Challenger 2E

Jackvony

Challenger 2E  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this tank ingame?

• Yes
    • No

Challenger 2E

"It's a Challenger 2, but better!"

Related image

The Challenger 2E is an export variant of the British Challenger 2. It was marketed to a few countries, but was not purchased. BAE removed the tank from the market in 2005. It was entered in the Greek tank trials, but got the lowest score out of all the NATO tanks in the trials in a relatively high profile failure. 

Challenger-2E-Tank-1.jpg

The main difference between the standard Challenger 2 and 2E is the engine. The Challenger 2E has the 1500hp EuroPowerPack with the MTU MT 883 diesel engine coupled to Renk HSWL 295TM automatic transmission. The tank also received an improved fire control system that replaced the TOGS with the SAGEM SAVAN 15 gyro stabilised day/thermal sight and gave the commander his own gyro stabilised panoramic SAGEM MVS 580 day/thermal sight. Another interesting addition seems to be the place of a .50 cal at the loaders station instead of the usual 7.62mm machine gun.A British Challenger 2E tank is displaye : News Photo

The Challenger 2E gives Britain a more viable 10.3 tank to compete with the M1A2 and Leopard 2A5. While it's armor and gun remain the same, the tank will be significantly more mobile than the base Challenger 2, better fitting the meta. Also, commander's thermals is actually quite useful and should not be looked over. And plus, .50 cal. I think the added speed and acceleration would make this a very good 10.3, as though add-on armor packages like TES and Megatron are cool, they aren't really the meta, whereas the Challenger 2E would be.

Image result for challenger 2e

Data Table:

Firepower
Main Gun 120mm, calibre Length 55 Rifled L30 CHARM
Elevation -10 to +20
Secondary Weapons x1 coaxial 7.62mm MG, x1 7.62mm MG
Ammunition Storage x50 120mm, x4,000 7.62mm
Mobility
Engine MTU MT 883 1500hp Diesel
Transmission Renk HSWL 295TM automatic
Top Road Speed 72 km/h (estimated Governed)
Road Range 500 km
Fuel Capacity 1592+ Litres
Vertical Obstacle 0.9m
Water Capability 1.07m
Trench Crossing 2.34m
Gradient 60%
Side Slope 30%
Dimensions
Length Gun Forward 11.55m
Length Hull 8.327m
Width 3.52m
Height 2.49m (roof top)
Ground Clearance 0.5m
Weight 62,000+kg aka 62 tonne combat
Protection
NBC Protected Yes
Armor Type Steel/Composite/modular
Active Protection Systems No
Crew
Commander Yes
Gunner Yes
Loader Yes
Driver Yes
Additional Crew
Troops Carried n/a

Sources:

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1443.html

http://fighting-vehicles.com/challenger-2e-tank/

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/challenger2/

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/challenger2.htm

• Like 1
  • Upvote 19
medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Thanks 4

• Suggestion Moderator
1 hour ago, podkriznik said:

wasnt 2E an export versionof the tank???

Yup it says that in the post.

the Challenger 2E in it's final iteration (late 2004, the one that was used in the Greek Army MBT competition) removed TOGS and replaced it with the same FCS and Thermals system that the Vickers MBT mk7/2 mounted which included thermals for the Gunner and commander made by SAGEM

IMG_20191111_134811_BURST001_COVER.jpg

(not the best pick, but it's all I have atm)

Edited by Battered_Walrus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Louise_So_schoen said:

Gentlemen can U tell me whether Challenger 2 has a day/thermal sight for commander or not ?

And why the elevater of Challengers are so bad ?!?!?!?!

only the CR2E had them, but the new RBSL CLEP proposal has FCS from THALES that offers both gunner/commander thermals

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Battered_Walrus said:

the Challenger 2E in it's final iteration (late 2004, the one that was used in the Greek Army MBT competition) removed TOGS and replaced it with the same FCS and Thermals system that the Vicker mk7/2 mounted which included thermals for the Gunner and commander made by SAGEM

IMG_20191111_134811_BURST001_COVER.jpg

(not the best pick, but it's all I have atm)

Thank you! I did notice that photos labeled Challenger 2E both had TOG and no TOG, which did confuse me.

medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Jackvony said:

Thank you! I did notice that photos labeled Challenger 2E both had TOG and no TOG, which did confuse me.

what makes this funny for me is that they went back to the same FCS as the original mk7/2 which were removed from the Chally 2 early protos as a cost saving measure (both in actual unit cost and crew training resources)

On 11/11/2019 at 19:34, Battered_Walrus said:

what makes this funny for me is that they went back to the same FCS as the original mk7/2 which were removed from the Chally 2 early protos as a cost saving measure (both in actual unit cost and crew training resources)

Thinking about the doctrine of challenger mbts though you'd think that being hull down in a defensive line would simply lead to a lot of scanning looking forward so perhaps for the overwatch engagements having thermals for both gunner and commander would be obsessive. Also I reckon that for 1993 thermal technology could have been more expensive for a compact 360 degree commanders sight.... maybe.

Also in 1993 challenger 2 was sold only to OMAN with the British army purchasing it in 1998, retrofitting all the challenger 2s at that point for the BA might have been considered to expensive a decision for the tactical value. I mean its probably a pain in the **** not to have it but not wholly necessary.

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't say it's "a Challenger 2 but better", while it does have a better engine, it's not going to be able to receive the same modifications as the base Challenger 2. 

Still, I would like to see it in game.

medal medal medal

• 2 months later...
On 30/01/2020 at 14:27, KHEEEEENSCREAM said:

it's not going to be able to receive the same modifications as the base Challenger 2. 

How so?
The parts of the turret and hull that the applique packages attach to remain unchanged.

medal medal medal

On 11/11/2019 at 14:47, Battered_Walrus said:

the Challenger 2E in it's final iteration (late 2004, the one that was used in the Greek Army MBT competition) removed TOGS and replaced it with the same FCS and Thermals system that the Vickers MBT mk7/2 mounted which included thermals for the Gunner and commander made by SAGEM

Nope,

Vickers Mk. 7 :

• a French SFIM (now Safran) VS 580-10 panoramic day sight with a laser rangefinder (commander)
  • a Dutch Philips-USFA UA 9090 panoramic thermal sight (commander)
  • British Vickers Instruments L30 monocular day sight with a laser rangefinder (gunner)
  • British Vickers Instruments GS10 periscopic day sight (gunner)

All of these sights were previously used on the Valiant MBT, just as the Centaur I fire control system.

Challenger 2E (latest iteration) :

• SAGEM (now Safran) MVS 580-2 day/thermal panoramic sight (commander)
  • SAGEM SAVAN 15 gyrostabilised day/thermal sight & FCS (gunner)
medal

On 20/04/2020 at 16:40, TheFuzzieOne said:

3H3d61m.jpg

Turns out it still exists today as a gate guardian.

Oh my lord. That would make for one amazing camouflage. I NEED IT!

medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...

With the Challenger 2F now added we have 2 potential ways to add this. 

Option 1) Folder it with the Challenger 2F

Option 2) Save it for a potential Vickers MBT/Vickers export line. After the Vickers MBT Mk. 7. 

medal

23 hours ago, Jarms said:

With the Challenger 2F now added we have 2 potential ways to add this. 

Option 1) Folder it with the Challenger 2F

Option 2) Save it for a potential Vickers MBT/Vickers export line. After the Vickers MBT Mk. 7. 

If added at 10.3 I think it would make more sense to be folded with the normal Challenger 2,similar to the cheiftan mk3 and mk5 

medal

• 1 month later...

It would be lovely to see this tank, a Challenger with commanders thermals and a better engine. My only curiosity would be, what would be its disadvantage. If you ask me, buff Challenger 2 & 2(2F) armor package values, and maybe its weight to be realistic, and give the Challenger 2 E the better engine and commanders thermals, but its won't have the armor packages. 

+1 for me, if it is balanced with the other Challengers. 

medal