Bw FlakPz MATADOR 30 mm ZLA

Nostadad

Would you like to have MATADOR in War Thunder?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have MATADOR in War Thunder?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Where should it be?

• Afther KugelBlitz and before Gepard
    • Afther Gepard
    • I said no to first question

First, thank you @Matt_82 for the idea with your thread here -->

This vehicle has almost no information on web and thats is what we found to make this post. If you have info about it don't hesitate to write in comments.
Source are provided at the end. PDF file available in German only. We used a translator to translate it from German to English. (Thanks
@MaKiGa1kOkUj1N )

Bw FlakPz MATADOR 30 mm ZLA
Meaning of MATADOR 30 mm ZLA.
German: ''Mobile Allwetter - Tiefflieger Abwehrsystem mit DOppler - Radar und 30 mm - Zwillingskano   ne auf Fahrgestell Leopard Autonom''

English: ''Mobile all-weather low-flying defense system with DOppler radar and 30 mm twin cannon on Leopard Autonom chassis''

Spoiler

164831_900.jpg.08fe917df99c6f3bdd2bb16173omafFU.png.3ed40d6d00cf8b340c0a5a814c0f730036482_IMG_4487_8_9_tonemapped28Ander

Spoiler

164421_900.png.3a957dcd831ebdb199680a4af

MATADOR_Page_152a.thumb.jpg.9c338299bc3d

Legend of the 2 pictures above:

1: Omnidirectional radar (Siemens)
2: Fire control radar device (AEG-Telefunken)
3: Main computer (AEG-Telefunken)
4: Secondary computer (Rheinmetal)
5: Round search optics (Rheinmetal)
6: Control panel
7: Weapon system (Rheinmetal)
8: Ammunition box
9: Tower with hatches (Rheinmetal)
10: Chassis (Krauss-Maffei/Porsche)

Source #2 (see at the end of the post)

Spoiler

TOP LEFT

Flpz prototype Matador with closed and open.
Case ejection openings on the side of the turret.
BOTTOM LEFT
Turntable in 2 o'clock position, circular search radar antenna folded down.

TOP RIGHT

Details of the side discharge openings on the dummy turret.
BOTTOM RIGHT

Flak tank prototype Matador, weapons with the greatest tube elevation.

MATADOR_Page_150a.thumb.jpg.8791552bf47d

Source #2 (see at the end of the post)

MATADOR HISTORY

MATADOR 30 ZLA, a proposal by Rheinmetall, which for the first time included the elements of a movable all-weather low-flying defense system. This system also used the LEOPARD-1 chassis, but was equipped with two 30 mm rapid-fire cannons. This development was discontinued in 1970 in favor of the Oerlikon design.In 1963, the development of a mobile all-weather low-level aircraft defense system began, which was intended to replace the outdated American M42 flak tank developed in the 1940s in the German armed forces. This system should be equipped with a Doppler radar and 30 mm twin cannons. For reasons of weight, the decision was made in 1965 not to place the heavy weapons and fire control systems on the chassis of the later Spz MARDER as originally intended, but to use the LEOPARD 1 chassis. The companies Siemens, AEG-Telefunken, Porsche, Rheinmetall and Krauss-Maffei were involved in the development. Then later converted two LEOPARD chassis from the pilot series to accommodate anti-aircraft turrets for these and for a parallel development of an anti-aircraft tank from the Swiss company Oerlikon-Contraves. In the same year, Oerlikon-Contraves received an order from the Federal Ministry of Defense to manufacture two anti-aircraft turrets with 35 mm weapon systems. After three prototypes of the 30 mm air defense system known as MATADOR had been ordered from Rheinmetall by BWB (Federal Ministry of Defense), factory testing of both vehicle types began a year later. At the same time, additional second-generation prototypes were commissioned from Oerlikon by BWB and the Netherlands to create a broader basis for comparison.The order placed in early 1970 to build three new chassis for the MATADOR anti-aircraft turrets was canceled by BWB after six months. In June 1970 the decision was made to discontinue further development of the MATADOR 30 mm anti-aircraft weapon system and to equip the Bundeswehr with the 35 mm Oerlikon Contraves weapon system on LEOPARD 1 chassis. Four chassis with 35 mm anti-aircraft turrets were delivered in late 1970 and early 1971. With delivery in 1973 Krauss-Maffei and Oerlikon produced five pre-series anti-aircraft tanks from BWB 12 and the Ministry of Defense of the Netherlands. The Dutch version differed from the German version by the installation of Dutch radar equipment. On February 5, 1973, the Federal Ministry of Defense decided to introduce the Flakpanzer with a 35 mm weapon system. The company Krauss-Maffei, in cooperation with the companies Oerlikon-Contraves, Siemens and Wegmann, was appointed as the general contractor for series production.

Gun Specs

Spoiler

Capture6.thumb.PNG.170267a5a01c45432c23cCapture7.thumb.PNG.fbfa5d1ad6572053324cf

Specification
Crew: 3
Weight: 42 t
Weapon system: 2x30 mm MK HS 831
650 rounds / min each
Vo = 1080 m / sec

Ammunition supply 1000 cartridges
Ammo type: 30mm x 170
Effective range: 3000m

Speed: ??? LEOPARD 1 chassis, same base of Gepard

Turret rotation speed: ???
Directional range: -10 degrees to +85 degrees
Circular search radar range 12,000 meters (Siemens MPDR 12)
Follow-up radar range: 4,000 meters
Start of development: 1965
Year of manufacture PT 301 1968
Development stopped in 1970, not introduced Loan from BwB WTS Koblenz
Restored workshop HflaS 1995

Spoiler

Plate in the museum of Air Defense in Kiel

Matador_Kiel_Typenblattjpg.jpg.d6dfccc33

Information of the Museum provided by @Dzsigolo_Lanty

Info.thumb.jpg.733525287a9aab39252a9e174

Sources:
1- LEOPARD 1 und 2 · GEPARD· BIBER· PiPz .' U.8. Michael Scheibert Sonderheft -Waffen·Arsenal DM 14.80 (German.pdf)
2- DerWeg zum Flak-PanzerGepard ISBN 3-7637-5197-1  Walter
J. Spielberger
3- Museum Military history exhibition Air Defense in Kiel 
http://norddeutschland.blogspot.com/2015/08/militarhistorische-ausstellung.html

German.pdf

Edited by Dimitri_Rudov
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Hello Dimitri_Rudov,

All suggestion polls require a no or negative answer per question to meet our minimum guidelines. I've edited poll #2 to include a no answer. Open for discussion. 

On 22/06/2018 at 12:16, CokeSpray said:

ZPje0i2.png   Please Do NOT :  

Naturally, there are also a few things you should try to avoid at all times. Those things are the following:

Create polls that don't include a "Negative" or "No" answer

While polls offer a good and simple way for individuals to quickly express their stance on a subject, without having to elaborate it in detail, there are ways to manipulate polls to always show a desired result. To avoid having an unfair voting system, make sure to  always  include a negative option to a question so that it's fair and unbiased. If this requirements isn't met, the thread author will be notified and the poll will be altered to provide a fair voting system.

20 minutes ago, Miki_Hoshii said:

Hello Dimitri_Rudov,

All suggestion polls require a no or negative answer per question to meet our minimum guidelines. I've edited poll #2 to include a no answer. Open for discussion. 

I did edit it --> ''I said no to first question''
Sorry for any inconvenience

I think this would have a very similar br to the Gepard. Id say something like the Flak 30 mm Zwilling auf Schützenpanzer is much more urgently needed (to fill the gap between kugelblitz and gepard), there is also little info about it but sits in the same museum as the Matador...

N4G0HyQ.png

Edited by gojuancamilo@psn
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gojuancamilo@psn said:

I think this would have a very similar br to the Gepard. Id say something like the Flak 30 mm Zwilling auf Schützenpanzer is much more urgently needed (to fill the gap between kugelblitz and gepard), there is also little info about it but sits in the same museum as the Matador...

N4G0HyQ.png

Yep, I know but to make this happen we need official documents.
I only have documents for MATADOR

5 hours ago, Dimitri_Rudov said:

Yep, I know but to make this happen we need official documents.
I only have documents for MATADOR

3cm Double Flak on Schützenpanzer Neu ( Z-30 ) name is Ru:222 
Platform: 
Schützenpanzer Lang HS.30    
https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Schützenpanzer_Lang_HS.30
http://amicale.3emedragons.free.fr/Docs materiels WW2/Waffen Arsenal 106 - SPz Marder.pdf

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Dimitri_Rudov said:

Thanks very much, I will add this to my post!

TUPA.jpg

this is named TUPA and is single Gun. Any relation with MATADOR?

I put it in because of the radar. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...