Mig-21bis - Soviet/Russian camouflage skins

Ein79

Mig-21bis camouflages - Soviet / Russian skins  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think MiG-21bis should get its historical camouflage skin?

• Yes!
    • No! (tell me why)
  2. 2. Which of the following (see pictures below) camouflage skins you would like to receive the most in the game (multiple choice, chose two at least pls):

• Dark European - tricolor/four-color
    • Dark semi-Asian - four color (sand/tan addition)
    • Sand-dominated Asian ones
    • Air Superiority Grey

Mig-21bis appeared in three general types of liveries:

1. Natural metal / aluminum finish. 
2. Multicolor disruptive camouflage. 
3. Air superiority grey. 

Number one is obvious and it is current generic stock skin. Let's take a closer look at disruptive camouflages and air superiority grey finish, which could be paid by GE and/or researchable skins:

Disruptive Camouflages

First of all, it should be noted that there was no official camouflage pattern or a clearly limited palette of shades. This resulted in a large variety, as seen in the pictures and as confirmed by publications:

Spoiler

IXsun9g.jpg

source: MiG-21 Fishbed in Color - Fighting Colors series, Squadron/Signal Publications; 1st edition (October 1989), ISBN-10: 089747225X, ISBN-13: 978-0897472258

At the same time, some regularity can be seen - for units stationed in the European part of the USSR and in the Warsaw Pact countries camouflage was darker, with a greater content of dark green and brown than for Asian part of USSR, but that was also not the strict rule. There were also interesting intermediate types combining "European" and "Asian" camouflage. 

Examples

Darker ones and their sub-types:

a) "dark European  - tricolor/four-color"

jY3Tzfd.jpg

Source: Mikoyan MiG-21 (Famous Russian aircraft) by Yefim Gordon, Dmitriy Komissarov, Midland Publishing, 2008k, ISBN 978-1-85780-257-3.

Real life photos of similarly painted one:
ta8A5kN.jpg

YAgkvxa.jpg

nveS901.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b) "dark semi-Asian - four color" (sand/tan addition)

jz0rUct.jpg

Mt9uFWM.jpg

Source: Mikoyan MiG-21 (Famous Russian aircraft) by Yefim Gordon, Dmitriy Komissarov, Midland Publishing, 2008k, ISBN 978-1-85780-257-3.

Real life photos of similarly painted ones:

y1uUd6I.jpg

ofUZIcK.jpg

(source: https://www.makettinfo.hu/)

wW6uTnd.jpg

tzzA8yz.gif

YJEirBG.jpg

And artistic vision again:
LnSe1Y0.jpg

+
another Mig-21-93 demonstrator, also semi-Asian camouflage:
eOxlleV.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sand-dominated Asian ones 

qCNYmrS.png

Real life photos of similarly painted ones:

95TPt2N.jpg tho3IUY.jpg

HwSkSD8.jpg

3YbyvsI.jpg

RjDi0Mv.jpg

KqsHX61.jpg

NT7RlWl.jpg

SBAKoLs.jpg

kobRMQt.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Superiority Grey

Livery dedicated for high-altitude interceptors. Very similar concept as the all-grey F-4 Phantoms or all-grey EE Lightning. Same color was also used as e.g. livery of Mig-31 and few other Soviet / Russian aircraft. 

Spoiler

RZap5Od.jpg

source: MiG-21 Fishbed in Color - Fighting Colors series, Squadron/Signal Publications; 1st edition (October 1989), ISBN-10: 089747225X, ISBN-13: 978-0897472258

Examples - real life photos:

k48YkLD.jpg

hUmtZlK.jpg

Same formation - as you can see falls slightly into blue:
DtHgysV.jpg

Below - nicely seen difference between air superiority grey and natural metal one:
n9yAoFn.jpg

Post-Soviet one:
anH6SRc.jpg

Again - falls slightly into blue:

mInam8I.jpg

HjaS2aQ.jpg

H74mg2Z.jpg

rDGI2AI.jpg

tycw3P4.jpg

Edited by Einherjer1979
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• Thanks 1

Yes please! As much as I love aircraft in all forms, the 21bis in its bare metal livery is just off to me. Especially with only 5 researchable skins across all Soviet Jets. Two of which are La-15 skins slightly changed from the default skin. One is a MiG-15bis skin with different roundels. And the other 2 are Yak-15/15P unicolor liveries(which those last two are my favorite). That is just disappointing to me, especially now that the new Yak-38M livery is GE only.

There are planes I cant imagine without their iconic bare metal liveries, things like the P-51, B-17G, La-15, MiG-17. But the MiG-21bis? To me that’s like having the default livery for the F4U or Spitfire being unpainted.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 17:20, leroyonly said:

Open for discussion. :salute:

I think we can move it to "implemented" as in  "Hot Tracks" update we got:

MiG-21bis — Additional camouflages that can be obtained by completing tasks or purchasing them for Golden Eagles has been added.

(https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/509599-war-thunder-hot-tracks-changelog/)

And these are skins I asked for :)

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/483776-mig-21bis-camouflages-historical-soviet-russian-skins/&tab=comments#comment-8783871

Edited by Einherjer1979
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

As additional MiG-21bis skins have been added as per update 2.3 Hot Tracks,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions. :salute:

• Thanks 1