Challenger 2 TES (Megatron)

duckmartin

15491991771894018936059953294578.jpg

Britain.

Greetings there I would like to suggest in adding the challenger 2 TES (Megatron) as a new researchable vehicle at the top of the British groundforces tree.

Challenger_2-Megatron_MOD_45161542.jpg?w

information on challenger 2 TES (Megatron).

the challenger 2 TES (theatre entry kit) which is nicknamed Megaton is the latest upgraded version of challenger 2. the challenger 2 TES Megatron is very similar to the M1 Abrams Tusk (Tank urban survival kit) in terms of protection. The test system was developed to increase the protection of the tank against tandem warheads and IEDS. The challenger 2 TES Megatron was first presented in June 2013 at a defence event in Millbrook.

Challenger_2_TES_MBT_Megatron_main_battl

But on June 2016 a new version of challenger 2 megatron was shown off in bovington at the tank fest. Which it was fitted with a new armour design.

The latest version is fitted with a combination of passive , reactive and bar armour providing protection against new threats .

challenger 2 megatron can be fitted with variable armour configurations depending on the threat and it can weighy from 65 to 74.8 tonnes. And due to this additional weight they had to introduce a new hydrogas suspension and the Challenger 2E 1500HP engine which even with the additional weight it increased its overall mobility but to what extent is unknown.

Challenger_2-Megatron_MOD_45161272.jpg?w

So in this picture above you can see challenger 2 megatron which has its MCS (Mobile Camouflage System)  system on it. Which helps it to stay invisible to thermal imaging devices. Also you will notice on the top right of the challenger 2 megatron roof you can see a remote controlled machine gun which is called Goalkeeper which is capable of mounting a 7.62 , 12.7 are a 40mm automatic grenade launcher. This system (Goalkeeper) also has an thermal imaging sight and it is capable of traversing 360 degs.

Armour.

so from one of my previous suggestions on an armour upgrade pack for challenger 2.

I roughly estimated what sort of protection the add-on armour kit would add to challenger 2 and what its add-on armor kit is made up of. And the reason I bring this up is because challenger 2 megatron does uses some bits from this add-on armour kit like the bar armour around the side and rear of the turret and hull it also uses Dorchester armoured blocks but it has the new upgraded Dorchester level 2I add-on armour blocks and at the front of the tanks hull pacifically the LFP there is a massive Dorchester armored block on it which is the new Dorchester level 2I. And with this on the lfp it would increases the protection by quite a bit since it is the latest version of Dorchester armour.

Armour thickness.

LFP - Dorchester level 2I block 350/400mm thick.

Side Hull - has a 30mm RHA back plate with 300mm Dorchester level 2I armored blocks.

side turret - 300mm thick Dorchester level 2I blocks.

side to rear hull and turret - 30mm bar armour.

Armour Values.

LFP - KE 370/450mm - CE 900/1000mm

side hull including the 30mm RHA plate - KE at least 255/277mm - CE 850/900mm

side turret - KE 255/277mm - 850/900mm

side to rear hull and turret - KE 30mm - CE unknown but I would assume it could protect against most chemical ammunition in game but only once. Usually after the bar Armour gets hit it is usually destroyed so a second round would pen.

stats.

Main Gun - 120mm L30A1

Elevation and depression - +20 and -10

secondary - 1 coaxial 7.62 and a roof mounted Goalkeeper system with ether a 7.62 , 12.7mm are an automatic 40mm grenade launcher

ammunition - 42 - 120mm

rounds and 4200 rounds 7.62

Engine - MTU MT883 V12 1500HP

transmission - TN54

Suspension - upgradedy Hydrogas suspension

Top speed - Is unknown but it Can exceed 37mph

crew - 4

Different add-on armour packages for Megatron.

Challenger 2 TES (Megatron) uses multiple different types of add-on armour kits for different situations. currently as off my current information there is at least four different types of add-on armour packs for Challenger 2 Megatron.

1. (TES) "Theatre entry kit" - Dorchester level 2F armoured blocks around the side hull with 30 mm RHA plate behind it and level 2F on the side Turret with big block of Dorchester level 2F on the lfp and bar armour around the side and rear Hull and turret. 

2. Dorchester level 2I armored block on the lfp and also Dorchester level 2I armored blocks on the side of the turret and on the lower part off the side hull with massive ERA bricks on the side Hull with a 30 mm RHA backplate with bar armour around the side and rear turret and hull but with no MCS (mobile camouflage system).

3. Dorchester level 2I armored block on the lfp and also Dorchester level 2I armored blocks on the side of the turret and on the lower part off the side hull with massive ERA bricks on the side Hull with a 30 mm RHA backplate with bar armour around the side and rear turret and hull but with MCS (mobile camouflage system).

4. Dorchester level 2I armored block on the lfp and also Dorchester level 2I armored blocks on the side of the turret and hull with with a 30 mm RHA backplate with bar armour around the side and rear turret and hull and it also has the MCS (mobile camouflage system).

Information from challenger 2 books.

20190906_205300.jpg

20190906_210024.jpg?width=529&height=737

20190906_210004.jpg?width=525&height=738

20190906_205938.jpg?width=511&height=738

20190906_205909.jpg?width=531&height=739

20190906_210108.jpg?width=537&height=738

20190906_210039.jpg?width=510&height=738

20190906_210730.jpg?width=495&height=739

20190908_173553.jpg?width=519&height=737

20190908_173234.jpg?width=489&height=737

20190908_173318.jpg?width=498&height=737

20190908_173406.jpg?width=489&height=737

Reason.

I think this would be a great addition to the game if implemented properly. it would be a good counter to thermal imagine and it would also give challenger 2 better protection against kinetic but mostly better protection against chemical ammunition and it would have slightly better mobility as well. But people who have had experiences with challenger 2 knows that it has plenty of issues like the weak LFP the lack of mobility and the lack of add-on armour kits and other issues. so if this ever gets added it would fix all of those issues plus it would add a countermeasure to thermal imagine with its MCS and it could possibly get access to L27A1 , L28A1 APDSFS. And I personally love this tank as it is my favourite upgraded version of challenger 2. Also if I ever find any new information on challenger 2 megatron I will update this as it is ovicily very hard to get any info this tank other than books , websites , pictures and videos but I will update this the second I get any new info.

Sources.

1st - http://fighting-vehicles.com/challenger-2-megatron/

2nd - https://www.armyrecognition.com/united_kingdom_british_army_heavy_armoured_tank_uk/challenger_2_tes_megatron_theatre_entry_standard_main_battle_tank_mbt.html

3rd - Challenger 2 main battle tank 1998 to present owners workshop manual.

4th - challenger 2 main battle tank by carl Schulz's.

5th - challenger 2 by xxxx taylor.

6th - image of war challenger 2 the British main battle tank.

Regards - duckmartin.

Edited by duckmartin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 17
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Thanks 2

Shame the MOD only does stuff when they have a kick up the backside otherwise with that dorchester block on the lfp beforehand that one soldier wouldn't have lost his toes.

I hope if the Rheinmetall challenger ever gets introduced it gets the megatron packs / even more advanced version of it and that 1600hp power pack.

• Upvote 2

Challenger Megatron is a technology demonstrator vehicle. It has many different variations, one of which mounted a 140mm rifled main gun. 

Challenger 2 Megatron in its TES (Theatre Entry Standard) form is just the technology demonstrator for the, as the name would suggest, soon to be standard variation of the normal Challenger 2, with the standard 1200hp engine and everything.

Challenger 2 Megatron is referred to across all its variations as ATDU (Advanced Technology Demonstrator Unit).

Therefore, the Challenger 2 should be given TES, and the Challenger 2 ATDU ¨Megatron¨ should be an independent vehicle, with the ability to switch to a 1500hp engine from the stock 1200, the ability to swap its L30A1 for the aforementioned unnamed 140mm rifled gun, an optional autoloader, the MCS as an upgrade, and with several optional armor packages, among other things, such as new thermal optics, an active protection system, and variable hydropneumatic suspension.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

59 minutes ago, KHEEEEENSCREAM said:

Challenger Megatron is a technology demonstrator vehicle. It has many different variations, one of which mounted a 140mm rifled main gun. 

Challenger 2 Megatron in its TES (Theatre Entry Standard) form is just the technology demonstrator for the, as the name would suggest, soon to be standard variation of the normal Challenger 2, with the standard 1200hp engine and everything.

Challenger 2 Megatron is referred to across all its variations as ATDU (Advanced Technology Demonstrator Unit).

Therefore, the Challenger 2 should be given TES, and the Challenger 2 ATDU ¨Megatron¨ should be an independent vehicle, with the ability to switch to a 1500hp engine from the stock 1200, the ability to swap its L30A1 for the aforementioned unnamed 140mm rifled gun, an optional autoloader, the MCS as an upgrade, and with several optional armor packages, among other things, such as new thermal optics, an active protection system, and variable hydropneumatic suspension.

You're correct there is so many versions of Challenger 2 Megatron. But the version that I am suggesting is the one with the 300/350mm  Dorchester level 2I block on the lfp and the 250mm Dorchester level 2I blocks with the 30mm RHA plate on the side hull and the 250mm Dorchester level 2I blocks on the side turret then also the side and rear hull and Turret has the bar armour. But I think it could be possible that Challenger 2 Megatron could receive multiple different addion armor kit upgrades for different situations depending on the threats so either you would want an armour kit to deal with more chemical threat's or or you would want one to deal with multiple threats it would all depend on what armour kit you would want to use. Plus Challenger 2 Megatron could receive an upgrade on its secondary armament since it could mount multiple different secondary weapons so you should get an option to choose what secondary armament you would want depending on the threat.

I do support this, as a separate tank, we need more chally's

What I'd like to see;
The current Chally2 with its TES Pack as an upgrade
Chally2E
Chally2 Megatron

Maybe, the proposed Chally2 Black Night, or the one with the Rheinmetall Turret & Cannon. 

PcNFhDR.jpg

Edited by HyJetV
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

+1

I think Black Night would be a good edition to.

medal medal medal medal

On 27/09/2019 at 23:53, xHDx said:

+1

I think Black Night would be a good edition to.

There is definitely plenty of Challenger 2 variance that we could have in game.

- Challenger 2

- Challenger 2E

- Challenger 2 Megatron

- Challenger 2 black Knight

- Challenger 2 streetfight ll

- Challenger 2 lEP (Rheinmetall)

Edited by duckmartin
  • Like 1

On 12/09/2019 at 22:57, duckmartin said:

and the Challenger 2E 1500HP engine

Is there a source on that?

-

I'm really quite sure that if this vehicle were implemented, it'd be quite horrendous due to it's poor mobility, (by all accounts I've seen) it is still using the 1200 hp engine.

That's a 14.38 hp/t ratio in stock conditions, we're probably looking at a vehicle that'll struggle to maintain as little as 30 km/h whilst also being almost incapable of traversing the hull whatsoever.

Furthermore, by the time that this vehicle would be implemented, it'd likely be going up against the likes of ZTZ-99A's, T-90M's and Leopard 2A6's, I don't see any of those applique packages making a diference against the ammunitions fired by such tanks.

I'm not looking forwards to that picture, I'd much rather see the Challenger 2E or Challenger 2 Rheinmetall introduced before this, the former would have the mobility whilst the latter would have an APS and the L55A1. (That doesn't mean I don't want to see it eventually though).

Edited by Necrons31467

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/09/2019 at 13:31, Necrons31467 said:

Is there a source on that?

-

I'm really quite sure that if this vehicle were implemented, it'd be quite horrendous due to it's poor mobility, (by all accounts I've seen) it is still using the 1200 hp engine.

That's a 14.38 hp/t ratio in stock conditions, we're probably looking at a vehicle that'll struggle to maintain as little as 30 km/h whilst also being almost incapable of traversing the hull whatsoever.

Furthermore, by the time that this vehicle would be implemented, it'd likely be going up against the likes of ZTZ-99A's, T-90M's and Leopard 2A6's, I don't see any of those applique packages making a diference against the ammunitions fired by such tanks.

I'm not looking forwards to that picture, I'd much rather see the Challenger 2E or Challenger 2 Rheinmetall introduced before this, the former would have the mobility whilst the latter would have an APS and the L55A1. (That doesn't mean I don't want to see it eventually though).

Just my first source.

Of all the vehicles that need to be added, this blows everything else out of the water. +1

medal

• 2 weeks later...

How should this challenger be added? A new vehicle or as a modification. In my opinion I would like to have it as a new vehicle to have a copy of challenger 2 (if it also has the improvements of ammunition and equipment).
If only the TES package is introduced, it must be added as a modification, the additional armor package would not result in an imbalance against other nations, since all rounds of higher level can go through it.

medal

23 hours ago, barto667 said:

How should this challenger be added? A new vehicle or as a modification. In my opinion I would like to have it as a new vehicle to have a copy of challenger 2 (if it also has the improvements of ammunition and equipment).
If only the TES package is introduced, it must be added as a modification, the additional armor package would not result in an imbalance against other nations, since all rounds of higher level can go through it.

As a new researchable vehicle. Also I just updated the suggestion.

Edited by duckmartin

Do we have any idea what protection values this additional armor has?
The only reference I found was referred to the challenger 1 mk3: The additional armor on the front offers immunity to all HEAT shells available by the enemy, the additional plates on the side offers immunity to all HEAT loads and automatic cannons of 20 and 30 mm. In the game they are much lower than these estimates.
If we take into account the UFP of challenger 1 and challenger 2, we see that the protection values practically double (the UFP is the part that has the same arrangement of reinforcement and thickness).
I would estimate that the NERA dorchester block of 350 mm on the front I suppose that it will not have more than 200 mm KE (maybe 150 mm?) And an EC protection close to 800 mm. For the NERA side plates it would have lower values for KE, however higher for CE due to the additional ERA. These calculations are what we currently have in the game, because it is the only thing we could calculate.

medal

Well there are multiple different addion armor kit's using different types of Dorchester Armour from level 2E to level 2I and just level 2E on its own is more better than the Chobham Armour blocks on Challenger 1 MK3 but to what extent is unknown plus Challenger 1 MK3 Chobham Armour blocks are at least 150mm thick were challenger 2 Megatron Dorchester Armour blocks on the side hull are around 200mm thick. So obviously it being thicker would increase its protection but since it is a new version of Dorchester Armour it could probably be using new composite materials in it as well. But again there is different versions of the Dorchester Armour blocks. So I can only go of the information I currently have for example am using some info from challenger 1 MK3 add-on armour kit the rest I have to try and make some educated guesses unfortunately.

3 hours ago, duckmartin said:

That is a problem. By not having information regarding approximate values in document or at least in books, developers could indicate that it has the same values as cr1 mk3. And it's not that the idea of calculating values analytically pleases him.
We could end up with a disaster equal to or worse than cr1 mk3 when all the armor was ROMOR-ERA.

medal