warning sensor from Zeiss, mounted on the roof of the weapon tower so that it can be extended telescopically. It makes it possible to discover and identify helicopters. The display is located at the commander.” This device should give warnings of nearby helicopters and assist in spotting them. I could not find any info on how exactly this device works. Although I suspect its very simmilar to the optical system on the Stormer HVM. Secondly, the vehicle was able to fire “special ammunition with proximity fuze”. We currently do not have access to this shell type but a bug report has already been made.

Thanks to @Tivoru for finding the following documents:

qJlzc.png

YOMXj5F.png

48d4d8334a8d74b44a81f92e349a78fb30737c48

Other aspects the begleitpanzer is currently missing:

• New ammunition for the 57mm bofors - proximity fuze (already made a bug report)
  • Multiple ammo feed for the 57mm bofors - ability to switch between ammo types without having to go through reload process. (already made a bug report)

The following document, directly made by the company which developed the Begeitpanzer (Tyssen Henschel), contains the relevant info to support this suggestion (helicopter warning device) and the previously mentioned bug reports. It is in german but I translated it using an automatic app. Despite this, a native german speaker should go through it. I'll also attach the translated version for those of you curious english speakers, it has the relevant segments for these suggestions highlighted.

Begleitpanzer 57.pdf

Begleitpanzer 57 german article translation.pdf

Thanks for your time, please make any suggestions or observations. Please comment on anything you consider relevant for me to add and point out if I made any mistakes (specially regarding the translation).

Edited by gojuancamilo@psn
  • Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

Would be a nice addition for the Begleitpanzer and a very unique addition that would make it stand out from the rest.

They could model it as a ingame radar for helicopters only, with no lock on function something similar to passive radar. 

On a side note I noticed that it had access to thermal sights yet its not available in game ?:( 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

I found photography of the Begleitpanzer 57 with installed Helicopter Warning Device:

34f749063e98e3969af9baddf2cbc5b7.jpg.14c

qJlzc.png

Hubschrauber-Warngerät (sensor):

YOMXj5F.png

48d4d8334a8d74b44a81f92e349a78fb30737c48

Source: https://u.teknik.io/Rfs1i.pdf

This sensor probably worked similarly to the ADAD (Air Defence Alerting Device) from Stormer HVM.

Edited by Tivoru
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

if the device has to be extended for it to function(which is how i currently understand it works) i don't think it should be modeled in game being in my mind comparable to the ability of the M3 Bradley and M551 Sheridan to float. it can be done but only under certain non-battlefield conditions.
however i might not properly understand how the device works.

Edited by *TheLastYouSee__
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...
On 04/11/2019 at 05:31, TheLastYouSee__@psn said:

if the device has to be extended for it to function(which is how i currently understand it works) i don't think it should be modeled in game being in my mind comparable to the ability of the M3 Bradley and M551 Sheridan to float. it can be done but only under certain non-battlefield conditions.
however i might not properly understand how the device works.

It could most likely be done from inside the vehicle, quite similar to Radar guided SPAA like Otomatic or Gepard, if you disable the Radar (or search device, in this case), it gets retracted

medal

• 2 months later...

How this sitll not implemented??? boys we are in 2021 now...

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...