Type 90 (Kai)

_David_Bowie_

• Technical Moderator

https://twitter.com/Military_Hobbys/status/1333391038275153921

image0.png

https://administrative-doc.e-gov.go.jp/servlet/Fsearch

Search for 90式戦車(改) from the link above and you will find it.

image0.jpg

It seems to be related to this material

Edited by _David_Bowie_
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You seem to be linking to some document. Could you clarify for those who have problems with Japanese what exactly did you mean? My own knowledge of this topic is rather limited.

As far as I know, the Type 90 received an upgrade around 2010, but it was about the integration of the C4I system and did not affect other aspects of the tank. There are opinions that Japan has projects to urgently increase the combat capability of the Type 90 tank in case of war, by analogy with the 48-ton version of the Type 10, especially since at least rumors about tests of the ERA installation similar to the one on the Type 10 got into the press, but these are nothing more than rumors.

Edited by Hronomant
medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator
6 hours ago, wulfalier said:

Could you give more info or are you reffering to a model of Type 90 ala this

やっと完成。90式戦車改|The Man in the HMT|note

or this?

90式戦車改 - ニコニコ静画 (イラスト)

6 hours ago, Kenshin_Uesugi said:

Fictional JGSDF Type 90 Modified from the world of GunGriffonFictional.

3 hours ago, Hronomant said:

You seem to be linking to some document. Could you clarify for those who have problems with Japanese what exactly did you mean? My own knowledge of this topic is rather limited.

As far as I know, the Type 90 received an upgrade around 2010, but it was about the integration of the C4I system and did not affect other aspects of the tank. There are opinions that Japan has projects to urgently increase the combat capability of the Type 90 tank in case of war, by analogy with the 48-ton version of the Type 10, especially since at least rumors about tests of the ERA installation similar to the one on the Type 10 got into the press, but these are nothing more than rumors.

This project is an official Japanese project and was recently discovered

It means that the project is actually going on, not a imagination

In the official JGSDF document published earlier this year, there was a project to share equipment of type 90 and type 10.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • Technical Moderator
3 hours ago, JuicyKuuuuki said:

So basically just add-on armor in case there's a need for such protection level. Hopefully this is real XD Would love it to be real ;-;

In common sense, it will be improvement of electrical equipment (computer, communication devices etc.)

1 hour ago, aizenns said:

In common sense, it will be improvement of electrical equipment (computer, communication devices etc.)

Is this a separate modification from the one where the C4I systems were implemented onto them?

medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator
4 hours ago, Wiggly_Armed_Man said:

Is this a separate modification from the one where the C4I systems were implemented onto them?

idk

• Technical Moderator

I'm sorry, apparently things I said previously are wrong... According to Disclosure request by Japanese twitter user, in Type 90 Kai project they will make possible to share 120 mm tank gun AP shell. (It means Type 90 tank will get Type 10 APFSDS. Perhaps they replace the main gun... or develop Type 10 APFSDS with decreased propellant charge... Anything is unknown. Only title of document was published.)

Also, they have a project to improve APFSDS for MCV. (DAIKIN is manufacturing not only air conditioning systems but also ammunitions)

https://twitter.com/yahou5/status/1355106961222635526?s=20

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aizenns said:

I'm sorry, apparently things I said previously are wrong... According to Disclosure request by Japanese twitter user, in Type 90 Kai project they will make possible to share 120 mm tank gun AP shell. (It means Type 90 tank will get Type 10 APFSDS. Perhaps they replace the main gun... or develop Type 10 APFSDS with decreased propellant charge... Anything is unknown. Only title of document was published.)

Also, they have a project to improve APFSDS for MCV. (DAIKIN is manufacturing not only air conditioning systems but also ammunitions)

https://twitter.com/yahou5/status/1355106961222635526?s=20

Type-90 having type-10 apfsds sounds interesting.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'm guessing it's a brand new APFSDS being designed for the Type 90 since it is Daikin handling the contract. If it was a gun swap then that would've been handled by JSW or Mitsubishi themselves. My best guess is that we get something pretty close to Type 10 performance where they swap out a filler for a more temperature stable version kind of like DM53->63. Also pretty excited to see new APFSDS for the MCV since Type 93 is starting to feel pretty outdated, especially when the MCV is the core of the GSDF atm.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal