7,5cm Pak 97/38(f) auf Pz. 740 (r) Frankentank!

Solarmod

Would you like to see this in game?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Yes/no?

2. 2. What BR?

3. 3. Where should this lie

• Premium (Probably 500-1,000 GE)
    • Gift/Event
    • Squadron Vehicle
    • Shop vehicle
    • Tree (After Sturmpanzer II)
    • Tree (Other)
    • I don't know
    • I said no.

First off, this is my first forum suggestion, and I just wanted to thank @Milocat for inspiring me to make this, I've wanted this in the game since I read about it a few months ago, and recently decided that I could make the post.

The Tank

The 7,5cm Pak 97/38(f) auf Pz. 740 (r), (Or as I will call it for readability, the German T26) is a Russian, French, and German hybrid tank, of which 10 were built by the Germans, using a captured gun from the French, and a hull from the Russians. Only 10 were built, and were sent to the Eastern Front with 3 Kp. Pz Jg. Abt. 563 in October of 1943. They were quickly taken out of service, and replaced with the Marder III.

The Gun

The Pak 97/38 was a German AT gun used during World War II after the German army conquered France, and modified French weapons. This gun is a combination of the Canon de 75 modèle 1897, with a Swiss, Solothurn muzzlebrake, which under normal circumstances, is attatched to the carriage of a 5cm Pak 38. It could fire French and Polish ammunition, leading to more tank destruction options.

(For the T-26 hull, and chassis)

Dimensions (L-W-H)4.55 m x 2.31 m x 2.30 m
(14ft 11in x 7ft 7in x 7ft 7in)

Total weight, battle ready 9.6 tons

Crew (Presumably 4)

Propulsion 4-cyl gas flat air cooled Armstrong-Siddeley, 90 bhp

Speed (road/off-road) 31/16 km/h (19.3/9.9 mph)

Range (road/off road) 240/140 km (150/87 mi)

Armor 6 to 15 mm (0.24-0.59 in)

Track width 28 cm (11 inches)

Track link length 12.5 cm (4.9 inches)

Total production 10

(Data for the gun)

The Pak 97/38 (7.5 cm Panzerabwehrkanone 97/38 and 7,5 cm Panzerjägerkanone 97/38 [2] [3] ) was a German anti-tank gun used by the Wehrmacht in World War II. The gun was a combination of the barrel from the French Canon de 75 modèle 1897 fitted with a Swiss Solothurn muzzle brake and mounted on the carriage of the German 5 cm Pak 38 and could fire captured French and Polish ammunition.

t26-75mm-01.jpg.b0f48ed8019d37346078e6ff

t26-75mm-02.jpg.87c45387415f42bff177c472

(Above, two variants of it, I don't have much info on the bottom version, and have only seen the side shields in a few photos)

spg_t-26_12.jpg.5fa1750a23609e73c38978dd

(A disabled T-26)

884285234_download(1).jpg.6f3b99e3cb2501

download.jpg.223385c8a093d6f17e09e1f2f2e

665658061_download(4).jpg.5e8f39916ba762

spg_t-26_02.jpg.c97efd78d5b20b968f76fa6f

Sources: 

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_T26.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm_Pak_97/38

https://www.mmowg.net/beutepanzer-75cm-pak-9798f-auf-pz-740-r/

http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/su/t-26/t-26_spg/spg.htm

Edited by Solarmod
Corrected the name of the Pak 97/38 auf pz 740r
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 8
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

6 hours ago, leroyonly said:

Open for discussion. :salute:

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Milocat said:

Very nice vehicle, and I'm glad I could inspire you to suggest it!  +1.

Thanks!

• Technical Moderator

This would be a great premium rank I or II tank-destroyer, definitely +1 from me! :good:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Its too early for me to make any votes. I believe the tech tree and game at time should prioritise other vehicles before looking at oddballs, but I would not say a definitive no to it. Although I do have concerns of its playability. Ie what can it offer except looking odd.

IIRC this tank stemmed from the spring 43 ‘desperation batch’, but was modified by an eastern front German vehicle testing unit, and not by manufacture plants in Germany/Czechoslovakia. It should be noted that though original trial batch was 10 vehicles it was continued to be converted after this possible 20+ vehicles. Later versions also carried additional gun crew protection but I do not know if protection was of local construction, or during upgrading the test detachments conversion process. It later served in small numbers in some infantry divisions up to 1944 (last trace) in their tankhunter companies.   

In view of its historical operational time it had to face tough opponents ie the higher BR of the ones noted is likely.

Its rarity and lack of upgrades should put it some parallel game category.

Ammo allotment is unknown (to me, and possible to most). I believe, as its not a standard vehicle going through trials etc. it did not have any specific regulations, they just shoved in as much ammo as the suspension could take. As minimum amount of ammo for a Panzerjäger to ‘function at all’ was 30rds, and the paper dream number was 90rds to avoid ‘in battle reloads’, its in-between. Note also the French ammo is pretty small in size in comparison to the 7,5cm Pak = more ammo but… with regards to lack of good ‘beute ammunition’ supply,  “… yeah, just throw me a few boxes.”

• Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, sir_passionfruit said:

oh, is this post dead? well anyway, I think this vehicle should be at 1.9. because BR decompression :dry:

Mr funny guy aren'tcha. Welcome to the forums. :good: And thanks!

Edited by Solarmod

3 hours ago, Ghostmaxi said:

what are the stats of the Pzgr? like velocity , wheight, woem etc

I am personally unsure. I am not German, and I would have no idea where to start looking for archives for things as obscure as this gun, I'm new to finding things like that :018:

5 hours ago, Gebafado_BR said:

That looks like a 4 crew member tank, and issimilar to a talian tank, I  rate 2.7 to 3.0 bcs it is similar too a Pz F2 gun 

It's.. Not? It's a French gun from 1897 that fires non German ammunition? But ok I guess :dntknw:

4 hours ago, Ghostmaxi said:

It uses between war none capped polnish ammo sooooo 

Definitly worse than 7.5 cm kwk 40 l/43

Exactly why my thoughts are tier 1 at best.

• Solarmod changed the title to 7,5cm Pak 97/38(f) auf Pz. 740 (r) Frankentank!