Additional Block Armor of Type 16 MCV

aizenns

• Technical Moderator

XEOxUPK.png

Registry number 99-0291 with additional block armor

dXsIWIM.png

registry number 99-0291 with standard additional armor

Today I find photo of Type 16 with additional armor again!

The registry number 99-0291 is first prototype of Type 16 MCV. I can't find original source of this photo but it seems very curious.

Tweet I quoted in the top says it will be ceramics armor to prevent HEAT shells, but do anyone have any information about it?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Now the question is,if it is additional armor or that the front armor was removed and changed to the block and sides got the same block of armor.

Edited by wulfalier
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Makes me wonder why these blocks are not being used  for Type 74 instead...

Edited by I_NAMELESS_I
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator
On 06/10/2019 at 19:24, wulfalier said:

I guess:

Standard-state add-on armor (≒same as in game one)

Note this is 1st prototype so there are small difference

zaS7qvb.png

Add-on block armor (only experimental?)

fOaFGbf.png

On 06/10/2019 at 20:04, I_NAMELESS_I said:

Makes me wonder why these blocks or not being used  for Type 74 instead...

It is only rumor, but some people says Ministry of Finance approve budget for new vehicle, but they don't approve budget for modification.

Well, most of Type 74 tanks will retire during the future 10 years so no need to add expensive modifications.

Edited by aizenns
  • Upvote 1

The on in the game is pretty much the one from the second image (there is no addon package), albeit the one in the image is a pre-production vehicle. The first picture is probably a very early prototype and the square armor package in front later became the more contoured one seen in the bottom image. The problem is that the "beak" is not modeled as composite in the game, but we already knew that, same goes for the turret composite wedges, all 3 parts (beak, wedges) are just named "composite screen" but offer no additional protection. If Gaijin ever fixes that, well maybe in 3 years. 

There probably are add-on armor packages for the Type 16 as all the side panels on the chassis can be replaced, probably exactly with armor packages, but those two photos don't show that. 

• Upvote 1

• Suggestion Moderator
1 hour ago, SaekoB said:

The on in the game is pretty much the one from the second image (there is no addon package), albeit the one in the image is a pre-production vehicle. The first picture is probably a very early prototype.....

Well, its the same vehicle. They are both vehicle number 99-0291, so pre-production.

14 minutes ago, Miki_Hoshii said:

Well, its the same vehicle. They are both vehicle number 99-0291, so pre-production.

Seems so, they were "finalizing" it, by experimenting with armor shapes and options, until they decided to the wedged beak and no ERA on the sides as standard. As said, I'm sure there are options to mount various things on the sides and in the front, it just isn't standard and possibly not easily accessible to the public, if it exists. The production turret is also supposedly capable of mounting the 120mm L44/55 if there ever is a need. 

EDIT: I should have said, there are possible options to mount additional armor, question is if they are developed yet or maybe down the future.

Edited by SaekoB

I'm guessing but with the composite missing on the front, the box could be ballast weight to simulate the performance of the vehicle, the front composite is fairly thick

type16mcv.jpg.f3c9c7b9e76184112a6215e32a

Still the additional boxes of armour on the hull and turret sides look interesting

type16mcv2.png.3092db560269aa81b53e20f8c

2 minutes ago, Ruthless95 said:

what's the protection value of the first and second picture's frontal armor against APFSDS rounds?

>9000mm

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, Ruthless95 said:

what's the protection value of the first and second picture's frontal armor against APFSDS rounds?

I doubt anyone can answer that. 

2 minutes ago, SaekoB said:

I doubt anyone can answer that.

I mean if they are pure steel it could probably be calculated based on the volume. If they are composite that would be a little harder.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, AnimeThighs said:

I mean if they are pure steel it could probably be calculated based on the volume. If they are composite that would be a little harder.

It's composite, steel would be too heavy and a block like that would not make sense on a vehicle entering service in 2018, where there are composites who do much better job than pure rolled armor. In the first picture it might be ballast like *RAazzy91 wrote. 

5 hours ago, Ruthless95 said:

well i'm talking about the estimate that gaijin might pump out and add this armor package to the game. they can't answer it either right?

Heh as if pictures and videos are enough for addition, the only thing that matters here is gaijin making dumb assumptions about vehicles without any primary sources of their own.

Glad this picture of the modified Type 16 was found again. I have a question - what is this part that I circled? Is it just an open hatch or something like that?

Dr31Ybd.jpg

17 minutes ago, Tasty95215 said:

Glad this picture of the modified Type 16 was found again. I have a question - what is this part that I circled? Is it just an open hatch or something like that?

Dr31Ybd.jpg

It is a shield for the driver against small arms fire while having his head outside of the vehicle.

• Like 1

• Technical Moderator
4 hours ago, Tasty95215 said:

That is a windshield when driving on the road. IDK other countries but AFVs of JGSDF often equip it.

https://trafficnews.jp/post/81352/2

large_180828_16mcv_02.jpg

Edited by aizenns
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, BlackLatvianWolf said:

Don't think it use full in anyway.fa2a130.jpg.c302e29acbf7bf7dab4877669166

There is no real reason for it to be used in clear weather, going at slow speeds, or a non-combat enviornment. In a normal scenario it would just block visibility for no reason which is why it's not used here.

Edited by AnimeThighs

5 minutes ago, AnimeThighs said:

There is no real reason for it to be used in clear weather, going at slow speeds, or a non-combat enviornment. In a normal scenario it would just block visibility for no reason which is why it's not used here.

Oh i was not talk about the. I was talk about this pic bying usefull in the tread. The type 16 in this pic dosen't have it cheek armor.

Sorry for making mix up 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...
  • Technical Moderator

I find interesting image on Twitter. MAV (Mitsubishi Armored Vehicle / Maneuver Armored Vehicle) also equip similar armor. MAV and MCV have common design (common parts is about 80%)

I guess "reactive armor" that image says means NERA, not a ERA. (maybe "confined ceramic armor"/拘束セラミック装甲)

EJ9LoKeXsAU6TeV.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aizenns said:

I find interesting image on Twitter. MAV (Mitsubishi Armored Vehicle / Maneuver Armored Vehicle) also equip similar armor. MAV and MCV have common design (common parts is about 80%)

I guess "reactive armor" that image says means NERA, not a ERA. (maybe "confined ceramic armor"/拘束セラミック装甲)

EJ9LoKeXsAU6TeV.jpg

I saw pics of the MAV too. This could mean some possible upgrades to the Type 16, but it's a shame that the MAV is really only going to get a CROWS HMG at most so it doesn't seem like it will have potential to be added to the game. We have yet to see the other two contenders however, so maybe 1 might mount a 20mm or something. Even then it's probably unlikely since this new APC is just here to replace the Type 96 and nothing more, so there isn't a reason to mount heavier weapons. Either way still cool to see this prototype so soon after the announcement of the Type 96 being replaced.

The Type 16 armor in WT is quite a mess, i meant there is no way this whole block is worth of only 5 mm ''structure steel''  ? 

Correct me here but is  not this the same type of armor as the front of the vehicle with 150 mm worth of composite screen ?

Tt67t0l.jpg

And in some areas there are a bunch of bolt on armor. For example  the frontal block armor there are modular armor bolted on the block.

IaMB9YZ.jpg

I don't know at least that is what seems like to me when i looking at the real Type 16.

46f4d3305aa0a17c665be799373dda8b.jpg

On top of the engine deck  some extra plates can also be spotted and you guess it, none of them are worth as armor.

• Like 1

Spoiler

P4BlTmz.png

Additional Armor mod.I / 付加装甲I型 : Equip with bolt on Turret and Hull side and top.

Additional Armor mod.II / 付加装甲II型: Equip with bolt on Turret and Hull front.

Additional Armor mod.III / 付加装甲III型: Equip with bolt on Turret and Hull front and side.

According to the scheme translated by @aizenns the Type 16 in WT seems to be equipped with additional armor either mod 1 or 3, i spotted bolt armor on hull side and front, turret side, front and top, not sure about hull top.

Btw i hope you don't mind if i copy this scheme for my bug report ? Since this report is still not approved i think i will try to pointing them out the bolt armor on the hull front and hull top later as well.

While i do love to report the blocks protecting the side turret but i think it will really need some serious evidence that those blocks are special armor and not just structure steel.

Edited by I_NAMELESS_I
  • Like 1