Chieftain 900 : the Super Chieftain

FORMATOSE

Chieftain 900  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Chieftain 900 in War Thunder : Ground Forces ?

Chieftain 900

YJNabPa.jpg

FLaACPm.png

Table of contents :

1. History

2. Why adding the Chieftain 900 would be beneficial to War Thunder ?

3. Specifications

4. Commercial brochure

5. Sources

History :

The Chieftain 900 was a Royal Ordnance Factories private initiative and was built following the cancellation of the British tanks contract for Iran.

It was based on the latest production Chieftain hull ; the FV4030/1 Chieftain Mark 5/3 (P) which featured, among other things, an increased mine protection and a larger fuel capacity.

Two Chieftain Mk. 5/3P were converted by fitting the Rolls-Royce engine and the fully automatic version of the Chieftain's TN12 gearbox, very much as in the Chieftain 800 but this time the engine was rated at 900 bhp, hence the name of Chieftain 900.

Two Chieftain 900 prototype were built in April 1982, they were not fitted with real Chobham armor but were mocked up with cosmetic sheet-metal cladding to simulate the Chobham armor package.

Both prototypes were exhibited at British Army Equipment Exhibition (BAEE) in summer 1982. 

The customer could select a menu of options :

• solid-state gun control equipment
  • computerized FCS
  • Archer digital radios
  • L23 APFSDS
  • thermal sight (unknow model)
  • air conditionning
  • night sight for the commander (Pilkington PE Condor)
  • infrared detectors
  • semi-automatic gear controller
  • Laser Engineering Hydro-Strut suspension
  • engine uprated to 1000 bhp
  • bolt-on rubber track pass

Despite the attractiveness of many of these proposed features, their addition was seen for what it was ; an attempt to upgrade an ageing design and not a genuine modern tank, and so attracted no buyers. Since there were no orders and the project was abandonned by 1986.

One Chieftain 900 was donated to the Tank Museum in 1988 and for a while went on display, masquerading as a modified FV4030/4 Challenger 1 as used in the First Gulf War.

Then, early in 1991, it was used by GEC Marconi to test their improved Centaur fire control system in an experimental Marconi turret and modified hull. Designated Chieftain 2000, it was displayed at an arms fair in 1993 before being restored to its original condition and returned to the Tank Museum.

98Enk0B.jpg

Why adding the Chieftain 900 would be beneficial to War Thunder ?

This will allow the British tech tree players to have an unique rank VI main battle tank, bridging the technological gap between the Chieftain and the Challenger 1.

Specifications :

• Year : April 1982
  • Number built : two prototypes
  • Combat weight : 50 tonnes
  • Armament : L11A5 rifled gun (up to 64 rounds)
  • Gunner sight : unknow (could be the Barr & Stroud TLS or the Vickers Instruments L23 or L30) day sight with laser rangefinder with a magnification of ×1 to ×10

• Commander sight : Pilkington PE Condor traversable day/night sight magnification of ×1 to ×10

• Secondary armament : L8A2 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun, L37A2 cupola-mounted 7.62 mm machine gun (4000 rounds), 10 smoke grenade dischargers (2x5)
  • Fire control system : Marconi IFCS or Marconi Centaur or the Ferranti SFCS 600 or the Ferranti Falcon

• Protection : structure made of welded high hardness steel plates and Chobham armour on the turret front, sides, hull glacis plate and on the sides of the driver's station
  • Engine : Rolls-Royce Condor 900E
  • Engine power : 900 bhp at 2300 RPM (can be uprated at 1000 bhp)
  • Transmission : TN12-1000 (automatic gear shifting, 6 forwards and 2 reverse gears)
  • Suspension : Super Horstmann (road wheels sprung independently providing increased vertical travel)
  • Power-to-weight ratio : 18 hp/t (900 bhp) or 20 hp/t (1000 bhp)
  • Top speed : 51 km/h

Commercial brochure :

erLFlf0.jpg

Qz2olgv.jpg

LPXUln4.jpg

SxD37JP.jpg

KeIgCuC.jpg

cRWk0gX.jpg

4ac7aco.jpg

UwUsYjx.jpg

MI4ioGn.jpg

I remain at your disposal for any further questions. :salute:

Sources :

• Jane's International Defense Review 1982-08
  • xxxx Taylor, Chieftain Main Battle Tank 1966 to Present, J H Haynes & Co Ltd, 2016
  • Rolf Hilmes - Die Entwicklungen der Nachkriegszeit, 1983
  • Rob Griffin, Chieftain, The Crowood Press, 2001
  • Official Royal Ordnance Factories commercial brochure

28i4DZY.jpg

Edited by FORMATOSE
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 16
medal

• Suggestion Moderator
23 minutes ago, Jackvony said:

+1 

I can't believe this hasn't already been suggested.

I know me to I had to do a double take before approving it !

Come on ! Plz replace Chieftain Mk10 as soon as possible !

As a 9.0 MBT Chieftain has only 1 advantage : decent turret .

Mobility hmmmm..... pretty much zero.

firepower : many 8.7 tanks have better shells (M111&DM23&105OFL)

No thermal at 9.0....

although she has extremely low repair cost as Firebrand . (because few people play Firebrand)

medal medal

7 hours ago, Jarms said:

What’s the difference between this and the Chieftain 800? Just the FCS?

As far as I know the engine also got uprated slightly to 900hp from 800hp but otherwise that is it.

medal medal medal medal

On 28/04/2020 at 23:05, TheFuzzieOne said:

Just a note to the original post, L23 never existed. L23A1 is all there was.

So, what is this ?

bvmFuPl.jpg

9 hours ago, Jarms said:

What’s the difference between this and the Chieftain 800? Just the FCS?

The Chieftain 800 was just a re-engined Iranian FV4030/1 Chieftain Mark 5/3P fitted with the 800 bhp Rolls-Royce CV8 TCA engine and the fully automatic TN12 Mk. 5 transmission.

Edited by Auto_tracking
medal

• Suggestion Moderator
6 hours ago, Auto_tracking said:

o, what is this ?

bvmFuPl.jpg

Looks like an L23A1 on some form of protective cover for the fins if you ask me

1896805692_unnamed(7).jpg.cc686f68621991

23 minutes ago, TerikG2014 said:

Looks like an L23A1 on some form of protective cover for the fins if you ask me

The L23A1 has a higher length-to-diameter ratio, the shape of its windscreen tip is different and its penetrator is less surrounded by the sabot petals.

67CY5fB.jpg

Edited by Auto_tracking
medal

Don't support it sorry - no info on the detail of the proposed armour configuration seems available, so it would be pure guesswork - even more so than usual for all the modern classified equipment already in the game! :(

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

Don't support it sorry - no info on the detail of the proposed armour configuration seems available, so it would be pure guesswork - even more so than usual for all the modern classified equipment already in the game! :(

Lol

You're about 2 years late my man.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal

10 hours ago, Josephs_Piano said:

Much of the purpose of these suggestions is bringing the existence of the vehicle to Gaijin's attention, who can use their contacts to potentially find said sources.

At least that's the theory. Their exact reliability with British sources has been extremely patchy.

medal