CMP FORD F15 (20mm Breda Mod.39)

Nicholas_Concu

CMP FORD F15 (20mm Breda Mod.39)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. CMP FORD F15 (20mm Breda Mod.39) for Italy?

• Yeah +1
    • no -1
  2. 2. Tech Tree, Premium or Event?

• Tech tree
    • Premium
    • Event
    • No

General Info
During the interwar period of WW2, Germany was slowly rising to power, the British was closely looking at the situation, they wanted a new transport vehicle that could be integrated into british standards and specifications if a war was to break out, they went to Canada, more specifically the Ford Motor company of Canada to create this vehicle that would become a standard around commonwealth armies and allies. By 1939 they were given the go ahead for creating prototypes and after evaluation it was moved to full scale mass production. This vehicle proved to be very easy to produce and also versatile in the sense of mounting weapon systems unto it. Of course since it was in service with the allies, it was used nearly everywhere around the world, one of the many places would be the North African campaign for example. Now Italy and Rommel's army would advance and capture a lot of allied equipment from time to time, for Italy, nearly every time they had a chance to integrate a vehicle they captured from the enemy they would. Which lead to Italian soldiers to modify the vehicle to allow a 20mm Breda Mod.39 to be mounted on top of it. This was a very common occurrence, not just because of how the vehicle in general was mass produced, allowing an abundance of vehicles to be captured, but also the Italian gun was very easy to come by. Italians modifying captured vehicles isn't anything new, they did install the Breda Mod.39 on multiple different types of trucks during the war. Armour on this vehicle pretty much was non existent, an due to it being open top it didn't leave the user protected when firing, which would often times prove to be fatal. It was also captured by the Germans and i believe they installed something similar, however i dont know more than that. Not much is known regarding anymore service this vehicle went through, most likely due to the war in Africa being lost. 
Armaments
x1 20mm Breda Mod.39 (Ammo includes Granata mod.35, Perforante mod.35 and PzGr 40)
Specifications
image0.jpg image0.png
Why it should be in game
I think it should be in game due to it being a very used vehicle in the African campaign for Italy, it would be similar to another vehicle we have in game, the AS-42, so it could open up the option of this coming after it or perhaps having it as a premium or event due to it not being fully Italian. Could help with filling up some of the lower part of the tech tree with actual WW2 vehicles, instead of post war ones. Overall would be fun to play in in my opinion. 
Sources
https://issuu.com/rivista.militare1/docs/gli-autoveicoli-vol._ii-tomo_2-testo
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Military_Pattern
http://www.univem-paris.com/en/galerie/canadian-ford-f15/
https://www.canadianmilitarypattern.com/
https://ww2db.com/vehicle_spec.php?q=504
Pictures
image0.png Questions on captured CMP in Africa - MLU FORUM WT Live // Image by CornMarketman Panzerserra Bunker- Military Scale Models in 1/35 scale: Chevrolet CMP 15  CWT with Breda 20mm gun - case report Autocannone da 20/65 su CMP Ford 15A - Italy - War Thunder - Official Forum Engines of the Wehrmacht in WW2 717d9c5588b8190cf0327a59a0dec07a.png?wid image1.png?width=565&height=475 Panzerserra Bunker- Military Scale Models in 1/35 scale: Chevrolet ... image0.png?width=505&height=475 Engines of the Wehrmacht in WW2
Engines of the Wehrmacht in WW2

Edited by Nicholas_Concu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal

18 hours ago, Conte_Baracca said:

What's the difference between the Breda model 39 and the model 35 we have on the AS. 42?

The mod 35 was the towed version with elevation from -10 to +80 actioned by a flywheel, it also had a seat for the gunner.

Spoiler

Cannone_Mitragliera_da_20mm_mod_35.thumb

The mod 39 was the fixed version and as such it had a bulkier frame with five "hole", the elevation was from -10 to +90. This version was easier to mount on vehicles but the gunner didn't had a seat and it had to use the weapon without the support of the flywheel, like in this pic:

Spoiler

Breda_20-65_Mod._1939_MDICAT.jpg.1753d88

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal

8 hours ago, Grimbergen95 said:

The mod 35 was the towed version with elevation from -10 to +80 actioned by a flywheel, it also had a seat for the gunner.

Reveal hidden contents

Cannone_Mitragliera_da_20mm_mod_35.thumb

The mod 39 was the fixed version and as such it had a bulkier frame with five "hole", the elevation was from -10 to +90. This version was easier to mount on vehicles but the gunner didn't had a seat and it had to use the weapon without the support of the flywheel, like in this pic:

Reveal hidden contents

Breda_20-65_Mod._1939_MDICAT.jpg.1753d88

Better elevation and traverse than the AS.42?  count me in.

• Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I've seen a lego one of these, never crossed my mind to add it in game.

Brb buying instructions to build the lego one cause CMP is one of my favorite trucks ever

Anyhow yeah, I think this could be a good 1.3-2.0 SPAA for Italy, even though it has a captured "Hull".

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...