OTOMATIC (Leopard 1A2 Hull)

OTOMATIC (Leopard 1A2 Hull)  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see the OTOMATIC (Leopard 1A2 Hull) in War Thunder?

• Yes
    • No

OTOMATIC (Leopard 1 Hull)

The OTOMATIC on the Leopard hull opens fire against static ground targets

The OTOMATIC was built as a prototype self-propelled anti-aircraft gun (SPAAG) for the Italian Army and export market by OTO-Melara, with OTO-Breda contributing. The OTOMATIC turret could be mounted on the OF-40 chassis or Leopard 1A2 chassis. The OF-40 hull prototype was built from 1981 to 1985, and it was displayed at the 1987 Paris Air Show. The second prototype, the one based on the Leopard 1A2 hull, was completed the same year and was tested until 1989.

When mounted on the Leopard 1A2 hull, the OTOMATIC had a maximum speed of 60 kph - 5 kph slower than the OF-40 hull variant. The turret mounted on the Leopard 1A2 hull was a slightly modified HEFAS 76-L1 turret, with few differences from that on the OF-40 chassis.

The Leopard-based OTOMATIC was proposed to the German Army as a replacement for the Flakpanzer Gepard, but it was not purchased. Unfortunately, in 1991 with the end of the Cold War the OTOMATIC was no longer needed. It remained on the export market until 1997, when the OF-40-based OTOMATIC was scrapped and the Leopard 1A2-based OTOMATIC was placed in a warehouse. It was thought that the second prototype had been scrapped at some point, but it reappeared in 2019 in restored and fully working order. It is to be displayed in a museum in La Spezia near the company headquarters of OTO.

The OTOMATIC on Leopard 1A2 hull with a dummy barrel

The OTOMATIC (Leopard 1A2 Hull) at the OTO museum in La Spezia.

Specifications

Spoiler

Basic

• Crew: 4

• Weight: 46 tonnes (46,000 kg)

• Length: 7.3 m

• Width: 3.7 m

• Height: 3.07 m

Mobility

• Propulsion: MTU MB 838 CA M500

• Power: 830 hp

• Max. Speed: 60 kph

• Range: 311 mi

Firepower

• 76 mm OTO-Breda 76/62 “Super Rapido”’- 100 rounds

Protection

• 8 x 76 mm smoke grenade launchers

*Sorry for the lack of specifications, there is very little information available on this variant.

Sources

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/otomatic/

http://www.military-today.com/artillery/otomatic.htm

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=951

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, _Pixy said:

Yeeeessss But I would want it folder'd instead. +1

Foldered is a possibility for sure, I didn't think of that.

4 hours ago, PlanyKaanere said:

Also, maybe the rise to fame of the OTOMATIC system due to its inclusion on WT is what encouraged them to restore the prototype.

Interesting, I didn't think about that before...

Pls not as an event vehicle:crying:. Event vehicles means in most cases, it won't be available for every one and the usually end up overpriced in the marketplace. As a pemium it's ok, in the regular TT would be better.:)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

+1 From me. While it would be good fun to have another OTOMATIC, I don't see this being much more capable than the one already in-game. That is, assuming it didn't get some sort of fancy upgrades during its time as an export vehicle till 1997. But either way, it'll be nice to have another one. 

medal medal

2 hours ago, EvenManatee887@live said:

+1 From me. While it would be good fun to have another OTOMATIC, I don't see this being much more capable than the one already in-game. That is, assuming it didn't get some sort of fancy upgrades during its time as an export vehicle till 1997. But either way, it'll be nice to have another one. 

Nope, it would really play almost the same. The Leopard 1 and OF-40 are so similar there would only be slight mobility differences. That's why it should be a prem, event, or foldered vehicle. 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
7 hours ago, _Condottiero_ said:

is it possible to give this variant better shells, especially considering that it's still alive?

No, and the one still alive doesn’t even have a real cannon. 

medal medal medal

+1 for sure

On 01/11/2020 at 11:12, PlanyKaanere said:

+1

Also, maybe the rise to fame of the OTOMATIC system due to its inclusion on WT is what encouraged them to restore the prototype.

Maybe, it certainly is within the realm of possibility. If that is the case, maybe the addition of future vehicles will bring about more restorations? Who knows?