Saipan tank regiment

General_Sultan

at june 16-17 1944 in Saipan, the japanese undertook a grand counter-attack against the american 6th marines at the beacheads near Charan Kanoa, this was one of the greatest armored attacks undertaken by the japanese in the pacific war in attempt to push the americans back to the sea, nearly 50 tanks were involved. the assault was mounted on 16th june, the japanese attack struck the american fortifications at midnight, penetrating about a line. alot of japanese tanks got stuck into the muddy terrain, others kept thrusting mostly aimlessly towards the beachead, some continued to fight after absorbing catastrophic hits (much similar to some occasions in Malaya, where much to the shock of the allies japanese tanks continued to fight even after catching huge fires)

I need help identifying the unit that participated in this offensive, I have several photos from the engagement. several include insignias and regimental markings and inscriptions, any hints or help would be very much appreciated.

a japanese type 97 Chi-ha Shin-hoto KOed during the offensive, Saipan

USMC-M-Saipan-p89.jpg

another photo, showing the 6th marines's position facing the japanese positions, the assault descended down the ridge and was grinded to a halt with a massive rain of artillery shells, at this point the attack was dispersed, however dismounted survivors from the previous night carried on the attack

USMC-M-Saipan-p88.jpg

another photo depicting a catastrophically destroyed tank from the attack, with a dead soldier lying nearby

USMC-C-Saipan-p9a.jpg

another photo (Note the insignia on the side of the turret, it looks like a square)

USMC-III-p272b.jpg

the same insignia can be seen here

q3ENFRr.jpg

saipanWrck.jpg

very surprisingly remnants of the japanese offensive force was filmed (warning-Graphic footage)

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675050868_invasion-of-Saipan_World-War-II_Japanese-flag_dead-Japanese

I need help identifying the unit these tanks belonged to, any help at all would be appreciated.

• Upvote 3

No help further required, after extensive research I have found the list of japanese armoured units on Saipan

the units that participated in this attack were the 9th tank regiment from the 1st Tank division And a tank detachment from the 1st Yokosuka Special naval landing force

BC09J57.jpg

zGqGQM5.jpg

It appears the square insignia on the side of the turret was the Insignia of the 5th company of the 9th tank regiment

tk9.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2017 at 8:56 PM, DebtlessWalnut said:

That's interesting.

Indeed..

medal medal medal medal medal medal