North American F-86F-40-NA Sabre (ROCAF)

Miki_Hoshii

Should the F-86F-40 come to China?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the F-86F-40 come to China?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Explain)

• Suggestion Moderator

Hello everyone! Today I would like to present the North American F-86F-40 Sabre as a rank V fighter jet to the Chinese tech tree in War Thunder.

rocaf6044a.jpg

History:

The North American F-86F-40 was the final block of the F variant of the famous F-86 Sabre. The F-40 was identical to previous with the except of the wing design, which was the previous 6-3 wing, but now reintroduced leading edge slats, and had wing tip extensions. The F-86F-40 thus had superior low speed roll and yaw control, without any real performance penalty. The Republic of China received its first batches of former USAF F-86F Sabres in December 1954, and would eventually total 320 F-86F's. Many of these were of various block types, but by 1958, a majority of them were F-86F-40's, or converted to F-40 standards. Prior to the mass conversions to F-40 standards, the F-86F had already shot down 3 PLAAF MiG-15bis without the loss of any F-86F. During the second Taiwan Strait crisis in 1958, the PLA attempted to push the ROC off the islands of Quemoy and Matsu. F-86F-40's flew combat air patrol missions in the region, dogfighting with numerous MiG-15bis, and J-5's. On August 14th, four F-86F-40's engaged with PLAAF J-5's, shooting three of them down. One ROCAF F-86F failed to return to base after the engagement. Eleven days later on the 25th, Captain Tien-En Chiang, and Lieutenant Hsu-Hsiang Ku each destroyed a J-5. September 8th involved a massive dogfight between ROCAF F-86F-40's, and PLAAF J-5's, with five pilots destroying one J-5 each, and Captain Hsien-Wu Liu shooting two J-5's down, totaling seven kills between all of them. Ten days later, another six J-5's were destroyed, the PLAAF claimed a F-86F-40, however the ROCAF show no losses that day. Despite the F-86F-40's success, the J-5's were a thorn in the ROCAF's sides as they could fly higher than the F-86, dive on them, then zoom climb to safety. A lot of times when the J-5's had the positional advantage at the start of an engagement, all the F-86F-40's could do was avoid their attacks. A secret plan was devised, called Operation Black Magic, which involved supplying the brand new AIM-9B Sidewinder to the ROCAF. The US trained the ROCAF pilots on the usage of the AIM-9B, using USAF F-100's as stand ins for J-5's. On the 24th of September, AIM-9B equipped F-86F-40's had their baptism of fire, when a flight of J-5's overflew the F-86's at altitude. The F-86F-40's pitched up and fired their missiles, splashing multiple J-5's. The surviving J-5's broke formation and began to dive, allowing the F-86's to give chase and engage with gun fire. One J-5 was hit with an AIM-9B that failed to detonate, allowing the Communist Bloc to examine the sample. This sample assisted in the direct copy of the AIM-9B, designated the K-13 and PL-2 in the Soviet Union and China respectively. In total, ten J-5's were destroyed during the 24th of September engagement. Eleven ROCAF pilots recieved kills or shared kills, with two pairs of pilots sharing a kill each, and Captain Yi-Chiang Chien destroying two himself. These were the first air-to-air missile kills in the world, marking a new era in aerial combat. This would be followed up on the 10th of October, when four F-86F-40's flying over mainland China engaged four J-5's destroying all of them. However debris from one J-5 damaged a F-86F-40 forcing the pilot to eject. The final combat action of the F-86F-40 was the 5th of July, 1959, when a flight of four F-86F-40's engaged twenty four J-5's over the Taiwan Strait. The ensuing dogfight lead to the loss of two J-5's, and no losses to the F-86F-40's. As an uneasy peace settled around the island, the F-86F-40 would continue serving the ROCAF, until its retirement in 1977.

rocaf6424b.jpg

rocaf6008b.jpg

In-Game:

The F-86F-40 is the perfect non-premium BR 9.3 option for China, it is the single most historically significant jet of the ROCAF. It is also historically significant in the general history of aerial combat, being the aircraft to claim the first air-to-air missile kills in the world. The F-86F-40 otherwise is identical to the F-40 found in the Japanese tree. With corrected payload options the Japanese F-86F-40 wouldn't have access to 1000 lb bombs however, as the JASDF didnt have any in inventory.

rocaf6408a.jpg

Specifications:

General characteristics:

Crew: 1

Length: 37 ft 6 in (11.43 m)

Wingspan: 39 ft 1 in (11.9 m)

Height: 14 ft 8 in (4.48 m)

Empty weight: 11,125 lb  (5,046 kg)

Max takeoff weight: 20,611 lb (9,349 kg)

Powerplant: 1 × General Electric J47-GE-27 turbojet, 5,910 lbf (26.3 kN)

Performance:

Maximum speed: 1,106 km/h (687 mph) at sea level

Range: 961 km (597 mi)

Service ceiling: 15,118 m (49,600 ft)

Rate of climb: 46.4 m/s (9,130 ft/min)

Armament:

6x 12.7 mm M3 machine guns with 1800 rounds total

2x AN-M65 1000 lb bombs

2x M117 750 lb bombs

2x AN-M64 500 lb bombs

2x AN-M57 250 lb bombs

16x 127mm HVAR rockets

2x AIM-9B Sidewinder infrared air-to-air missile

Other:

AN/APG-30A Ranging radar

rocaf188c.jpg

Sources:

Edited by Miki_Hoshii

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

Surprised you didn't make mention of one engagement involving one of these planes that resulted in the Soviets getting their hands on a Sidewinder.  Basically, during one dogfight, an AIM-9B fired by an F-86 hit a PLAAF J-5 but didn't detonate, instead lodging itself in the rear fuselage.  The plane made it back to base and the missile was handed over to the Soviets, which they copied to make their first infrared-guided AAM, known to the West as the AA-2 "Atoll".

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator
33 minutes ago, Z3r0_ said:

Surprised you didn't make mention of one engagement involving one of these planes that resulted in the Soviets getting their hands on a Sidewinder.  Basically, during one dogfight, an AIM-9B fired by an F-86 hit a PLAAF J-5 but didn't detonate, instead lodging itself in the rear fuselage.  The plane made it back to base and the missile was handed over to the Soviets, which they copied to make their first infrared-guided AAM, known to the West as the AA-2 "Atoll".

I saw some people claiming it had been a urban legend, and that full documentation and blueprints were leaked by a Swedish officer to the Soviets. So I felt I shouldnt state something as fact if I didnt know for sure. The supposed engagement where the missile was lodged would've been the 24th of September, 1958. Though ive seen claims of September 28th being the date.

47 minutes ago, Miki_Hoshii said:

I saw some people claiming it had been a urban legend, and that full documentation and blueprints were leaked by a Swedish officer to the Soviets. So I felt I shouldnt state something as fact if I didnt know for sure. The supposed engagement where the missile was lodged would've been the 24th of September, 1958. Though ive seen claims of September 28th being the date.

The thing is that nobody disputes that the engagement happened and that a Sidewinder lodged itself in a J-5 but failed to detonate.  If nothing else it would've given the ComBloc a physical example to examine.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator
3 minutes ago, Z3r0_ said:

The thing is that nobody disputes that the engagement happened and that a Sidewinder lodged itself in a J-5 but failed to detonate.  If nothing else it would've given the ComBloc a physical example to examine.

Ill edit a footnote to the September 24th engagement.

I voted no because we already have enough Sabres in the game.

China has produced a lot of it's own aircraft and already has enough American planes.

medal medal

• 5 weeks later...

Just stopping by to show my support after I learnt that the F-30s were never retrofitted to carry AAMs.

I believe that the Taiwanese F-40, especially considering the aircraft type has the honor of scoring the first air to air missile kill, would be a great addition to the Chinese Tech Tree at minimal effort friom both the development and the artistic team whilst also not requiring a new aircraft to balance, as the F-40 already exists in game for the JASDF.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...

I guess this should be moved to Implemented Suggestions once 1.99 is out.

Any idea if the F-40 will be added after the existing F-30 or foldered with it instead?

1 hour ago, CLOSE_RANGE said:

I guess this should be moved to Implemented Suggestions once 1.99 is out.

Any idea if the F-40 will be added after the existing F-30 or foldered with it instead?

Considering that the Japanese F-86F-40 is after the F-86F-30 and not foldered with it, I'd say the same would most likely happen for the Taiwanese F-86F-40 as well.

image.png.e3074f987197cc5347def9c94aac4f

medal

On 16/05/2020 at 09:35, CupNoodle13 said:

Considering that the Japanese F-86F-40 is after the F-86F-30 and not foldered with it, I'd say the same would most likely happen for the Taiwanese F-86F-40 as well.

image.png.e3074f987197cc5347def9c94aac4f

image.thumb.png.3f50157e1fbab7b5adc632a8

On devserv, it was foldered. There are also chances that japanese ones gets foldered too, considering that they are the exact same aircraft

medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, Brice2Nis59 said:

image.thumb.png.3f50157e1fbab7b5adc632a8

On devserv, it was foldered. There are also chances that japanese ones gets foldered too, considering that they are the exact same aircraft

It looks like we will actually get this one. It has an interesting paint scheme. Image by @Turbulenz_JP

shot+2020.05.17+16.06.42.jpg

medal medal

I know this plane means a lot to TWAF, but can we stop putting more copy planes into the tech tree ?even their self-developed would be nice.  Since it has been confirmed for 1.98, hope we can see less these copy in the future. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 18/05/2020 at 14:47, Minibucket said:

I know this plane means a lot to TWAF, but can we stop putting more copy planes into the tech tree ?even their self-developed would be nice.  Since it has been confirmed for 1.98, hope we can see less these copy in the future. 

I agree with that. I want to see some unique PLAAF jets.

medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the F-86F-40 has been added as per update 1.99 Starfighters,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions.:salute: