B 26 - Fokker G.I Mercury

B 26 - Swedish Fokker G.I  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Should the B 26 be added to the Swedish tech tree?

• Yes
    • Yes, and include the S 13 as well
    • Not sure
    • No
  2. 2. Would you prefer this to be researchable or a premium aircraft?

• Research Tech Tree
    • Premium only
    • Not sure
    • Neither - I voted No.

Swedish B 26 - Fokker G.I Mercury

Introduction:

I must start this suggestion by stating that this aircraft was not produced and therefore never entered service with the Swedish Air Force. However, I would ask you to please bare with me an think on this idea before posting, because it occurs to me there are very few historical options for the lower tiers of the Swedish tech tree. I am aware that there is already a suggestion for this aircraft in the Other Nations section, but I believe that this aircraft has a place here and would be a very useful addition to boost the Swedish contingent.

The Fokker G.I was an early heavy fighter built in The Netherlands for the Dutch Air Force and had the potential to become a superb and influential aircraft in world history if The Netherlands had not been invaded. Yet, even though only a small number actually entered service with the Dutch Air Force before the outbreak of war, and over half of those were destroyed on the ground, the survivors still managed to claim 14 enemy kills. Despite this, the unusual twin-boom configuration would go on to influence twin-boom aircraft designs in Europe and worldwide for many years. At present though, The Netherlands does not have a nation of their own in the game and none of their domestic produced aircraft have been included so far. However, in the year prior to the outbreak of World War Two Sweden placed an order in two variants; a dive bomber and a reconnaisance aircraft, and although they were unfortunately not delivered it is claimed that a mock up was produced.

Background:

Given the nickname le Faucheur ("The Reaper" in French), the G.I was designed as a private venture in 1936 by Fokker chief engineer Dr. Schatzki. Intended for the role of "jachtkruiser" or heavy fighter and was intended to gain air superiority over the battlefield as well as being a light bomber. The Fokker G.I utilized a twin-engined, twin-boom layout that featured a central nacelle housing two or three crew members as well as a formidable armament. The design and construction of the prototype (registered as X-2) was completed in just seven months using Hispano-Suiza 14AB-02/03 engines. It was finished in time for the 1936 Paris Air Show where it was hailed as a sensation. Like all Fokker aircraft of the period, the G.I was of mixed construction; the front of the central pod were built around a welded frame, covered with aluminium plating. The back of the central pod, however, as well as the wings, were completely constructed with wood. The Dutch Fokker G.Ia would use either 8x 7.9 mm (0.31 in) forward-firing FN-Browning machine guns, or 2x 23mm Madsen cannons with 2x 2.9mm FN-Browning machine guns in the nose, plus another 2.9mm Browning in the rear turret. It could also carry 660lb (300kg) of bombs.

Production:

During testing, the company received a contract from the Spanish Republican government for 26 G.1 "export" versions with Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp Junior engines known as the G.Ib. Despite receiving payment, the order was destined never to be fulfilled as the Dutch government placed an embargo on the sale of military equipment to Spain. Fokker however, continued building the aircraft and a story was released to the press that they were intended for Finland, who did show considerable interest before eventually chosing other options. Fokker received further orders from Denmark and Sweden. Belgium, Finland, Turkey, Hungary and Switzerland all showed great interest, but never placed firm orders.

Meanwhile, the Dutch Air Force ordered an initial delivery of 36 aircraft and formed two squadrons of the G.Ia (3rd JaVa and 4th JaVa) with the first 4 aircraft delivered in the Ground Attack variant and the rest as Heavy Fighters. Due to a shortage of engines and spares, majority of the G.Ia aircraft in service were fitted with the Bristol Mercury engines instead of the Twin Wasps. However, only 26 G.Ia aircraft entered service before The Netherlands surrendered.

Service:

On 20 March 1940 a single Dutch Air Force G.Ia from 4th JaVa on a routine patrol intercepted and forced down an Armstong Whitworth Whitley of 77 Squadron RAF that had strayed into Dutch airspace.

At 03:50 hours local time on 10 May 1940 Germany invaded the Netherlands. The Luftwaffe began by bombing Dutch airfields and 4th JaVa was completely destroyed in the first raid. 3rd JaVa however, were able to scramble most of their serviceable aircraft. However, the Dutch Air Force were severely outnumbered and suffered heavy losses. Only three servicable airframes remained after the first day.

The Battle of The Netherlands lasted just 5 days with the remaining G.I aircraft mainly deployed in ground attack missions, strafing advancing German infantry units. They were also used to attack German Junkers Ju 52 transports. Although the results are fragmented, the G.Ia claimed 14 confirmed aerial kills and contributed to the total loss of 167 Ju 52s during the short conflict.

The remaining G.Ia airframes were captured and taken to Germany where they were used as training aircraft until they ran out of spare parts. One aircraft was stollen from the Germans however, by two Fokker engineers who flew it to England where it was evaluated and reverse engineered. There are unfortunately no survivors, but there is a replica of the G.Ia Mercury in a Dutch Air Force museum.

Sweden's Order:

While the G.I was developed as a Heavy Fighter and Ground Attack Aircraft, it could be fitted with bombs. But interest in the aircraft's dive bombing capabilities had led to the production aircraft being modified to include dive breaks under the wings. Sweden meanwhile, were searching for a suitable reconnaisance aircraft and considered the G.I as a possible option, but concerns about the restricted view for the observer and a shortage of engines had almost ruled it out as a contender. However, during its evaluation Fokker Captain Björn Bjuggren displayed the dive bombing capability and it was reported favourably that the Fokker G.Ia could be regarded as a dive bomber. An initial order was placed for 18 aircraft in this configuration, with an option for 77 more when it was revealed that 45 Bristol Mercury engines had become available due to Finland cancelling their order for the DXXI single seat fighters.

Sweden named this aircraft the B 26 and it is claimed that Dr. Schatzki produced a mock up to show off the new Swedish purchase for publicity. The name was not the only thing the Swedish Air Force planned to change though. The B 26's armament would consist of four 13.2mm akan m/39 auto cannons in the nose and an 8mm ksp m/22-37R machine gun for the gunner. It would be equipped with a bomb bay that could hold 8x 50kg bombs or a single 250kg bomb with a bomb fork. There were also hard points under the wings for 4 more 50kg bombs (2 under each wing).

Meanwhile, Sweden had chosen to fill it's reconnaissance requirement with the German Dornier Do215, but when this order was cancelled the Swedish Air Force turned back to the Fokker G.I for a solution. 12 of the first batch of B 26 aircraft would be converted to a reconnaissance varient that would be called the S 13. This version of the G.I was fitted with a glass domb beneath the central fusilage that was dubbed "The Bath Tub". The S 13 would retain a similar armourment configuration, except without the bomb bay, and two of the 13.2mm akan m/39 auto cannons where replaced with two 8mm ksp m/22 machine guns. 

Unfortunately, while Fokker were busy constructing these aircraft for Sweden, the surrender of The Netherlands to Germany in May 1940 meant that none of these aircraft were ever delivered. What remained of Sweden's aircraft were most likely broken up and used for spares.

B 26 Statistics:

Crew: 2-3

Length: 10.87 m (35 ft 8 in)

Wingspan: 17.16 m (56.29 ft)

Height: 3.80 m (12.4 ft)

Wing area: 38.30 m² (412.26 ft²)

Empty weight: Aproximately 3,325 kg (7,330 lb)

Max. takeoff weight: Aproximately 5,000 kg (11,023 lb)

Powerplant: 2 × Bristol Mercury VIII nine-cylinder air-cooled single-row piston radial engine, 730 hp at 2,650 rpm for takeoff, 830 hp (618 kW) at 4,100m at 2,750rpm maximum continuous power (545 kW) each

Maximum speed: 475 km/h at 4,100m (295 mph)

Range: 1,510 km (938 mi)

Service ceiling: 10,000 m (32,808 ft)

Rate of climb: 13.5 m/s (44.29 ft/s)

Wing loading: 125.3 kg/m² (25.68 lb/ft²)

Power/mass: 0.22 kW/kg (0.14 hp/lb; 0.30 hp/kg)

Time to altitude: 6.0 min 20 sec to 5,000 m (16,405 ft)

Armament:

4x 13.2mm akan m/39 auto cannons in the nose

1x 8mm ksp m/22-37R machine gun in rear turret

Internal bomb bay for 8x 50kg bombs or 1x 250kg bomb with a bomb fork. Plus external hard points for 4x 50kg bombs (2 under each wing)

Spoiler

The Fokker G.I Heavy Fighter; Dutch Grim Reaper - Military Matters

Dutch Air Force Fokker G.Ia in flight

S13-Fokker-G.1-F21-Winter_01

Artists impression of a Swedish B 26 in winter camoflage.

S13-Fokker-G.1-F3_inboard_01

Profile of a Swedish S 13 showing the "Bath Tub" observation dome design.

Fokker G.1.svg

File:Fokker G.1A replica Soesterberg hr.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

This museum exhibit is only a replica unfortunately.

Conclusion

The Fokker G.I was probably the most advanced attack aircraft of its time, but because The Netherlands is not currently represented in the game this fantastic aircraft would not otherwise be included. There are very few options available in the Swedish tech tree at lower tiers, and the B 26 would provide a different and unusual option for this nation. In fact, the only comparable aircraft currently in the Swedish Tech Tree is the SAAB B 17. The B 26 provides several options for players, both as a heavy fighter, light bomber and dive bomber. Therefore, I would argue that although the B 26 did not make it into service in Sweden, the Fokker G.I deserves a place in the game and it's addition to the Swedish tech tree would provide a compelling chance to experience what this aircraft would have been capable of.

Just for the purpose of pointing out the obvious: The Fokker G.I was used breifly as a training aircraft by the German Luftwaffe, and so officially it would be more realistic to put it in the German tech tree if it was to go anywhere. But I would argue that the lower tiers of the German tree already has several similar types of aircraft that can fulfil the same role, where as Sweden does not.

Because the B 26 was never delivered to Sweden, it could also be argued that this is only a theoretical "paper" aircraft. Yet there are plenty of other examples of "paper" aircraft and vehicles already in the game that are far less legendary than the G.I Mercury.

Therefore, I present the B 26 for your consideration for a place in the Swedish tech tree at the earliest opportunity.

Sources:

IPMS Stocholm - Swedish Air Force

War Thunder - Other Nations Aircraft Suggestions

Wikipedia - Fokker G.I

Military.Wikia.org - Fokker G.I

Edited by *VinChenzo1982
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 08:12, Draco_Argentum said:

I totally want the G1 in game in it's heavy fighter form. The B 26 is more iffy, did any of that configuration ever fly?

Unfortunately not, although the sources provided do suggest that a mock up was made using a G.I airframe. As for the rest of the order however, they were said to have been in production before the Netherlands surrendered, but were never delivered.

The game does have several examples of paper aircraft already... and unlike most of those, the G.I was in service with the Dutch Air Force. But as the Netherlands has no hope of getting it's own tech tree just for the hand full of aircraft they have ever built, it makes sense to give them an opportunity to fly for other nations. It could be added to the German tree, but the Germans have a long list of their own aircraft still waiting to be included in the game. Sweden on the other hand has hardly any. In fact I think every Swedish built aircraft of that era has already been included. In my opinion, the B 26 would therefore be the easiest and best way to get the popular and much requested G.I into the game. The B 26 also has greater firepower with the Swedish choice of machine gun and canon configuration (which are already in the game I believe) and the option for a heavier bomb load than the G.I.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... given the fact that the plane in it's dive bomber form did not fly (unless Dr. Schatzki made a paper airplane out of the blueprints :D ), I'd say no, but given the status of the Swedish techtree at the moment, I could envision it as an event/squadron vehicle. +0.5

• Thanks 1
medal medal

• 1 month later...

I am pleased to see that this is gaining some support and votes. In comparison to other nations, Sweden's tech tree is so sparse at the moment that it really could benefit from this aircraft to give pilots more options, especially in mixed battles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

love the idea, and as a lover of the swedish tree myself it would be amazing to see the aircraft in-game.

Just one question though: what BR would we be looking at it being? I just... kinda wanna know

oh and btw i think the s13 due to its lower armament should be in the standard tree whereas the g1 should be premium, i just couldnt put that in the poll

Edited by you_cant_seeme
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2020 at 16:50, you_cant_seeme said:

love the idea, and as a lover of the swedish tree myself it would be amazing to see the aircraft in-game.

Just one question though: what BR would we be looking at it being? I just... kinda wanna know

oh and btw i think the s13 due to its lower armament should be in the standard tree whereas the g1 should be premium, i just couldnt put that in the poll

It says somewhere in the rules about not specifying or dictating Battle Ratings, and truthfully I have little to know understanding on how these are worked out. Many people believe the G1 was ahead of its time, but considering the G1 entered service with the Netherlands just before the war and very few modifications were ever made to improve it, I would imagine it would be fairly low in the ratings, perhaps somewhere between 1.8 and 2.3 in realistic battles would be my guess, but I would be interested to see what you and others here think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Senior Suggestion Moderator

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

• Thanks 1