10.5cm LeFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI(e) "Wait, What?"

Solarmod

Thoughts?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. In game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Should we get a regular Vickers Mk VI?

• Yes
    • No
    • No to both.
    • Yes to the regular, no to the Howitzer.
    • Undecided
  3. 3. The question of placement?

• Premium
    • Squadron Vehicle
    • Tree
    • Undecided
    • Don't want it.
  4. 4. What BR?

• Undecided
    • Let devs decide
    • Too weak for WT, so I vote no.

To Be clear, this vehicle would not have any form of overhead view, like in other tank game. This tank would be used solely for direct fire.

This is NOT a suggestion for just a captured Vickers, but if you want to vote for some for the British tech tree, check this out! 

@CaID created the original suggestion for the Mk V/VI

Now, we begin.

This is the 10.5cm LeFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk. VI(e).

The 10.5cm LeFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI(e) self-propelled artillery gun built on a Vickers Mk.VI light tank chassis

227.Infanterie-Division 10.5cm LeFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI(e) self-propelled artillery gun

The driver would sit behind the loader on the right, at the back, when the gun was fired to assist with loading the gun.

10.5cm LeFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI(e)

Camouflaged 10.5cm LeFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI(e) SPG on the Eastern Front

10.5cm LeFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI(e) SPG

And lastly for the initial photo dump, here's a few photos of them on the Eastern Front.

A battery of three 10.5cm LeFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI(e) SPGs deployed for a fire mission. Notice the tracked ammunition carrier with a trailer in the background.

10.5cm LeFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI(e) SPG in winter camouflage

Two 10.5cm LeFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI(e) SPGs in a revers slope firing position to avoid detection from the Soviet troops

Anyhow, the history of these vehicles starts during the invasion of France, the left behind armor was reused by the German Army, that had been captured in various states by the German army. The Germans, always being resourceful, (See my other suggestions) were able to rebuild exactly 6 of them, modifying them with a 10.5cm LeFH 16, a ww1 era artillery, that could fire the ammunition that the LeFH 18 used as well, allowing for better anti anything, at the cost of range.

Prototype under going trials at Le Harfleur, France.

June 1940 photo of the first of the 6 being tested, the protective armor has not been built yet.

The (Abridged) Service Record:

The 6 10.5cm Equipped Vickers were put into the 15th Artillery Regiment, 226th Infantry Division, in two platoons of 3. The man who designed the vehicles, Alfred Becker, was the commanding officer. These vehicles were refereed to as an assault battery, but they were never used in that role. They were in fact, way too weak for that, so instead they were used as artillery. After the Fall of France in 1940, (Yes, these vehicles were built using captured equipment BEFORE France fell.) these tanks were used for security, being put near the port of Le Harve, from July of 1940, to late summer of 1941. The crews trained, and then moved to the Eastern Front, where they took part in combat in Leningrad (Now St Petersburg) Russia. The vehicles were set up in order to stop a Soviet counter attack, where the German army believed the soviets would take a charge and attack on a set of routes the Soviets might take. They had time to set up, and had forward observers who spotted the soviets, so, as you might guess, they were pretty successful, for now. In October, records state the 15th Battery was divided into 3 platoons of 2 guns, and that's when the unit suffered it's first casualties. Four men, including Becker, were wounded when they used the SPGs for direct fire, the lack of armor was the main factor. The vehicles had been used later on but as the war went on, the vehicle started to show their flaws, as 3 had been destroyed by February 1942, and the guns had failed to destroy KV series vehicles, and two more were knocked out, leaving the last one to be destroyed by the 98th Tank Brigade of the USSR, leaving no surviving examples of this interesting oddity of the war to this day.

Anyhow on to specifications:

Armament: 

1x 10.5cm LeFH 16 (Unknown amount of ammo carried, presumably 18-20, from photos)

1x MG-42 (Unknown)

Armor, and other specs:

Armor thickness from 11-22mm

Crew of 4

Weight: 6.5 Tons

Engine: Meadows 6 cylinder gasoline/petrol engine, 88 hp

Top speed(s) On road: 35 mph, Off road: 25 mph

Production: 6

Sources:

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi-germany/10-5cm-lefh-16-auf-geschutzwagen-mk-vie/

http://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/gb/Vickers_light_MkVI.php

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_105_leFH_16.html

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=386

REASONING:

I personally think this vehicle could make a neat premium, or squadron vehicle, it could go in the tree behind the sturmpanzer ii, but I'd personally rather it be a tier 1 premium TD/SPG, it'd provide an interesting playstyle, like a baby Brummbar, but faster, and smaller than the Sturmpanzer II.

As always, thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day o7

Edited by Solarmod
Accidentally submitted early.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion.

21 minutes ago, OzyrysD said:

It would be nice as 1.0 premium or squadron vehicle, and for regular TT we can have a Wespe and/or Heuschrecke 10. 

Exactly!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, police2689 said:

I heard this vehicle also carried 15cm howitzer. Making gun converting function looks good.

+1

I have not found any evidence of this.

On 05/06/2020 at 15:04, Solarmod said:

I have not found any evidence of this.

Maybe I was wrong. I couldn't find any pictures and more information about 150mm.

Only I found was 75mm version.

medal medal medal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 06/06/2020 at 02:52, police2689 said:

Maybe I was wrong. I couldn't find any pictures and more information about 150mm.

Only I found was 75mm version.

I have looked further and I have not found any evidence for this, either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It must be very hard for the tank suspension

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 11 months later...
On 05/06/2020 at 12:10, police2689 said:

I heard this vehicle also carried 15cm howitzer. Making gun converting function looks good.

+1

I think you are confused with the earlier Sig variants. There were some that were more like this design/style but with the 15cm cannon.

15cm sIG 33 (Sf) auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf. B “Bison”

kapPrtJ.png

These were more true SPG than something like the Sig33 which had a reasonable ammo supply and could fit most crew inside it. E.g. The Bison only had 3-4 ammo stored onboard, and most crew didn't stay inside, open topped, open backed, etc etc. 

Basically there would be little point to put this into WT as a TT vehicle, unlike the suggested vehicle in this thread. 

Sd.Kfz.135/1 aka 15cm sFH 13/1 (Sf) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper(f) 

Here in front of Versailles Palace (lol)

This could be a hoot, a higher ranked Sig 33 more like a Sturer Emil, allowing players access to the lobtastic fun at 4.3 or so without buying a Brummbar..

15cm sFH 13/1 (Sf) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper(f) SdKfz 135/1 in the court yard of the Versailles Palace, France, 1943

15cm sFH 13/1 (Sf) auf GW Lorraine Schlepper Battle of El Alamein

Looks bit like an early VFW to be honest..

There's also a 15cm Hetzer.. that could be hellishly fun too for higher tier SCHNELL GESCHUTZ :D

15 cm s.I.G 33/2 (Sf) auf Jagdpanzer 38(t) with the gun trough resting on the armored hatch

Edited by N4CR_
  • Upvote 3
medal

• 1 month later...